Recommended Bumpers, Winch, Lift and Tires (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a stock 2007 LC with 208,000 miles in beautiful cosmetic condition with consistently excellent oil analysis results from Blackstone labs.

I am planning on doing the following upgrades in the next 1-2 months and I would like some feedback/confirmation that I am making the right choices for the components.

1-OME medium, 2", lift (torsion bars, rear Springs, four shocks) $859 shipped from Rocky road outfitters
2-ARB combination bull bar 3413190, $1235 shipped
3-some type of rear bumper with integrated hitch receiver, tire carrier, hi lift Jack, license plate holder, antenna mount, ladder and fuel can carrier. ~ $3000 ???source yet unknown
4-2007 tundra trd wheels, powder coated matte black. Already have.
5-33" tires.

It's my daily driver with just me most of the time. My family with wife and four kids will take it on long road trips towing an expedition trailer.

I have several questions:
LIFT
How many shop hours should I expect to pay for the OME lift?
How long would it take a relatively competent "me" to install the lift myself(or with help)?
Do I need the steering bracket option with the medium lift kit?
I don't want to be forced to buy adjustable UCA, the differential drop kit or anything else that complex, have I chosen the correct kit?
Should I consider the heavy lift kit?

FRONT BUMPER
I've been quoted ~$250 for labor to install the bumper and fog lights, is this reasonable?
Will a harbor freight badlands 9000# winch fit behind this bumper?
Why doesn't the ARB bumper include recovery points on the front like other front bumpers?
I would entertain another brand bumper, but based on reviews and the "How an ARB bumper is born" video, I have a hard time believing any other welding outfit can achieve that level of construction, robustness and quality control. Most other bumpers I've seen aren't fully welded, For example the Dissent off-road bumper top bar looks to be bolted on. Feel free to sway my option.

REAR BUMPER
Who is the current crowd favorite for aftermarket rear bumper upgrades?

TIRES
I've got a set of 275/65r18 that I'm going to finish driving the tread off then plan to get a slightly bigger tire. I've searched and it appears that 275/70r18 is the popular optimal tire size to "fill the wheel well nicely" without any trimming or modification. Are there any dissenting opinions on this?

What can be done about moving the backup camera to a higher location once the rear tire carrier is installed and blocking the license plate camera?

Thank you all for your contributions and help. I's much appreciated.
Chris.

Last edited:
Hey TurbineTester... There is a TON of good info here on all the topics you've mentioned. Since you're in Georgia (I am too), I'll make two suggestions...
1. Do a whole lotta searching here on the broad topics, e.g. "winch bumper" "tires" "rear bumper" "suspension"... there are several companies who are making bumpers designed specifically for our 100s - we now have options beyond the Land Rover hand-me-downs.
2. Go see the guys at ACC Garage. Talk to them about the mods before making any decisions. They've installed every type of lift on every series of Land Cruiser. There's no "one brand fits all". For example, the love OME for 60s and 80s but hate their shocks for 100s. At their recommendation, I have an IronMan system and love it. Plus, they're awesome guys.

EDIT: Does your '07 have AHC? Does it work well?

If you are spending the money for an ARB bumper, lift, etc I wouldn't use a Harbor Freight winch. Slee makes very high quality armor and I can confirm this as I have the blueberry front bumper (has front recovery points) and step sliders and many others are happy with the Slee rear. Other rear bumper options are 4x4 Labs (can be bought as a kit to save $), BIOR, ARB, Dissent, Kaymar, probably forgetting some others.

Not sure what you mean by the steering bracket option, but there is a debate on whether you need the diff drop or not. To me it seems like many have gone without it and not had problems with their CVs leaking. I personally went ahead and put one in for peace of mind since I was already doing a full lift. I am not sure the exact number, but with a 2'' (2.5'' for OME kit you're talking about) I believe that you will need the aftermarket UCAs to get your alignment into factory spec. Others can confirm, but the 1.5'' kit may allow for factory alignment specs without the need for aftermarket UCAs.

With a lift and a shop full of tools at my disposal it took me the majority of two days to install the 2'' Ironman lift with a diff drop, SPC UCAs and get the truck sitting how it should (1'' rake). Also extended the sway bar end links in the rear and reinstall them so that added some time. I am not experienced with wrenching so it probably could have gone faster, but it seems like something always goes wrong or not according to plan even if you are experienced, especially if you're working on a rusty truck.

Yes definitely give ACC a call because they do spectacular work and are very knowledgable. I am also in GA. Although it does not ride as nice as stock I am happy with my Ironman lift with the Foam Cell Pro Shocks, but from my understanding I don't think any of the kits allow for a ride as plush as stock.

I have always done the diff drop for piece of mind.

