Builds Reconstruction after rollover - building The Champ 2. (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

A fridge!?!? You are getting soft on us. 😄
You had to go and make that comment didn’t you??? Now I’m doubting the need for a fridge. It only took 7 years to talk myself into buying one.

Just had 10 days on the road with fridge/freezer in the back.
Packed 10 days worth of fresh food and pre-made, home made meals, and only had to supplement with a small shop for eggs, bacon, bread, milk.
Beats friggin about with ice.
I've done the purpose made ice, and bags of ice in a high quality ice box.
Can't beat a good fridge.

Took me a long time to buckle. I bought the fridge with cash bonus paid to me by my boss

Today I installed a cool little gadget made by PSC called a Fluid Anti-Splash Valve. Since I installed the PSC steering fluid reservoir last spring I’ve been leaking PS fluid through the vent hose that exits the cap when wheeling and the front axle ends up wet with fluid. Since I don’t like oily messes nor do I want to be the guy leaking PS fluid on ground I went on a search for the answer and found this product.

It’s a valved cylinder that keeps 6psi of pressure in the reservoir keeping the fluid down and never foamy. I suspect that maintaining a positive head pressure on the system will keep the pump happy too.

The bolt holes in its bracket wouldn’t quite span the two existing threaded holes in the fender where I chose to mount it so I made a little extension bracket and attached it to the valve with a counter sink screw from the back after I countersunk the back of the aluminum bracket.

According to PSC there won’t be a drop of fluid lost next time I roll over. :flipoff2:
27D0DDAC-F518-4769-AAFC-D270D91CF2FC.jpeg
C010075F-824F-4429-80B7-78B297F8AECD.jpeg
6868B979-0EDE-486A-A676-33474437C77F.jpeg
DB56B7D7-51E3-4A0E-92AC-0DF1E5AC8525.jpeg

Today I installed a cool little gadget made by PSC called a Fluid Anti-Splash Valve. Since I installed the PSC steering fluid reservoir last spring I’ve been leaking PS fluid through the vent hose that exits the cap when wheeling and the front axle ends up wet with fluid. Since I don’t like oily messes nor do I want to be the guy leaking PS fluid on ground I went on a search for the answer and found this product.

It’s a valved cylinder that keeps 6psi of pressure in the reservoir keeping the fluid down and never foamy. I suspect that maintaining a positive head pressure on the system will keep the pump happy too.

The bolt holes in its bracket wouldn’t quite span the two existing threaded holes in the fender where I chose to mount it so I made a little extension bracket and attached it to the valve with a counter sink screw from the back after I countersunk the back of the aluminum bracket.

According to PSC there won’t be a drop of fluid lost next time I roll over. :flipoff2:
Nice, I just got one yesterday lol. Paired with their dual inlet reservoir/ filter. I'm hoping to NOT to experience the rollover test tho.

Nice, I just got one yesterday lol. Paired with their dual inlet reservoir/ filter. I'm hoping to NOT to experience the rollover test tho.
The inlet dedicated to the hydro booster is very nice. My first season after installing the booster it’s return was tee’d into the return from the fluid cooler which is a lagit set up but didn’t work well with the stock reservoir I was still running. The system would make noise when I steered or applied brakes while aired down and on the trail and especially at high elevation. The PSC reservoir with a dedicated booster return fixed that.

According to PSC there won’t be a drop of fluid lost next time I roll over. :flipoff2:View attachment 2994853View attachment 2994850View attachment 2994849View attachment 2994851
For me I found that running the reservoir and little below full fixed the issue.
The reservoir holds about three times the fluid so it not a problem.

For me I found that running the reservoir and little below full fixed the issue.
The reservoir holds about three times the fluid so it not a problem.
Mine has never been more than 2/3 full.

More carnage from the hammers. I am doing a routine Front wheel bearing adjustment and this fell out. Now, the question is, do I go for the HD gear or stick with standard material as the part that breaks? I read about Aisin hubs continuing to operate even when broken. This one came out in
7DD4D446-AFB3-4C2F-A2BE-6E4C7278F081.jpeg
one piece until it was free of the hub housing.

More carnage from the hammers. I am doing a routine Front wheel bearing adjustment and this fell out. Now, the question is, do I go for the HD gear or stick with standard material as the part that breaks? I read about Aisin hubs continuing to operate even when broken. This one came out in View attachment 3003766one piece until it was free of the hub housing.
It's a lot easier to change a hub gear vs locking hub studs. With no hub studs you can't even slide on a drive flange.

Up dates & pictures of the Con trip Please !!

The Rubicon trip went very well. Being I was there for two nights mid week I had the trail to myself. The solitude was therapeutic but put a tad bit of caution into my attitude. This was more of a “cruise” along nice and easy stopping often to take it all in type of run. No sluice boxes or fancy poser shots this time. I camped one night at spider and one night at buck. On the way to buck I turned left out there on the slabs and ventured into the Rubicon Trail Foundation property. They have two modest cabins, a shipping/storage container and a respectable firewood pile there. It took about 30 minutes to wheel into the cabins from the Rubicon trail.

Still snow in the deepest pockets and up on the peaks but none on the trail. I enjoy the seasonal creeks created by snow melt above. The only issue I had with my rig was a rock rolling up against the drivers side frame, radius arm, and tie rod. My hydro assist ram is connected to the tie rod by a tube clamp only, no welds. This is the second time that tube clamp contacted a rock rotating the tie rod loosening the jam nut. The tube clamp then flops forward as the tie rod rotates on the rod end. Then I can’t turn left due to the tube clamp and welded on tabs contacting the shock mount. This is a simple problem to remedy but I’m leaning toward putting a dab of weld on the tube clamp and jam nuts. I wanted the tie rod to remain easily adjustable but It seems I need to choose the priority, easy toe adjustments or turning left in the tough stuff.

It appears that CA is pulling out of the drought because Lake Shasta looked to be much fuller than last year. Loon Lake, Spider Lake, and Buck Island Reservoir were all full to the brim.

31DE317F-7D82-4ECE-ADE0-FFA22B2B195A.jpeg

6238ABF0-265E-452C-ACEB-A5811F65BA8A.jpeg
FDA0AF7E-C65C-40CF-9432-A0758792D1A9.jpeg
73722DA8-0ECB-4E03-84F9-D484C476A280.jpeg
22039558-1DD5-4122-BF57-F908CAC5B8F7.jpeg

Last edited:
You are a very Blessed Man my friend.
The fruits of your labors have paid off well on this built out 80 you have.
Thank you for the share.

Looks like it was a good Run Steve !!

And looking at the pictures I'm mad at myself for not making it happen :bang:

Last edited:
The rear axle I broke at KOH was just the beginning. I knew about the skid plate but just today found the broken off leading arm acme bracket. Glad I roll around under my rig regularly. This was getting on towards tragedy. The acme housing is ok, no oil leaks. The passenger side has the beginnings of a crack also. I’m going to repair it and hope for the best. Checking for cracks at key locations is important for those of us who abuse our
01DCB4F4-EC10-4E7D-8ECC-7DD6A0944CA4.jpeg
rigs.
3418782F-4C73-447C-969A-9534951A4274.jpeg
5DF118DF-78CE-4F72-A2B7-D157485F0D23.jpeg
E18409A9-6D6B-4D76-B665-760A51AEF9FC.jpeg
FCC0C5AE-B06F-4295-85E2-7A72A026EAC9.jpeg

New used housing or a set of new Brackets to weld on.
Would be how I would approach that fix 🤷‍♂️

I’m not sure that repairing this is a good idea Obviously it’s been broken a while and I’ve been driving on it. The fractures are bent and have been grinding against each other
3C08E6F4-E359-4785-95B2-F9785E95D899.jpeg
79B8869D-3D30-4ED7-A1C4-5F9C9AC50E22.jpeg

New used housing or a set of new Brackets to weld on.
Would be how I would approach that fix 🤷‍♂️
I’m leaning this direction. 3 link ?????

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom