Reconsidering my lift... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’ve had a Dobinsons lift sitting in my storage closet for months now. I’m not sure it’s right for what I need. I’m trying to avoid turning my truck into a stink bug when not towing if possible

I’ve got a front bumper and winch with the OEM spring spacer - nothing added to the rear yet. Not really sure what I’m gonna do - probably a bumper at some point and maybe a long range tank. But who knows when or if I’ll ever get around to those.

I do tow a trailer that weighs 1900lbs loaded. I also add about 100lbs of gear to the rear of the truck. I can feel the current stock setup bottom out every now and then when towing.

Here’s what I have:
SPC UCAs
Front shocks and springs - springs are rated at 2” lift (170-220lb load)
Rear shocks and springs rated at 2” lift (220-440lb load)

It’s the rear that I’m struggling with. I think these springs are going to be too stiff for my current setup and the rear will be way too tall unloaded. Most of the lifts I see seem to be rated for something like 2” up front and only .75-1” rear. I’m thinking maybe I should do a different rear spring and add air bags? I want it to sit as level as possible when not loaded.

Anyhow...I may be over thinking this and having a bit of analysis paralysis. Maybe I need to just install the airbags in the OEM springs and call it a day.

Last edited:
I’ve had a Dobinsons lift sitting in my storage closet for months now. I’m not sure it’s right for what I need. I’m trying to avoid turning my truck into a stink bug when not towing if possible

I’ve got a front bumper and winch with the OEM spring spacer - nothing added to the rear yet. Not really sure what I’m gonna do - probably a bumper at some point and maybe a long range tank. But who knows when or if I’ll ever get around to those.

I do tow a trailer that weighs 1900lbs loaded. I also add about 100lbs of gear to the rear of the truck. I can feel the current stock setup bottom out every now and then when towing.

Here’s what I have:
SPC UCAs

It’s the rear that I’m struggling with. I think these springs are going to be too stiff for my current setup and the rear will be way too tall unloaded. Most of the lifts I see seem to be rated for something like 2” up front and only .75-1” rear. I’m thinking maybe I should do a different rear spring and add air bags? I want it to sit as level as possible when not loaded.

Anyhow...I may be over thinking this and having a bit of analysis paralysis. Maybe I need to just install the airbags in the OEM springs and call it a day.

Here’s a thought that might help ease the “paralysis” as you put it..

Rear coil springs are—by far—the easiest, least labor-intensive part of suspension components to swap out later if you want to twadk the ride, or height, etc.
-No new alignment needed (unlike front suspension height change)...
-No need to remove any other major suspension stuff... (like if a shop does it for you, it should take less than an hour)

-Springs are also pretty easy to re-sell if you swap out later. I’ve passed on all coil springs except one smart to fellow mud guys.
—I’ve swapped in 5 different sets of rear coils as needed on my truck.

Try it. If you aren’t thrilled with them...let them settle a bit and if you still want a change? It’s not a big deal to swap.

Last edited:

Here’s what I have:
SPC UCAs

I’m in a similar situation (although I don’t have an extra suspension sitting in my garage!). I want to firm up the ride, primarily for towing, but I don’t really want a “lift”. I tow monthly, about 3000lbs plus 200lbs in the rear I use a weight distributing hitch.

I took my first step a month ago by changing the OEM tires to LT rated Falken Wildpeak in 285/65. This made a big difference in firmness when not towing (also dropped gas mileage by 2-3mpg). Haven’t had the opportunity to tow with the new tires installed due to scheduling conflicts.

If I feel additional “adjustment” is needed, I’ll probably look at rear springs. I was thinking of airbags until I saw this video:

Good video. All air bags do is level your rig. Air bags are essentially the same as lifting your back end with a jack. It changes the height but the weight is basically the same.

I’m in a similar situation (although I don’t have an extra suspension sitting in my garage!). I want to firm up the ride, primarily for towing, but I don’t really want a “lift”. I tow monthly, about 3000lbs plus 200lbs in the rear I use a weight distributing hitch.

I took my first step a month ago by changing the OEM tires to LT rated Falken Wildpeak in 285/65. This made a big difference in firmness when not towing (also dropped gas mileage by 2-3mpg). Haven’t had the opportunity to tow with the new tires installed due to scheduling conflicts.

If I feel additional “adjustment” is needed, I’ll probably look at rear springs. I was thinking of airbags until I saw this video:

Give Jason @ TRAIL TALOR a call. He can help you with a solution.

Not sure this video is applicable to towing lighter 1900lb and 3000lb trailers as weight distribution hitches don't really apply at those loads.

Air bags are very suitable to these situations. It offers additional support for loads, to correct for sag, but it also increases spring rate which is great for added stability.

While rarely done, airbags can also be very useful for AHC vehicles too when towing especially heavy.

Give Jason @ TRAIL TALOR a call. He can help you with a solution.
Thanks. I contacted Jason a couple of months ago for a Tough Dog solution (shocks and springs)...he was very helpful. I didn’t pull the trigger as I realized I don’t want a full-blown lift. Will probably do something spring related 1st or 2nd quarter next year.

....as I realized I don’t want a full-blown lift.

See, this is also my situation. I’m not even the slightest bit excited about the prospect of lifting my truck by 2”. It just seems necessary after installing 275/75/18 tires and because of the weight i carry.

See, this is also my situation. I’m not even the slightest bit excited about the prospect of lifting my truck by 2”. It just seems necessary after installing 275/75/18 tires and because of the weight i carry.

Why not do a stock height replacement with heavier springs and shocks?

Because I’ve got some rubbing in the front with the larger tires and I can see that they need a little more room. The wheel wells are pretty full.
I think that if you're set on sticking with 275/75/18 tires, you're also stuck with lifting if you don't want to rub.

Because I’ve got some rubbing in the front with the larger tires and I can see that they need a little more room. The wheel wells are pretty full.

Careful re trying to avoid contact with a lift.
Lifts don’t solve contact issues.
-All it does is postpone the contact until you’re suspension compresses—and then when you compress, its more likely to do damage since it’s usually at speed.

Careful re trying to avoid contact with a lift.
Lifts don’t solve contact issues.
-All it does is postpone the contact until you’re suspension compresses—and then when you compress, its more likely to do damage since it’s usually at speed.

I searched around before installing the tires and the consensus was that bump stop extensions aren’t needed with a 275/75/18 tire. I’ve bottomed out while towing at speed and everything is okay.

I’d love to find a 1” lift spring for a medium load, that would probably be perfect. But all I’m finding are either stock height no load, stock height with load or 2”+

Again - i think this is just analysis paralysis. I need to just install the damn lift, lift my trailer and move on.

I searched around before installing the tires and the consensus was that bump stop extensions aren’t needed with a 275/75/18 tire. I’ve bottomed out while towing at speed and everything is okay.

I’d love to find a 1” lift spring for a medium load, that would probably be perfect. But all I’m finding are either stock height no load, stock height with load or 2”+

Ah. If you are only talking about bottoming out contact, then OK. A lift + bump-stops will help. Available down-travel (from neutral drivin if height) does suffer in front though because your lower control arms can only reach so far down if already pushed down by the lift...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom