1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reconstruction Progress.

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by beno, Mar 6, 2007.

1. beno

beno Gihee Arakawa Moderator GOLD Star

Media:
    Albums:
    Well, I've been working really hard at nights mostly putting my truck back together again.

Yesterday, I finished rebuilding the front end and corrected the sxfer case linkage that was a bit bent up. I basically took it out, hammered it back to true (or as true as it could get) and reinstalled it. Works perfectly. Onur is happy.

Today, I finished draining all of the fluids in the truck and starting anew again.

And today, finally, I am getting a new winshield for the rig--$250 installed. Not bad.

I was able to use a dead-blow hammer and pound out much of the body damage on the driver's side rear quarter...but alot of it is just hard to get to, so for now it says as is. A friendly reminder of my nice incident.

Secondly, the roof is still fawked up. Not sure how to proceed on this. Going to think for a bit on this.

I was able to use a pry bar to open up the rear hatch and to get it so it would open and close, but it is skewed to one side. When it is closed there is about a .25" gap on the passenger side beyond the weather stripping. I don't know if I want to go in and screw around with it. We'll see.

As you can see from the pictures, the sunroof area is going to be tough to deal with and tackle. As I mentioned before, I am really tempted to just take out the window, try to true the frame around it, and then weld in a piece of sheet metal (12 gauge/14 gauge). This'll be tough (at least for someone new to body work like me-self).

I started up the truck and let it run for about twenty minutes last night. It idled perfectly at 700rpms and no smoke or anything. It was nice to hear the 1FZ ticking away.

Anyway, some pics. I'll update this thread with more progress. I hope to have everything ready to roll for the 27th, which is when I am hitting the road for New Mexico.

Best regards.
    -onur
    Oberlin, OH
    P3060103.JPG P3060104.JPG P3060105.JPG

2. beno

Media:
    Albums:
    A few more.
    P3060106.JPG P3060107.JPG

3. Polak

Polak

Good luck man!

Thought of a donor vehicle for the roof? I'd offset the cost for a few things if you find one. Lemme know.

AJ

4. e9999

e9999 You want to do what...? Moderator

aren't you moving to the SW?

how about a ragtop?

5. KliersLC

KliersLC

Sunroof looks fine to me....:D

I'm glad you are getting her put back together

6. Doc

Doc

Media:
    Albums:
    I die a little inside when I look at that.

At least it's coming back from the grave, not going into it. Kudos for not giving up on it right away, many would have.

I tell you what, you'll be an expert on body work by the time you are 'done'.

I got to be pretty good at minor body work/ painting when I still had my 60. You do enough of anything, you figure out the tricks to it.

Good luck!

7. NorCalDoug

NorCalDoug problems solved daily...

good to seem some progress already.

:cheers:

8. Slomo

Slomo It's Complicated

Excellent progress. Glad to see you are able to make the best of a bad situation. Worst part is you are supposed to have some good karma coming your way after that cool Christmans give-away you did. :confused: Best of luck.

9. DanKunz

DanKunz SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    woohoo! Go Beno!! :)

10. beno

Media:
    Albums:
    Well, I took it out for a spin on its maiden voyage.

No weird engine sounds, brakes stopped just fine and I was easily able to drop into 4L and actuate the lockers. Good news so far.

Bad news was that when I got home after a ten minute drive, there was steam coming out of the radiator/front grill. Got some rags and took the cap off and lots o fluid came out--looks like it over heated.

I was planning on replacing thermostat/gasket, radiator cap and flushing the system anyway, so I hope this will take care of the problem. Fan clutch is new blue model less than 6 months old. Hoses are all new within past year.

We'll see. I hope the radiator did not clog up...hate to pull that sucker out....

Anyway, that's all for today. Gotta run.

11. DTAYLOR

DTAYLOR

Good luck man. I applaud your tenacity.

12. Grench

Grench SILVER Star

You said you were kicking around ideas for the roof. Take or leave whatever advice you please. It's your truck.

IMHO as far as the roof goes... True it up enough to make the doors close, the windshield line up and weld in a plate on the sunroof. Keep the dents that don't interfere. They're well earned and add character. Then just coat the roof in the same bedliner product you have on the rest of it. I don't know that I'd even bother to spend much time grinding the sunroof welds.

You'll never have a perfect mall cruiser again. I think you crossed that line when you beadlinered it however long ago. I know that was the point of no return for me.

Good luck on the trip!

13. aim

aim

Coming from you, that is high praise! Good luck to both of you!

14. Tools R Us

Tools R Us

Brother Brian did one, mostly used a 4 ton porta power and a come-along. The trick is to study how and where the structure is bent and applying force to return it to it's original location. Don't try to push one spot all of the way back in one push, make a spot move, move to another spot, push, repeat.

We removed the entire interior, except the dash and used floor mounts for the seats, etc to push on. Bolted scrap angle iron to the seat mounts, welded more scrap metal to them to form a structure to spread the load on the floor and used wood blocks, sheet, planks across the added metal to allow for better pushing angles.

For some of the upper pushes, blocks of wood were shaped, carved with the grinder to the needed profile, the used under the end of the porta-power to spread the push and shape the metal back into place.

The roof on his truck was down about 7" at the left front corner and the whole roof structure was over to the right about 3". With the structure pushed over, the skins (quarters, roof, sheet metal) are stretched on one side and loose on the other, so working on the skins before straightening the structure makes it much harder. As your pushing the structure the stress on the skins will be relieved and they will "jump" back into place much easier. He didn't replace any sheet metal on this truck.:hillbilly: I probably would have replaced the front doors and at least the front roof skin around the sunroof, but he did a very nice job of straightening them.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=56182

15. Romer

Romer fatherofdaughterofromer Moderator

Have you verifed the fan is running and something didn't get out of alignment and jam it?

Nice work, nice to see the progress.

16. Tools R Us

Tools R Us

On Brian's the door pillars were bowed out from the roof impact. We used nylon strap to hook to them on each side, about half the way up, at the door latch locations and a come a long to pull them together, while pushing up on the roof, straightened them right out.

17. TiredIronGRB

TiredIronGRB

Just get all the doors and windows functional and run it!

Slick, dentless bodies are highly overated:D

18. PabloVTA

PabloVTA beside La Caja China SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    could you use the holes for the roof strips and place some angle iron across it and srew that down onto the roof, then throw a strap over the roof beam of the garage and use a come along to lift the roof up as you push from below? Attach a bolt or cut a hole thru the angle to tie the strap to it in different places, and maybe the weight of the 80 will drop the body down while you lift the roof panel with the come along?

might help it keep it in plane better?

just my polish engineering mind thinking out loud.

I can get you a huge piece of lexan and some industrial glue for the sunroof window. add some rivets and it wont go anywhere.

19. Skim

Skim

Dents are cool.

20. Rookie2

Rookie2

Hey Beno.

Good to see you're getting back at it.

I wonder if it would be worthwhile to remove the headliner and interior trim, take it to a body shop and see if they can square everything back up a bit. I'd say with the right tools and know how, they could get her back pretty good for maybe not to much. The main thing you want is to be able to close doors and the thing not leak like a sieve when it rains.

Anyways, just a thought. Take care.

:beer:
    Rookie2