Recovery point for integrated bumper tow hitch (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have an '05 with the integrated tow hitch in the bumper. I do have the insert, but I don't have any receivers that will fit in it. If I ever tow with it, I'll grind down the corners of one.

My issue is a recovery point. I'd like to buy a reciever recovery point, but I don't want to buy 10 to find one that works. Does anyone have one that fits and remembers the brand? I have a Rhino USA one, but it won't fit. ( And I can't find it after my move ) I may end up grinding the corners of one, but figured I'd ask before I went that route.

My 2004 LX470 has the integrated bumper hitch with the protruding safety chain eyelets. Was looking for a shackle block for the hitch but most would not allow for the D-ring to be inserted due to location of those eyelets. Found this block from Agency6 that has double side hole and single top hole. This top hole allows the block to stick out enough for the D-ring to be inserted (vertically) and just barely kisses the rubber of my spare (285/60 R18 KO2). Seems like a good product.
Agency6 shackle block.jpg

The other option is just inserting the end of the recovery strap into the receiver. The load is still on the pin, still on the strap.
Don't worry about "The edges of the receiver will cut the strap". They won't. Good straps are reinforced at the loop.
Don't worry about "It doesn't even load the pin." It does - just as evenly, if not more so, than an inflexible receiver hitch... which has never been an issue.
Bonus: Less crap to buy and have rattling around in your truck ;)

My 2004 LX470 has the integrated bumper hitch with the protruding safety chain eyelets. Was looking for a shackle block for the hitch but most would not allow for the D-ring to be inserted due to location of those eyelets. Found this block from Agency6 that has double side hole and single top hole. This top hole allows the block to stick out enough for the D-ring to be inserted (vertically) and just barely kisses the rubber of my spare (285/60 R18 KO2). Seems like a good product.View attachment 2208924

I was actually looking at that exact same one, but after reading the post below yours,....

The other option is just inserting the end of the recovery strap into the receiver. The load is still on the pin, still on the strap.
Don't worry about "The edges of the receiver will cut the strap". They won't. Good straps are reinforced at the loop.
Don't worry about "It doesn't even load the pin." It does - just as evenly, if not more so, than an inflexible receiver hitch... which has never been an issue.

This is exactly the remedy I need. That saves me ~$60 that will go into something else. Thanks Manhattan!!!

This is exactly the remedy I need. That saves me ~$60 that will go into something else. Thanks Manhattan!!!

I also like the idea of saving some cash and having fewer heavy things rattling around but they don't look nearly as cool. When you don't have any cool after-market bumpers with a winch, or sliders, or high-lift jack and MaxTrax attached to the roof rack, how are people going to know you are a serious off-roader if you don't have this hitch thingy ? ;)

Seriously, thank you to @Manhattan for reminding me that I don't necessarily need to spend money to get the functionality that I REALLY need. I guess my only question would be is around the hitch pin since that would seem to be the obvious weak point in this scenario. I have a couple of standard pins laying around that I got with some trailer hitches in years past. Would those suffice to support the load of pulling a loaded LC/LX out of a mud bog?

I also like the idea of saving some cash and having fewer heavy things rattling around but they don't look nearly as cool. When you don't have any cool after-market bumpers with a winch, or sliders, or high-lift jack and MaxTrax attached to the roof rack, how are people going to know you are a serious off-roader if you don't have this hitch thingy ? ;)

Seriously, thank you to @Manhattan for reminding me that I don't necessarily need to spend money to get the functionality that I REALLY need. I guess my only question would be is around the hitch pin since that would seem to be the obvious weak point in this scenario. I have a couple of standard pins laying around that I got with some trailer hitches in years past. Would those suffice to support the load of pulling a loaded LC/LX out of a mud bog?
The original poster was asking if anyone was using a shackle block that would fit the integrated bumpers we have on many of our LX's becuase he wanted to use it as a recovery point. I've used it twice, works great and it isn't there to look cool...so I recommended it. Hope I helped him out.

The original poster was asking if anyone was using a shackle block that would fit the integrated bumpers we have on many of our LX's becuase he wanted to use it as a recovery point. I've used it twice, works great and it isn't there to look cool...so I recommended it. Hope I helped him out.

@WxSpotter I hope you weren't offended at my comments. I was poking fun at myself because I want all those things, including the hitch recovery point, partially because they look cool. I appreciate anyone who gives advice in a helpful way. Please accept my apology if my comments were misconstrued as a smartass remark about the advice you'd given.

My 2004 LX470 has the integrated bumper hitch with the protruding safety chain eyelets. Was looking for a shackle block for the hitch but most would not allow for the D-ring to be inserted due to location of those eyelets. Found this block from Agency6 that has double side hole and single top hole. This top hole allows the block to stick out enough for the D-ring to be inserted (vertically) and just barely kisses the rubber of my spare (285/60 R18 KO2). Seems like a good product.View attachment 2208924
I have the same problem... This is a great option.

@WxSpotter I hope you weren't offended at my comments. I was poking fun at myself because I want all those things, including the hitch recovery point, partially because they look cool. I appreciate anyone who gives advice in a helpful way. Please accept my apology if my comments were misconstrued as a smartass remark about the advice you'd given.
Not offended @BigMF and no apology necessary. Just wanted other LX members with the integrated bumper to know of an option for hitch recovery. I'm sure linking the recovery strap to hitch pin will work...I just prefer the speed/ease of throwing a "D" ring on to the shackle and doing the job without crawling under the rear (especially if muddy), pulling the pin and feeding the strap, etc. Not sure if the shackle is stronger or more secure than lacing strap direct to pin...but just seems that way. Worth 60 bucks to me. Whatever works for you is best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom