Reconditioned 1hd-t hard to start (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everyone,

I just had my 1hd-t reconditioned and finally installed back in the car. But the mechanic's having trouble starting it. It starts ok if he is pumping the fuel primer as you crank it or it will start eventually if you just have the accelerator wide open (foot to the floor). Nothing like this issue before the engine was pulled. He thought air in the system somewhere but has been unable to find anything after 2 days of searching. He's talked to an injection pump place and they think it might be the diaphragm in the pump which needs replacing. The pump was apparently rebuilt by the previous owner just before I bought it though.

Before I get it sent off to an expensive diesel pump place I thought I'd ask and see if any one else has had a similar problem? I haven't been able to find anything similar from searching.

If it was starting ok before, the mechanic has knocked something. I didnt know they had a diapragm on the 1HD T pump ,but it wouldn't just fail sitting there while the pump was removed and replaced.
What kind of things has he checked? He needs to rule out air by fitting a piece of clear tube from filter to pump.They often get leaks around the fuel filter.

Does it run normally once it starts, like on the road under normal conditions?

I certainly wouldn't be giving anyone any money until they can prove your pump is faulty.
I would also ask a few other diesel injection shops and see what they say.
If the pump has to be removed, I would ask for a bench test before anyone starts dismantling it.
Stand your ground.

Are you in Australia?

Yep, I'm in Wollongong. My mechanic was talking to Cooma Diesel who apparently know their s***. I might give Berrima Diesel a call tomorrow as well, see what they say.

As far as I know it runs fine once started, just trouble getting going.

Cooma do have a good reputation. I was reading about the problems you had with the engine since I posted that. In regards to the previous owner's assertion that the pump was rebuilt, I hope it wasnt done by the same mob that did the engine the 1st time.

He apparently sent it away. I'm trying to talk to the mechanic to get some details, he says he'll call me back tomorrow. But yeah, trust is very thin with those idiots.

"As far as I know it runs fine once started, just trouble getting going"

Follow the old man's advice regarding the clear hose to the IP. Air bubbles indicate a leak.
If she starts and runs fine then work backwards towards the tank, most often your air leak is at the primer.

Or connect a gerry can to your IP, have the gerry can above the IP and allow gravity to do the work. Continue the proccess of elimination. You can bypass the primer/filter to eliminate this problem, but only to test.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom