Reconnecting speedometer cable issue - FJ62 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all - I am the proud new owner of a '89 FJ62, and new to participating here, beyond being a reader.

The radio in the truck I just acquired has been working intermittently. I figured there must be a loose wire or something simple, so decided to take the task of investigating on myself. I am not very mechanically inclined, but I do know a thing or two about wiring. Ran into two problems.. one more significant than the other. 1) Less (not really at all) significant - I don't have a screwdriver long enough to get the radio out, so that was a fail.. 2) More significant - when I removed the dash panel, the speedometer cable detached and there isn't enough slack for me to reconnect it before putting the panel back on. I would need a two dimensional hand..

Am I missing something obvious? I tugged on it a bit, but hesitated to pull too hard on the cable for fear of making the matter worse.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Hi all - I am the proud new owner of a '89 FJ62, and new to participating here, beyond being a reader.

The radio in the truck I just acquired has been working intermittently. I figured there must be a loose wire or something simple, so decided to take the task of investigating on myself. I am not very mechanically inclined, but I do know a thing or two about wiring. Ran into two problems.. one more significant than the other. 1) Less (not really at all) significant - I don't have a screwdriver long enough to get the radio out, so that was a fail.. 2) More significant - when I removed the dash panel, the speedometer cable detached and there isn't enough slack for me to reconnect it before putting the panel back on. I would need a two dimensional hand..

Am I missing something obvious? I tugged on it a bit, but hesitated to pull too hard on the cable for fear of making the matter worse.

You didn’t bleed yet. Seriously. It requires jamming your arm in there further than possible and using two fingers with a backwards grip and guide with thumb probably.

I did it with my popeye forearms. Bleed some. But don’t break that fragile plastic. Conundrum. Yes.

You didn’t bleed yet. Seriously. It requires jamming your arm in there further than possible and using two fingers with a backwards grip and guide with thumb probably.

I did it with my popeye forearms. Bleed some. But don’t break that fragile plastic. Conundrum. Yes.
I think I accidentally posted a response with nothing in it.. please disregard..

Are you recommending using my right arm and coming in from the side, or going in over the top? I have not bled yet, no. Not afraid to, but wasn't sure if I needed to try that hard, or if I was missing something

Can you disconnect the speedo cable at the trans/transfer to provide some slack at the gauges?
Is this done from underneath the truck, or in the engine compartment? Honestly, I am not sure if I have the know-how to answer this question.

I had the same problem when I replaced the dash bulbs with LED bulbs. Not much space to reach in with full hand. It needs some finesse. So, I took a piece of string, looped it around the connector and held the other end of the string with my teeth, and pulled/held. This allows for the connector to hold in place as you start to insert into the speedo. Using both hands over the dash panel; with gloves for better grip, apply pressure with your fingers. Worked for me.

I don't use led again as it does not heat up the cluster to remove moisture.

2_34c900e13e6b9527631ec8cc8290ab26.jpg

2_3a7c606587850d2ca26cdb0dd9f362be.jpg

2_0a0581678a1222a7dae1710617122e05.png

I had the same problem when I replaced the dash bulbs with LED bulbs. Not much space to reach in with full hand. It needs some finesse. So, I took a piece of string, looped it around the connector and held the other end of the string with my teeth, and pulled/held. This allows for the connector to hold in place as you start to insert into the speedo. Using both hands over the dash panel; with gloves for better grip, apply pressure with your fingers. Worked for me.
Interesting. I have some butchers' twine handy.. I may give that a shot before I break skin..

I think I accidentally posted a response with nothing in it.. please disregard..

Are you recommending using my right arm and coming in from the side, or going in over the top? I have not bled yet, no. Not afraid to, but wasn't sure if I needed to try that hard, or if I was missing something
Tbh, whichever way works for your dexterity. Try different angles. It’s just the mother of PITAs. Good luck my commiserating compatriot!

One thing I did to help was to give the cable a bit of slack by pulling it up from where the cable exits the transmission tunnel and starts heading up to the dash.
It comes in up and to the right of your gas pedal.
That gives you a little more to work with behind the instrument cluster.

I screw the dash in and reach up from underneath you can't see but you can feel when it goes on.
Not the best design. Really annoying when you get it all together and realise you forgot one of the other plugs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom