Recommendations on rear wheel bearing grease (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Guys - After stalling for 2 years, I'm finally getting around to doing my rear wheel bearings today. Everything is going peachy keen except I'm wondering if I should use the my Moly based Redline synth grease (same as I used on birfs and front wheel bearings).

Any thoughts from the OCD crowd?

The FSM calls for plain Jane MP grease... Beno used M1 synth grease... I'm wondering since I used Redline up front, if I should standardize on that... only thing is, it's got moly in it...

Thanks in advance.

Riley

Riley, I have used moly based grease in my rear hub and bearings the both times I have cleaned and repacked my rear hubs/bearings..I have never had any issuses, from what I have read on here is that moly based grease is not bad for bearings, but people just use the thicker less tacky/sticky MP grease....

Moly can cause bearings not specd for it to slide instead of roll. I personally would not use it for that reason alone. I think if you're going in there to do the work, I'd use what Toyota specd - after all, moly existed when they chose the non moly. I have used M1 synthetic on mine since new and I'm still on the original bearings at 170,000 miles including some heavy towing.

DougM

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom