Red Creek/FR18 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have plans to make a run to Red Creek/FR18 with some Boy Scouts later in the month. Last weekend I wanted to pre-run the trip so I headed out with a buddy to check it out. I didn't check the Daily Water Report and had a rude awakening. Normally the first crossing below horse shoe is mid way up my tires...not this trip. The second crossing was impassible...even with the "chick digging" snorkel.

As I won't have another chance to pre-run the trip; has anyone been up there lately? I'd like to know the condition of the trail. My plan is to take a stock 4WD Tacoma up there and want to make sure the trail won't be too much for it.

Thought I'd ask...

Following are pix of the trip.

First Crossing
photo%20%281%29.jpg

spillway...
photo%20%282%29.jpg

Second Crossing
photo.jpg

Last edited:
You can access Red Creek off the 7 springs as most people do. If you cross below horseshoe you will also need to cross at Sheep Bridge, possible not passable also and much harded to gauge off of water reports IMO.

At 1250 CFM (present rate) you will make the news as missing along with you vehicle, even with a snorkel. FWIW I will not cross above 400 CFM unless Jennifer Aniston is looking for a snorkel ride.:grinpimp:

Ya...I wasn't about to cross. I think they are running the rivers for spring run off. By the end of the month I don't think it will be running 1250. But I'll do a better job of checking.

You can access Red Creek off the 7 springs as most people do.

you are not supposed to cross the River at Red Creek Crossing in a vehicle - the other side is wilderness, as is everything close to the river north of FR18

when we did FR18 years ago, there was mucho brush :eek: and tons of no-see-ums :mad:

last I checked it was closed by the Forest Service anyway

you are not supposed to cross the River at Red Creek Crossing in a vehicle - the other side is wilderness, as is everything close to the river north of FR18

when we did FR18 years ago, there was mucho brush :eek: and tons of no-see-ums :mad:

last I checked it was closed by the Forest Service anyway

Did someone say something about crossing the river at Red Creek:confused:

I would be surprised the Tonto National Forest Service would publish THIS if it was closed.

The old maps show FR18 providing access to an air strip

FR18 was part of the batch of closings that happened after the fire at Bartlett/FR42.
We never checked whether they allowed access again since that time, so the closing might have been temporary.

Did someone say something about crossing the river at Red Creek:confused:

I would be surprised the Tonto National Forest Service would publish THIS if it was closed.

The old maps show FR18 providing access to an air strip

I have seen aircraft land on and start from the strip :D :cool:

as Michael said, it was closed after the fire - the travel management plan shows it as a corridor with change to being closed - part of it runs through private land, so it would be relatively easy to declare it closed before that - if it hasn't been traveled on lately, the brush and growth will be significant; I remember that there were places where we could barely fit the Blazer through

about a year ago I called the Cave Creek Ranger Station and asked, and they had it on their closed list then - since the Travel Management Plan hasn't been finalized yet, I assume that this was still a temporary closure - haven't asked for updates lately

Hey Brit,

You can also get to that area from the Bloody Basin Rd exit from I-17. The road is smoother than that long Horseshoe Lake road!

i dont know about any closure,,,, before x-mas 1.5 yrs ago it was a pretty nice medium rated trail for a stock rig. then the rain and red creek flooded bigtime, i could see evidence of water 8ft deep running through there. the creek to the verde from FR18 was a real rockgarden and boulder field,,, i was smackin and draggin the FJ55 from about the halfway point the rest of the way to the river. i was just out there again a couple months ago and it has had a pretty decent trail worn back into it from various off road vehicles, but i think its still a bit much for a stock 4x4 clearance wise.

the airstrip is at the end of red creek right at the verde, and planes still go there for picnics and stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom