Recommendations for upgrading/repair BJ 40 in Vosta Rica (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Having driven my newly acquired ‘77 BJ40 for a week now in Costa Rica, I am looking for recommendations and opinion on steps to repairs/upgrades. The car is a solid daily-driver. I do not have the money or time (for it to be down for a significant amount of time) for a full restoration, but to the extent that I can, I would like to make upgrades that should I be in a position for a more thorough restoration in a year or two, those upgrades could be repurposed. So how realistic is this approach? And what about prioritizing these upgrades:

Suspension
Disc Brakes
Power Steering
Wiring harness
Window/Door/Roof rubber
A/C
Front Seats
Interior light

Only existing issue I have that needs immediate attention is a water leak in the top edge of the roof...small rust spot.

Having driven my newly acquired ‘77 BJ40 for a week now in Costa Rica, I am looking for recommendations and opinion on steps to repairs/upgrades. The car is a solid daily-driver. I do not have the money or time (for it to be down for a significant amount of time) for a full restoration, but to the extent that I can, I would like to make upgrades that should I be in a position for a more thorough restoration in a year or two, those upgrades could be repurposed. So how realistic is this approach? And what about prioritizing these upgrades:

Suspension
Disc Brakes
Power Steering
Wiring harness
Window/Door/Roof rubber
A/C
Front Seats
Interior light

Only existing issue I have that needs immediate attention is a water leak in the top edge of the roof...small rust spot.
Rubber (to seal it from all the rain)
Power steering (its 100% worth it trust me)
Disc brakes
Front seats
Suspension
AC
Light

depending on if the wiring is good or not, it would move up or down on the list. If the wiring is bad, prioritize that higher

Rubber (to seal it from all the rain)
Power steering (its 100% worth it trust me)
Disc brakes
Front seats
Suspension
AC
Light

depending on if the wiring is good or not, it would move up or down on the list. If the wiring is bad, prioritize that higher
just my .02. There is a reason they didn’t come with AC most of the time. You don’t really need it. A lot of houses keep their doors open anyways, and it doesn’t really get super hot there. Just a little hot and a little humid. Not needed but maybe something for later

just my .02. There is a reason they didn’t come with AC most of the time. You don’t really need it. A lot of houses keep their doors open anyways, and it doesn’t really get super hot there. Just a little hot and a little humid. Not needed but maybe something for later
Thanks. I could forego the AC but not having any air circulation when the windows are up and its raining and windows are fogging up is a downer. Regarding the actual repairs, any insight into mechanics here that know Cruisers? Is it worth the effort to import stuff like Old Emu suspension packages and OEM discs?

Thanks. I could forego the AC but not having any air circulation when the windows are up and its raining and windows are fogging up is a downer. Regarding the actual repairs, any insight into mechanics here that know Cruisers? Is it worth the effort to import stuff like Old Emu suspension packages and OEM discs?
Depends the lift you want. OME only carries 2.5 inch. It’s good, but if you want 4 inch, you will have to go with Skyjacker. Skyjacker carries a good kit too. Focus on repairs first though. Rust, discs etc. OEM discs are good I think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom