recovering stock seats (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1978freebornred

78 fj40 LE and 79 fj40 LE w/ stock ac
Threads
Website
forum.ih8mud.com
I am removing the rust off of some stock seats i picked up and im about to tear into the front seats has anybody done this? and could they give me any hindsight? i went to a leather supply shop and i think im going to get my stuff there its the best place in town... the foam in the covers is wore on the seats but the foam underneath is good fro what i can tell.

Make sure the covers are warm. Otherwise, reassemble with new clips/hooks.

Yep - just pay attention to how they come apart and put back together the same way. I went with zip ties instead of hog rings with mine, prolly wont last as long but much easier to work with (and will last as long as the vinyl). Here's a couple of pics of the final product -

1000000440.jpg

1000000441.jpg

These are a OEM replica of the early "coral" color from AATLAS -

Tucker

I redid the seats in my 79. I replaced the bottom foam with Spectors. I bought the kit from Shane, comes with all the hardware. I had the backs redone at an upholstery shop since I wasn't happy with the way they came out when I did them. They added some batting which made a huge difference, Shane has some good photos on this 81 resto thread. I had all the metal blasted and powder coated. Cleaned all the plastic bits and painted the recliner lever covers with Duplicolor vinyl/plastic paint.

I used the head rest covers from Spector as well.

If you plan to do it yourself, clean and paint the frames. You want them clean when you are wrestling with them. Buy a decent set of hog ring pliers, and dikes. When you are taking them apart take note how they come apart. Id take off a set and give it to the shop so they get it right.

Used the cruisercorps covers on mine, nice covers and sure beats using duct tape. Used zip ties to hold cover in approximate position and then used the hog rings. Easy to do, just took some patience and a warm room to work in. Foam can be a bit of a pain to wiggle around and get in proper position. Good luck !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom