Recommendation with a wheel/tire size problem FZJ80... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everybody, I've got a tire question that I can't seem to find has been discussed previously on Mud. Currently on my rig, I've got a full set (including matching spare) of 285/75r17 wheels and tires that came with the rig when I bought it, however I am wanting to go with a little bit bigger/wider of tire.

Ideally, I would like to go with the typical 80 set up with 315/75r16 however the cost of wheels and tires will easily exceed $2,200. Assuming I can sell my current set up for around $600, that is still a lot of money left to spend, being a college student.

An option I have however, is to just get new tires, 315/70r17 and save money on having to buy new wheels but it is not necessarily my preferred look.

Does anyone have experience with 315/70r17 tires on an 80? They are extremely comparable to the 315/75r16s and would be a significantly cheaper option and I don't think I have a year / year and a half left on my current tires to get by until I graduate and make enough money for my "ideal set up".

Thanks in advance for any advice, opinions, or anything anyone has to offer!

Screen Shot 2020-02-22 at 1.27.06 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-02-22 at 1.28.10 PM.png

I think your wheels look good and recommend keeping them. I have factory 16” wheels with 315’s. If you want to go to factory 16” wheels they pop up on craigslist from time to time. Here‘s 4 for $400 Currently listed.

i’ve seen many times where people want to go from 16 inch wheels to 17 inch wheels. Maybe you could get someone to do a swap with you.
With my rig I invest more in performance and less in appearances. If I were you I would put that wheel money towards better tires or towards a rear bumper (yours looks factory). Best of luck.

I think your wheels look good and recommend keeping them. I have factory 16” wheels with 315’s. If you want to go to factory 16” wheels they pop up on craigslist from time to time. Here‘s 4 for $400 Currently listed.

i’ve seen many times where people want to go from 16 inch wheels to 17 inch wheels. Maybe you could get someone to do a swap with you.
With my rig I invest more in performance and less in appearances. If I were you I would put that wheel money towards better tires or towards a rear bumper (yours looks factory). Best of luck.

I saw those wheels and was considering it, but I like the look of black wheels and once I factored in the cost of powder coating OEM wheels black I'll be right about where I would have spent for the aftermarket wheels I was looking at. But yeah, I definitely believe I'll be better served just upgrading my my tires for now. The rear bumper plan is in the works and is likely going to be a present to myself once I graduate college and get a "real job". As there is no conceivable way I could afford/justify the $2,200+ for one right now with some of the other things I need to take care of. Thank you!

Just stay with the 17's if you like your wheels. I went away from factory wheels to get a little more backspacing. I paid $1136 shipped for 5 cooper stt pro's in 315/70/17. If your old tires are above 50% tread, you can sell them used pretty easily.

IMG_20191016_162228334.jpg

This may be a stupid question, but will 315/75/16 fit on the factory rims? Currently I have 285/75/16 on the truck and need new tires. I wanted to go bigger, but did not want to change the rims. Hence my question.

Thank you.

Many of us run 315/75R16 on the factory rims.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom