Recommendations on Radiators (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Now that summer is here, and the 1972 FJ40 is FINALLY "off road", the 403 CUIN V8 needs more cooling.

I want to purchase a new radiator (highest possible effeciency). Size is the concern. I have a Power Steering Gear Box mounted just to left (drivers side) of the stock radiator mount! Installing a wider radiator is tough!

What is the BEST radiator that will fit in the existing "hole"?

Is Aluminun the best?

How many rows of tubes?

I'm all ears...

Cliff

Be Cool makes a Landcruiser replacement that bolts right in.
Griffin makes a couple of generic ones that would require some mounting fab work.
Aluminum requires more careful maintainence then stock copper or they will disolve.
They are also harder to repair if you can repair them at all.
All that said I am going to get mine re-cored with a high efficiency 3-core with bigger tubes that is supposed to cool better then an aluminium.
I would hate to poke a hole in an expensive new aluminum rad and not be able to fix it.

i've seen a copper rad get a hole bitten into it, and all that was needed to repair was a pliers and some elbow grease. cant do that with aluminum.....

that being said, woody runs a stock re-cored radiator (5 row) and i have seen first hand the ease with which it cools. i am going to do the EXACT same thing with my 350...

My o2,

Have griffin make you a 4 core, aluminum cross flow to fit in the stock space (probably stock it) and run electric cooling fans....should be more the ample cooling. If you motor is really stressed look into a baffled cross flow. And aluminum is infinitely and easily repairable.

Almost forgot...when running alumnum rad....or heads or intake or water pump it is a very very good idea to switch to the OATS anti freeze.

I have read somewhere that an outfit in Salt Lake City, UT sells an radiator called the African Saffarii that is suppose to cool the best. The place is called #1 Performance (I think). Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom