recommended Batteries for BJ74 13BT 24v (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all. i need batteries for 1989 BJ74 13BT 24v
what ones to get?
CCA 800?
CCA 850?
or?

Thanks a lot

Last edited:
What size fits in the mount?

BCI group 27 battery X2

Mine uses 27s.

Those would work. I prefer "starting" batteries however. Marine batteries are generally used in warm weather which does not impact cold starting like the automotive world. If you live where freezing temperatures are not encountered you should be fine.

From the net, taken with a grain of salt:

A deep-cycle battery is a lead-acid battery designed to be regularly deeply discharged using most of its capacity. In contrast, starter batteries (e.g. most automotive batteries) are designed to deliver short, high-current bursts for cranking the engine, thus frequently discharging only a small part of their capacity. While a deep-cycle battery can be used as a starting battery, the lower "cranking current" implies that an oversized battery may be required.

I've had an issue with my batteries where they started to weep fluid out very soon after purchase and continued to get worse. I've religiously monitored them for over charging and un-even discharge and they have always been within .2 volts of each other, so I don't think that is a problem. Both batteries work fine, hold a charge like new and do not show any signs of harm besides the constant leaking out of the caps. Was thinking that engine bay temps may be the issue? So not sure if it is a problem with the batteries, are there some that are specifically not good for 24v systems?

I just bought two of these and will install them in my BJ75. Will report with fitment and performance. I am sure they'll be great.

Update: I actually cancelled the order on the Duracell because they were back ordered and instead went with an INTERSTATE variant with slightly better specs and better warranty: Interstate Batteries | MTP-27F

27F batteries will have the posts reversed, incorrect for a BJ74. You need group 27. That is unlees you have a different vehicle.

Battery posts are off-set to one side. If the post polarity is reversed the cables will not fit and route properly. Also in some cases the posts could contact the underside of the hood and short the battery.

I have a BJ75. Can’t one just flip the battery around? I’m not sure if I understand exactly what you mean. Educate me

Hello,

From experience, mostly with 12 V Cruisers, it is important to have the negative terminal facing forward.

70 Series battery trays are wide enough to accommodate batteries with off-set posts without having to flip them around. You can move your battery until it is possible to attach the cables without forcing them.

Otherwise, aside from shorts, the cables will be stretched, and will possibly break from repetitive stress.

Juan

Here is a photo of my engine bay. Negative terminal faces forward per @Juan’s recommendation. The interstate battery above (27F) looks to replicate the Exide batteries I am replacing.

Did my truck have the wrong batteries in? From what I see here, the Interatate batteries down at the parts store are going to work just fine.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

A304F916-C65D-41BC-ABAB-3507E62C5B7B.jpeg

Update: I looked around online at photos of BJ75 engine bays and saw that most of them had batteries laid out similarly to mine (above), with positive terminals back and negative terminals forward. So, I went down and picked up the 27F batteries that I ordered, installed them, and they fit great. The truck turns over startlingly quickly.

Technically your application should use a 27F on the right side and a 27 on the left side. The posts on both batteries shoud be on the side of the battery closest to the engine. So, you are batting .500.

This is the correct orientation for a RHD truck, 2 group 27s. Don't let the two red covers on the bridging cable fool you. If you short either of those posts it will arc.
20180820_181352.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom