Red Creek/Verde River Confluence (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

LandCruiserPhil

Peter Pan Syndrome
Supporting Vendor
Threads
A couple of years ago I went down to the Verde via Red Creek. Once you get down to the camp ground there isnt a road to speak of you just follow the creek. The creek (trail?) changes all the time due to run off. I would not consider it a road at all just a creek bed with big rocks, water ruts, and sometimes mud.

Take pictures

HTH

LandCruiserPhil said:
A couple of years ago I went down to the Verde via Red Creek. Once you get down to the camp ground there isnt a road to speak of you just follow the creek. The creek (trail?) changes all the time due to run off. I would not consider it a road at all just a creek bed with big rocks, water ruts, and sometimes mud.

Take pictures

HTH

I thought I remembered someone telling me that they had been there-- and it must have been you. Don't you have a picture of your 40 there?

You say there is a campground there? Can you elaborate-- is it just a good camping spot but not an "official" campground? How far from the Verde is this place? Ideally, I would like to camp close to the river-- I have been wanting to try and catch some catfish. But I am flexible.

Jared

sjpitts said:
I thought I remembered someone telling me that they had been there-- and it must have been you. Don't you have a picture of your 40 there?

You say there is a campground there? Can you elaborate-- is it just a good camping spot but not an "official" campground? How far from the Verde is this place? Ideally, I would like to camp close to the river-- I have been wanting to try and catch some catfish. But I am flexible.

Jared

You are correct "not official" and not very close to the water.

If you want to camp close to the river may I suggest the other side of the river? If you come in from Horseshoe side going around Chalk Mountain, about 1/4 - 1/2 mile before you reach Sheep’s Bridge you can drop down to the river. This is a very sandy spot and normally requiring 4WD to get around and get out. In the past it has been clean and usually no one else to deal with and a good place for the kids to run.

Another place on the River that is EZ to get to if you know where you are going is at the end of Indian Springs wash(see photo). Its RHINO approved for fishing and a nice spot.

Phil
Mvc-335s.jpg

This is all very interesting. My only experiance in the area has been one trip where we came in to sheeps crossing from bloody basin, crossed the river at sheeps crossing, and went south toward Horseshoe, where went back across over horsehoe dam.

I am guessing that both the indian springs area chalk mountain are south of sheeps bridge-- is that correct? I don't recall seeing these on the map, but I don't have it in front of me. I think red creek is the only vehicle access point north of sheeps crossing (Till you get to Childs)

Jared

One more question Phil--can you define "not very close" to the water for the camping area on Red creek? Yards? Miles? The pictures I saw at Stu Off-road looked like you could camp at the Verde, although it may not be ideal-- they also say that there is a good spot about a mile away. That is probably what you are talking about.

Of course, you can camp just about anyware for one night.

http://www.stu-offroad.com/others/other4-2.htm

sjpitts said:
This is all very interesting. My only experiance in the area has been one trip where we came in to sheeps crossing from bloody basin, crossed the river at sheeps crossing, and went south toward Horseshoe, where went back across over horsehoe dam.

I am guessing that both the indian springs area chalk mountain are south of sheeps bridge-- is that correct? I don't recall seeing these on the map, but I don't have it in front of me. I think red creek is the only vehicle access point north of sheeps crossing (Till you get to Childs)

Jared

One more question Phil--can you define "not very close" to the water for the camping area on Red creek? Yards? Miles? The pictures I saw at Stu Off-road looked like you could camp at the Verde, although it may not be ideal-- they also say that there is a good spot about a mile away. That is probably what you are talking about.

Of course, you can camp just about anyware for one night.

http://www.stu-offroad.com/others/other4-2.htm

Jared If I was to guess it would be 1 mile or more.

You should be able to find room to camp a the water. From what I remember its not real big.

HTH
Phil

aha!!! yes indain springs is nice,,, jared if you dont know its locale, it is at the end of trail42/telegraph line. or on your way to bartlett you cross indian springs wash, on the left you can drop into the wash and simply take it all the way to the river. when you are comming into the river from the wash, go at about 10 o'clock direction and you will see where to cross the river, if you follow the bank you will see where phil took his pic, if you bear right up a small river rock hill and follow the faint trail you will come to a great catfish bend in the river.

i dont know how you got across the horshoe dam its always been locked, but if you want to come up from the south towards sheeps bridge you can get there easily. from bartlett lake rd take the horshoe turnoff towards horshoe, you will come upon a cattle staging/loading area on your left (youve no doubt seen it many times) on your right opposite this you will see a trail going off, actually two, (one bends back sharply), take the leftish fork and you will cross the river at 3 points, from here just stay on the larger trail and you will eventually drive along the N and W sides of horshoe and ultimately to sheeps bridge.

The way we got across the dam is kind of interesting. We were just following the map, and it showed the trail crossing my the dam. My dad was with us, and he said he had crossed the dam several times, but the last time was probably in the early 1970's. When we got to the dam it was locked, and we were sitting around pondering what to do when an old rancher with a key came up behind. He knew my dad somehow and let us cross with him.

I was sort of bummed that they closed the dam crossing, but at least there are other crossings around. It is probably good, it keeps out the riff raff.

On an unrelated note, I have now run into into BMAN twice in four days-- once at Harbor Freight in Mesa and once at a Chicago hot dog place in phoenix. What are the chances of that? And even more shocking-- while eating with BMAN we saw Dave Gore, who does not even live in this valley anymore.

Jared

huh what ARE the chances??.... and seeing dave, also pretty strange, did he eat wit ya'll or just driving by??

Dave was eating lunch there, but we didn't see him till he was on his way out. The chances were low, very low.

BTW, that place would be a good alternate location for a landcruiser meeting. Good food, very good. I don't know what it is called, Chicago something, but it is on 38th Street & Indian School.

Jared

Chicago Hamburger company. Lot is small though, real small. Although a saturday afternoon postlunch meeting could be good there. Actually the odds are 100% that we would run into each other 2 times in 3 days... IT HAPPENED.

BWAHAHAHA!!! RUSH you must still be in that funky mood....

yup chicano hamburger co. is pretty good, petes fish-n-chips is right around the corner yummm. though its not the same as it used to be, i know frequent the knock kneed lobster for that, although el paso bbq co. has a real good catfish dinner.

Paul's little Philly right down the street on Indian School ia nother great hole in the wall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom