Recommendations for overwintering your rig (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This will be my first winter with the 40. I have it in the garage and up until now I’ve been able to get it out for at least one drive per week in relatively dry conditions this winter. However, winter is finally settling in here in the northern Rockies. Rather than taking her for a spin on crap road conditions today, I just opened the garage and fired her up and let her run for seven minutes. For those of you trying to keep your rigs out of winter road conditions, what’s your advice? Yes, I know I’m babying this thing, but it’s still new for me, was a significant purchase, and I’m only trying to take the best care of chassis and engine as possible. Yes, she gets dirty every weekend through spring,summer and fall, but she gets sprayed off after trail rides, I just can’t do that in the winter. Thanks in advance,

My thoughts, Number 1:

Keep driving it. I drive my 40s in the winter, but only on those winter days when the roads are bone dry. It is better to take a 15-minute drive than to just let it idle in the garage, where moisture builds up in your exhaust and other places and causes rust or corrosion.

Number 2:

Buy a Battery Tender and keep it plugged in.

I don't do anything special with my rig. Drive it on occasion when the weather is nice, run it up to the ski hill regardless of weather. Park it in the garage and do some oddball maintenance.

I don't even worry about it if I don't start it in a month or so, it fires right up anyway.

Great advice guys. Thank you. I’ll do all of that. In fact I’ll go ahead and use it to grab a kid at 5. It’s cold so not slushy and wet and I’ll just run it on occasion this winter rather than idle in the garage, and great input about the moisture.
thanks!!

Took her for a spin. I did notice moisture came out of the tailpipe when I idled her earlier. I feel better about the little runabout :)

BDAF0FF6-DDEC-4256-B2E4-9D196C962D35.jpeg

If you short trip or just start and idle, not only do you build up water in the exhaust....but in the oil....in the spring when the days get warmer....do an oil change before you start putting miles on it.

Also...depending on the fuel you’re burning...if you’re using pump 10% ethanol and it has sat all winter, drain a gallon or so from the bottom of the fuel tank. Ethanal absorbs water...and it ends up in the bottom of the tank below the fuel pick up.

@finally don't forget to check the antifreeze temp.
you guys on that side of the mountains have been getting all the snow.

opposite here, will get parked in the summer.

Winter is the best time out here for a drive

As a new resident of AZ. Ms. Scarlet had to endure a couple of months of sweating in the garage. Much different than freezing in Colorado. Change the oil, fill the tank and put Stabil or Sea Foam in the tank and put on a battery tinder. She'll start up when you need her. Worst thing to do is start up and let it idle in the garage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom