Recovery gear always on hand (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Come on, i can't believe everybody missed two very important items to always have on hand, duck tape, and toilet paper. The last one is VERY, VERY, important to have on hand if you get stuck while wheeling with your wife, or grand daughters. Ask me how i found this out the hard way.

Come on, i can't believe everybody missed two very important items to always have on hand, duck tape, and toilet paper. The last one is VERY, VERY, important to have on hand if you get stuck while wheeling with your wife, or grand daughters. Ask me how i found this out the hard way.
As a recovering parent, this is a very good point.

I interpreted the OP’s question to pertain strictly to certain vehicle recovery items. I guess we can add tools and medical kits, and other emergency items like flash lights, clothing, blankets, food, fire extinguishers, jacks, air compressors, battery starters, weapons...where does it end? Is this what the OP is really asking?

The OP asked what recovery gear people carry.

No doubt a fire extinguisher, first aid kit, tools, tire patch kits, air compressor, and other emergency items are essential but do they really qualify as recovery items that the OP was asking about.

I am surprised nobody has mentioned things like a wool blanket, extra emergency clothes/jackets, and a surplus military sleeping bag in case you have to spend a cold night stranded somewhere. Or how about extra fuses and hardware? Don't forget the emergency seat belt cutter and glass breaker. Than there is the always important roll of toilet paper, a few mre's, and a water filter. Did I mention some sort of survival firearm? Than there is the emergency flares, flare gun, and flint striker if you ever need to start a fire. Also you always need some lights, including but not limited to a headlight, a handheld flashlight, and some sort of magnetic work light. And never forget a compass!!!!!

Funny thing is I am not joking, other than the flares I usually have most of these things in my rig whenever I hit the washboard.
So, how do you recover a vehicle stuck in the mud with flashlights, jackets, water filters toilet paper etc?

I thought it was a recovery gear thread.

guess this is all tools, all emergency supplies, all trail fix items and camping supplies as well. Sorry this is confusing

Full length shovel
Maxtrax
Hi-Lift
10K winch
-In the tailgate-
Recovery gloves
Folding saw
Folding shovel
Trail Axe
Snatch Block
3 shackles
2 soft shackles
Treesaver
Snatch Strap
70’ winch extension
2” recovery hitch mount

Last edited:
Full length shovel
Maxtrax
Hi-Lift
10K winch
-In the tailgate-
Recovery gloves
Folding saw
Folding shovel
Trail Axe
Snatch Block
3 Van Beest shackles
2 soft shackles
Treesaver
Snatch Strap
70’ winch extension
2” recovery hitch mount
View attachment 2679026

Impressive photo pose, I’m impressed !

Things you do when you WFH haha

So, how do you recover a vehicle stuck in the mud with flashlights, jackets, water filters toilet paper etc?

guess this is all tools, all emergency supplies, all trail fix items and camping supplies as well. Sorry this is confusing

The OP asked what sort of recovery gear we kept in our daily driver on a daily basis. Actually he kinda asked a broader question too: "What do you always have in your rig for daily driving?" He did not ask what you carried on a daily basis specifically in case you came across someone stuck in the mud. I am pretty sure his intent was not that narrow. Maybe it was. I can only go by what he actually wrote. So personally I will not bitch that some responses were a bit broader than they might have been. Now if you start listing/bragging about every thing you carry around for those spur of the moment vast Overlanding Expeditions to... wherever it is that that you day dream of "overlanding" to someday... yep, I agree that is not what he asked about. ;)

But... you do not consider a flashlight part of basic "always have it in the rig" recovery gear? I sure do. Ever crawled under an unfamiliar rig after dark? Ever stopped to help someone out on your way to dinner? Been there done that more than a few times. A tarp or beat up jacket or even coveralls might come in real handy as you kneel, crawl or slide around in the dirt mud or snow. Nope, I do not carry either of the latter two in the rig every day. Not purposely as part of always in the rig recovery gear. Well, I guess I do in the winter... which can be long sometimes.

Does helping some cutie with a dead battery not qualify as "recovery" in a daily driver environment? I will call it that. Helping her get back on the road with a fixed flat is as much an urban recovery as tugging her out of a ditch I would say. That is just as true if she is beside the road 50 miles from the nearest ANYTHING. More so. Got a few new phone numbers that way... and some brownies and other thank yous too. :cool:

And that reminds me... I need to get some sort of compressor/tire pump back in my rig as a daily carry. I ran over a broken screw driver the other day and luckily was already at a friend's house when I came out to discover a very flat tire. Plug kit or not, that would have sucked if I had still been on the road when the tire died on me.

Would you EVER consider yourself equipped for any recovery without at least a minimum of tools? You know, for loosening stuck shackles, fixing a broke wire on a winch remote... whatever the F might happen at any given time that you can not remedy with your super duper mechanics fingernails. I know that you have some sort of tools in the rig and surely you would use them in a recovery if needed.

I guess I won't claim that I carry a life jacket as part of my daily driver recovery gear however. That would REALLY be silly. :oops:

I do keep my throwrope/bag in the truck 90% of the time. Never needed it to help any cutie or clueless wannabe adventurer who pulled into an unplowed turn out that was deeper than she/he thought though. Not yet.

But it does not take up much room, and yes, it is recovery gear. So I guess I could count it? :hmm:

Anyway, food for thought, counterpoint or whatever. :)

Mark...

Last edited:
I carry..
Tools, some spare nuts and bolts
first aid kit
Mylar blanket
recovery straps
shackles
butane lighter
flashlight and headlamp
leather gloves
safety wire and pliers
sleeping bag insert
rain coat
camping stove and few cans of soup
2 gallons of water
hand held ham radio
2 pre-rolled joints
bottle of jameson
jack
winch in the bumper
paper towel
toilet paper
oil
firestarter sticks
shovel
jumper cables
colt 1911

I covered all my recovery gear in my 1st post, post #5.

In the post you quoted I was trying to make a point of all the people posting non-recovery gear...... Hence the reason I started the post off by saying
The OP asked what recovery gear people carry.

No doubt a fire extinguisher, first aid kit, tools, tire patch kits, air compressor, and other emergency items are essential but do they really qualify as recovery items that the OP was asking about.

See, what I did here is call out the fact that everyone was listing non recovery items in a thread where the OP only asked about recovery items. Really I was the first one to point this out. Than I proceeded to also list a bunch of non-recovery related items sarcasticly.

My attempt at a sarcastic post must have had stealth capabilities because it seems to have flown right over your head without being picked up on your radar...😉 :beer:

I carry Treaty Oak Offroad’s Weekend Warrior kit in my truck all the time.

I carry one of these just in case the zombie apocalypse comes and one of @Mark W 's cuties needs help. :cool:

1621518848152.png

Two pages deep and apparently I'm the only one considering a AAA Platinum Membership a must have recovery tool? Three hundred mile tows per year or a single 200 mile tow.

The things others have listed (I do carry some or most of that) will get you to the trailhead. The AAA card gets your rig to the house or a shop if needed.

@b16 ... don't think you snuck in those 2 pre-rolled joints on us. One of those is good for when you are waiting on AAA to get there. :flipoff2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom