Recommendation with a wheel/tire size conundrum FZJ80... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Edit for clarification: Because I live in Arizona and spend all of time exploring in the western US, jagged rocks are a constant on the trails. And with how heavy these 80s are when equipped, I want to have tires that will be able to find a good balance for extra sidewall & width to help distribute the load of the rig a little more while also providing a larger footprint when aired down for the sand, river washes, and the occasional snow I like to get into. But I also have a lot of highway miles getting to where I want to explore which is why I don't want to exceed 35s.

View attachment 2218927

Relax folks.
The only reason one "needs" bigger tires is if you are not getting where you want to go on your current tires. The set of of the OP's rig is indeed ideal for his stated use and budgetary constraints. Going 315s will cause fuel mileage to decrease and uphill speed to suffer on the freeway, while not providing any appreciable difference to the capability he now has.

Now, if he was constantly bashing his diffs and skids on rocks, then the extra inch of clearance could make a significant difference. To the OP--you seem like a reasonable person and have your priorities straight--If you WANT 315s, see about getting a set of OEM wheels from the Mud classifieds, and then look for a set of decent tires on CL. Total cost: well under 1k. Buy new tires in the desired size after having A) a job, and B) running both sizes and making an informed decision.

Great looking truck BTW!:cheers::cheers:

285/75/17 is a great tire size. Assuming your current tires are still in passable shape, I'd "run what you brung" until they need to be replaced. You're talking like a half inch difference in diameter compared to 315s. This would be 90% for looks (Heckraiser said judgementally while trying to conceal the fact that he bought 315's for primarily cosmetic reasons :eek: )

They have been great tires. I love the articulation and drivability of them, however they are over 6 years old, rotting between the treads, and at about 40% life left on them. The 40% is no biggy, it's the age and dry rot I am concerned about mostly. And figured if it's time to change I might as well try and get an extra 0.5" out of them, mostly for the extra footprint when when aired down and on the trails. But I do like the look I have now, which is why I don't want to go much bigger.

Relax folks.
The only reason one "needs" bigger tires is if you are not getting where you want to go on your current tires. The set of of the OP's rig is indeed ideal for his stated use and budgetary constraints. Going 315s will cause fuel mileage to decrease and uphill speed to suffer on the freeway, while not providing any appreciable difference to the capability he now has.

Now, if he was constantly bashing his diffs and skids on rocks, then the extra inch of clearance could make a significant difference. To the OP--you seem like a reasonable person and have your priorities straight--If you WANT 315s, see about getting a set of OEM wheels from the Mud classifieds, and then look for a set of decent tires on CL. Total cost: well under 1k. Buy new tires in the desired size after having A) a job, and B) running both sizes and making an informed decision.

Great looking truck BTW!:cheers::cheers:

I am more more looking for a slightly wider tire, which has me considering 305/70 now. My current tires are only 11.26" wide and I would like to be closer to 12". Clearance has never been an issue, thankfully. My ideal tire would be closer to 34.25" diameter and 12.25" width. Currently, my 285/70 tires are specified as being only 33.86" not a true 34" tire. But yeah, I didn't realize a thread discussing between .5" would turn into this 😅😝.

But I agree with your last points, I think I'm just going to run what I have now until I deem them unsafe or until I get that "real" job.

Thank you for the advice & compliment!

They have been great tires. I love the articulation and drivability of them, however they are over 6 years old, rotting between the treads, and at about 40% life left on them. The 40% is no biggy, it's the age and dry rot I am concerned about mostly. And figured if it's time to change I might as well try and get an extra 0.5" out of them, mostly for the extra footprint when when aired down and on the trails. But I do like the look I have now, which is why I don't want to go much bigger.
Well in that case, go for the 315's if that's your cup of tea. Stick with your 17" wheels to save some money/hassle. Really no appreciable difference between a 315/70/17 and a 315/75/16. And then enjoy the new conundrum of what to do for a spare tire :D

Glad the sensible heads prevailed.
Happy Trails 👍

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom