1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recommended Diff Oils - 100 Series

Discussion in '100-Series Cruisers' started by uzj100, Oct 15, 2003.

1. uzj100

uzj100

Hey guys,

All this talk of better gas mileage has me thinking, I need to switch all my diff oils to synthetic. What is the groups recommendation on diff oil for the 100 series? I used mobil 1 in the 80 series some years ago. Is that still the way to go and what are the oil weights and amounts for each diff?

Thank you in advance,

uzj100

2. IdahoDoug

IdahoDoug

The weights should be in your owner's manual, and I'd bet it's still 80w90 as one of the choices. I use M1 75w-90 which simply means when the oil is cold it's slightly thinner than spec'd, but at operating temp it is dead on. IMHO, this is a good choice and I've used it since new. As a data point, my axles/TC are notably quieter than other 80s I've been in with fewer miles than mine.

IdahoDoug

3. Scamper

Scamper

Mine's an 80, but I'm using M1 75W90 or Valvoline 75W90 full synthetic (have used both). I suspect the 100 is the same.

Tom

4. cary

cary

I personally like Redline Gear oils the best (their gear oils are what built there reputation) and then Mobil 1. That said, any of the synthetic gear oils should be good.

Cary