It seems like a hit and miss scenario regarding control arms. I did not replace them on either 100 series that I built and both aligned with no problems

I’m in Ga too and am planning on doing a front and rear bumper on my LX before Hundreds in the Hills. Looking to place my orders around May 1 so I can get them on sometime in June.
I can’t decide between a Slee Blueberry or Arb Sahara. I feel like both have there pros and cons, but I’m currently leaning Slee. I’ve made up my mind on the Slee for the rear.

As long as you don’t have AHC to remove it shouldn’t take long to do the lift. I’d say it’s pretty easy in a day, and that’s taking it slow. I did mine in my driveway and it took a good 2 days but that was with me removing all of my AHC components and having to cut out one torsion bar anchor with a sawzall (that was my fault, I think I screwed up the threads using a impact gun. I now recommend plenty of anti seize and no impact gun)

I run SPC UCAs on my LX and factory UCAs on my 06 LC that has a AHC sensor lift. They both have about the same amount of lift and I can’t tell much difference in the steering, although I run a ton more caster in the LX. I’m not sure it’s worth it unless all of your factory UCA bushings and ball joints are toast. If that’s the case it’s a no-brainer.

Tire wise I run 285/75/17s and 1.25” Slee spacer on my LX and 305/65/18s with no spacers on my 06. I much prefer the 305s without spacers over the 285 with spacer setup. The 305 really fills out the well and gives a good stance with no rubbing. I’m not sure why they are so overlooked on this board. I think they are perfect.

Where are you in Ga? I’d be happy to lend a hand on your install and talk bumpers.

Last edited:
C83F8156-3DC0-46FC-88FB-1F132A5146F0.jpeg
I am in Marietta and would love to get a 100 group to feather for a Saturday lunch.

My brother and dad also drive 100’s, great trucks!

I wish a 100 series meet up could be organized. That would be awesome. It seems like there are a ton of guys from Ga on the board. I would be down.

I have a stock 2007 LC with 208,000 miles in beautiful cosmetic condition with consistently excellent oil analysis results from Blackstone labs.

I am planning on doing the following upgrades in the next 1-2 months and I would like some feedback/confirmation that I am making the right choices for the components.

1-OME medium, 2", lift (torsion bars, rear Springs, four shocks) $859 shipped from Rocky road outfitters
3-some type of rear bumper with integrated hitch receiver, tire carrier, hi lift Jack, license plate holder, antenna mount, ladder and fuel can carrier. ~ $3000 ???source yet unknown
5-33" tires.

It's my daily driver with just me most of the time. My family with wife and four kids will take it on long road trips towing an expedition trailer.

LIFT
How long would it take a relatively competent "me" to install the lift myself(or with help)?
I don't want to be forced to buy adjustable UCA, the differential drop kit or anything else that complex, have I chosen the correct kit?

FRONT BUMPER
I've been quoted ~$250 for labor to install the bumper and fog lights, is this reasonable?
Why doesn't the ARB bumper include recovery points on the front like other front bumpers?
I would entertain another brand bumper, but based on reviews and the "How an ARB bumper is born" video, I have a hard time believing any other welding outfit can achieve that level of construction, robustness and quality control. Most other bumpers I've seen aren't fully welded, For example the Dissent off-road bumper top bar looks to be bolted on. Feel free to sway my option.

REAR BUMPER

TIRES
I've got a set of 275/65r18 that I'm going to finish driving the tread off then plan to get a slightly bigger tire. I've searched and it appears that 275/70r18 is the popular optimal tire size to "fill the wheel well nicely" without any trimming or modification. Are there any dissenting opinions on this?

What can be done about moving the backup camera to a higher location once the rear tire carrier is installed and blocking the license plate camera?

Chris.
Hey Chris,
Feel free to give us a call sometime, I can go over some options with you on the entire build. I have a fair bit of experience with different suspensions and can go over some pros and cons of different kits. As for the bumpers, I am a little bias but really you can't go wrong with any of the current options, it all depends on what fits your tast and your needs the best. I would also love the chance to go over the pros of a modular bumper, the way the my bumpers tie together is extremely strong! In the load tests that I did when designing the bumper the design of the bolt points is actually stronger than if it were welded. It also allows for many different options to be added or removed at anytime.
For the rear the biggest selling point is the swing outs, for a daily driver the traditional swing outs can be quite cumbersome to say the least.
The dissent bumper uses a built in slam style latch so you open and close it just like you would a car door. I also tow a trailer on all of my trips so towing had a big part in the rear bumper design!
It has recessed receiver with all towing accommodations easily accessible while not sacrificing ground clearance, the swing arms are shorter than most allowing full use of the swing outs with any type of trailer.
Thanks!
Ben (dissent offroad)
530-588-2494

Hey TurbineTester... There is a TON of good info here on all the topics you've mentioned. Since you're in Georgia (I am too), I'll make two suggestions...
1. Do a whole lotta searching here on the broad topics, e.g. "winch bumper" "tires" "rear bumper" "suspension"... there are several companies who are making bumpers designed specifically for our 100s - we now have options beyond the Land Rover hand-me-downs.
2. Go see the guys at ACC Garage. Talk to them about the mods before making any decisions. They've installed every type of lift on every series of Land Cruiser. There's no "one brand fits all". For example, the love OME for 60s and 80s but hate their shocks for 100s. At their recommendation, I have an IronMan system and love it. Plus, they're awesome guys.

EDIT: Does your '07 have AHC? Does it work well?

I don't have AHC. I feel bad reaching out to ACC garage for advice because I know they are so busy. It would be difficult for me to have them do the work as they are 2 hours and this is my daily driver.

I feel bad reaching out to ACC garage for advice because I know they are so busy. It would be difficult for me to have them do the work as they are 2 hours and this is my daily driver.

That's fair - and mighty cool of you too. That puts more weight on #1 - doing a lotta research on the site. There really is no question you can think of that hasn't been asked and answered here. And definitely give Ben at Dissent a call/email. He's as good of a guy as he is a designer/fabricator - and he does know a ton (!) about these trucks.

I'd be happy to chat with you as well - I'm not remotely as skilled/knowledgeable as ACC and Ben, but I started right where you are (low-mile '06, non-AHC, daily driver) a few years ago. Shoot me a PM.

If you are spending the money for an ARB bumper, lift, etc I wouldn't use a Harbor Freight winch. Slee makes very high quality armor and I can confirm this as I have the blueberry front bumper (has front recovery points) and step sliders and many others are happy with the Slee rear. Other rear bumper options are 4x4 Labs (can be bought as a kit to save $), BIOR, ARB, Dissent, Kaymar, probably forgetting some others.

Not sure what you mean by the steering bracket option, but there is a debate on whether you need the diff drop or not. To me it seems like many have gone without it and not had problems with their CVs leaking. I personally went ahead and put one in for peace of mind since I was already doing a full lift. I am not sure the exact number, but with a 2'' (2.5'' for OME kit you're talking about) I believe that you will need the aftermarket UCAs to get your alignment into factory spec. Others can confirm, but the 1.5'' kit may allow for factory alignment specs without the need for aftermarket UCAs.

With a lift and a shop full of tools at my disposal it took me the majority of two days to install the 2'' Ironman lift with a diff drop, SPC UCAs and get the truck sitting how it should (1'' rake). Also extended the sway bar end links in the rear and reinstall them so that added some time. I am not experienced with wrenching so it probably could have gone faster, but it seems like something always goes wrong or not according to plan even if you are experienced, especially if you're working on a rusty truck.

I like the look of SLEE blueberry bumper but in South Georgia deer are a real problem and For me, the bull bar protection for my grill and headlights is a requirement. I totaled a van after hitting a deer 2 years ago. And I've hit deer in almost every vehicle I've owned. They are stupid creatures when it comes to avoiding traffic. I do not want my cruiser to suffer the same demise.

I don't plan on doing any real "wheeling" in the vehicle for quite some time,so sliders haven't really entered the for me.

I don't have time to install the lift myself of its going to take 2 days. I'd be happy to pay a shop to do it faster and better quality than me.

For the rear bumper I would really prefer a single full width swing out as I frequently access the rear gate of the truck and don't want I deal with two swing arms. I'd also prefer the arm to swing to the right, so if I'm stopped on the side of the road it doesn't swing into traffic. There may be a good reason that some like it too swing to the left.

My CV'S are already slinging grease so I may have to deal with the diff drop anyway.

Last edited:
Hey Chris,
Feel free to give us a call sometime, I can go over some options with you on the entire build. I have a fair bit of experience with different suspensions and can go over some pros and cons of different kits. As for the bumpers, I am a little bias but really you can't go wrong with any of the current options, it all depends on what fits your tast and your needs the best. I would also love the chance to go over the pros of a modular bumper, the way the my bumpers tie together is extremely strong! In the load tests that I did when designing the bumper the design of the bolt points is actually stronger than if it were welded. It also allows for many different options to be added or removed at anytime.
For the rear the biggest selling point is the swing outs, for a daily driver the traditional swing outs can be quite cumbersome to say the least.
The dissent bumper uses a built in slam style latch so you open and close it just like you would a car door. I also tow a trailer on all of my trips so towing had a big part in the rear bumper design!
It has recessed receiver with all towing accommodations easily accessible while not sacrificing ground clearance, the swing arms are shorter than most allowing full use of the swing outs with any type of trailer.
Thanks!
Ben (dissent offroad)
530-588-2494
I'd love to give you a call today, I'm obviously EST, what time should I try to call you?

I like the look of SLEE blueberry bumper but in South Georgia deer are a real problem and For me, the bull bar protection for my grill and headlights is a requirement. I totaled a van after hitting a deer 2 years ago. And I've hit deer in almost every vehicle I've owned. They are stupid creatures when it comes to avoiding traffic. I do not want my cruiser to suffer the same demise.

I don't plan on doing any real "wheeling" in the vehicle for quite some time,so sliders haven't really entered the for me.

I don't have time to install the lift myself of its going to take 2 days. I'd be happy to pay a shop to do it faster and better quality than me.

For the rear bumper I would really prefer a single full width swing out as I frequently access the rear gate of the truck and don't want I deal with two swing arms. Is also prefer the arm to seeing to the right, so if I'm stopped on the side of the road it doesn't swing into traffic. There may be a good reason that some like it too swing to the left.

My CV'S are already slinging grease so I may have to deal with the diff drop anyway.
The lift really isn’t that bad. Unless you are just all eat up with rust it shouldn’t take but a day.

I don’t really have a local shop that I would trust to work on my cruiser. I do everything myself because I know it will be done right plus I get to learn and know my truck better. I’ve seen too many shops mess things up and cut corners. ACC is the only shop I trust but they are a few hours away from me too.

I’ve got diff drops on both my 100s and that’s super easy too. Takes about an hour and you don’t even have to jack the truck up.

If you decide to reboot your CVs I’d be happy to help. I just did mine a few weeks ago and have the crimping tool to use on the factory clamps that come with the kit. It’s an easy job too.

Working on these trucks really gives me a sense of accomplishment and I know it’s right when I’m done. Let me know if you decide to do it yourself. I’d be happy to lend a hand and any tools you might need.

Last edited:
Double post

5-33" tires.

LIFT

FRONT BUMPER

REAR BUMPER

TIRES

Chris.

Chris, you are gonna have fun. I see two good options:

1. Buy the stuff you want, get a set of tools, learn how to wrench on your rig. You are listing easy bolt on accessories that would be great to get your hands dirty on. I have installed everything you listed myself (except tires and stuff). There's nothing too hard about any of what you have listed, in fact, you'd save an easy $1k in installation labor. Any shop worth their salt is going to be $80/hr. MINIMUM.

2. If I were you and I am not. I'd go make friends with the crew at ACC or another local cruiser shop, they can likely order stuff for your, get you set up once and correctly, and maybe give you a break on the overall package but I am just guessing.

Note: In your plan I would add a Slee or Dissent rear bumper as they are the front running builders in my humble opinion... not knocking the other fab shops but from what I have seen these two are top shelf items. ARB makes a nice rear bumper too. On tires, I would suggest 305-65 R18's they are the perfect size for the 100. I just stepped up to 35x12.50-18 BFG KO2's and I will either install a body lift (which I would prefer not to do) or go back down to the 305s (like a 34") They are the biggest tire that stuffed fully without a body lift that I have tried.

Have a blast, if you do it yourself we can help you along. If you hire it out, I do suggest paying a bit more for a good shop that knows Cruisers or at least a shop that you have a friendship with the owner.

I decided to go ahead and order a front and rear bumper set from Dissent, because ...WOW...Ben is a great guy. He spent a ton of time on the phone with me explaining the features of his bumper and how attention to detail and addressing the issues of other bumpers was a priority in the design of the Dissent offerings. I would love to get a caravan to HIH8, but I'm currently on the wait list. I had no idea it would sell out in less than 2 days.

On another note, a local custom shop and I had a misunderstanding and they have actually ordered and received an ARB bumper. Problem was that I didn't order it. He told me it was back ordered and I told him to hold off until I got some more opinions and that's when I made the post above. Regardless, they are out a good bit of money unless someone wants to come down to Warner Robins, GA and get an ARB combo bumper. Any takers?

I decided to go ahead and order a front and rear bumper set from Dissent, because ...WOW...Ben is a great guy. He spent a ton of time on the phone with me explaining the features of his bumper and how attention to detail and addressing the issues of other bumpers was a priority in the design of the Dissent offerings. I would love to get a caravan to HIH8, but I'm currently on the wait list. I had no idea it would sell out in less than 2 days.

On another note, a local custom shop and I had a misunderstanding and they have actually ordered and received an ARB bumper. Problem was that I didn't order it. He told me it was back ordered and I told him to hold off until I got some more opinions and that's when I made the post above. Regardless, they are out a good bit of money unless someone wants to come down to Warner Robins, GA and get an ARB combo bumper. Any takers?
Is it the 03 and up combo? I might be interested.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom