Recommendation with a wheel/tire size conundrum FZJ80... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everybody, I've got a tire question that I can't seem to find has been discussed previously on Mud. Currently on my rig, I've got a full set (including matching spare) of 285/75r17 wheels and tires that came with the rig when I bought it, however I am wanting to go with a little bit bigger/wider of tire.

Ideally, I would like to go with the typical 80 set up with 315/75r16 however the cost of wheels and tires will easily exceed $2,200. Assuming I can sell my current set up for around $600, that is still a lot of money left to spend, being a college student.

An option I have however, is to just get new tires, 315/70r17 and save money on having to buy new wheels but it is not necessarily my preferred look.

Does anyone have experience with 315/70r17 tires on an 80? They are extremely comparable to the 315/75r16s and would be a significantly cheaper option and I don't think I have a year / year and a half left on my current tires to get by until I graduate and make enough money for my "ideal set up".

Thanks in advance for any advice, opinions, or anything anyone has to offer!

Edit for clarification: Because I live in Arizona and spend all of time exploring in the western US, jagged rocks are a constant on the trails. And with how heavy these 80s are when equipped, I want to have tires that will be able to find a good balance for extra sidewall & width to help distribute the load of the rig a little more while also providing a larger footprint when aired down for the sand, river washes, and the occasional snow I like to get into. But I also have a lot of highway miles getting to where I want to explore which is why I don't want to exceed 35s.

Screen Shot 2020-02-22 at 1.28.10 PM.png

Last edited:
I don't understand the problem. The two choices are essentially the same size tire on different sized wheels. What's the question?

I don't understand the problem. The two choices are essentially the same size tire on different sized wheels. What's the question?

Mostly, if there would be any observable difference between the performance of the two tires. I guess this is more of a 16" wheel vs 17" wheel problem than a tire problem actually... Sometimes I get too focused on one thing and the most obvious parts elude me lol.

It won't make a material difference in performance, let your budget dictate your choice as it seems like that is what is driving the question.

You're not going to know the difference between the wheel sizes from the driver's seat. The only noticeable difference is aesthetics, and even that is minimal- I can't spot the difference between 16" and 17" wheels from 20 feet away. Arguably, the 17" wheel is the better choice, as there are more tire options.

Also, the capability of the truck isn't going to change much with your proposed size, so why not just run what you have until they're worn out?

As spike has said the 17" wheels are better in the long run as 16" tires are going the way of the dinosaur. The main difference and it would be minimal is when you air down to go 4wheeling, the 17s will give you less side wall. That being said the natural progression is to keep getting bigger tires ( buy the biggest tires that well fit) I started with 35s went to 37s and now fitting 39s
1582424087777.png
By the way nice looking Reg, and I like you rims to. GO BIG or just run what you got. Just sayin

It won't make a material difference in performance, let your budget dictate your choice as it seems like that is what is driving the question.

Thank you, I appreciate the input. Your dual battery kit has actually been on my "to do" list for quite some time now, hopefully / maybe the money saved in keeping my current wheels will be thrown your way!

You're not going to know the difference between the wheel sizes from the driver's seat. The only noticeable difference is aesthetics, and even that is minimal- I can't spot the difference between 16" and 17" wheels from 20 feet away. Arguably, the 17" wheel is the better choice, as there are more tire options.

Also, the capability of the truck isn't going to change much with your proposed size, so why not just run what you have until they're worn out?

You're right, I think I'll keep what I have now and throw the money saved towards other parts of the rig. Thank you!

As spike has said the 17" wheels are better in the long run as 16" tires are going the way of the dinosaur. The main difference and it would be minimal is when you air down to go 4wheeling, the 17s will give you less side wall. That being said the natural progression is to keep getting bigger tires (buy the biggest tires that well fit) I started with 35s went to 37s and now fitting 39s. By the way nice looking Reg, and I like you rims to. GO BIG or just run what you got. Just sayin

Thanks for the advice, I'll probably be maxing out at 35s as I use the rig for a fair amount of long distance trips and it'll be a long while before I can afford a regear that would come along with going any larger. Thanks again!

If the pic in the OP is current, your setup is ideal.
Anyone saying you need bigger tires is a 'looks' zombie and not qualified to form an opinion on the matter.

Anyone saying you need bigger tires is a 'looks' zombie and not qualified to form an opinion on the matter.

I do like the look for the most part, but I would like to get it a smidge larger.

Nitto states the 285/75r17s I have on now are 33.86" diameter & 11.26" wide where as
305/70r17 is 33.86" diameter & 12.24 wide (I like the width, but would ideally like to fit a "true" 34" tire
315/70r17 is 34.41" diameter & 12.70 wide (this is much wider than I would like)
35x12.50r17 is 34.76" diameter & 12.52" wide but nearly are 15lbs heavier per tire (at 75lbs/per) than what I have now

I know this is all just like splitting hairs, which is what makes it so frustrating in my mind lol. Ideally I could find a 34.41" diameter tire that is 12.24" wide.

What's ideal for you is not ideal for everyone. Some People on this forum actually go 4wheeling where bigger tire work better. You sound very opinionated and not very qualified to be calling people 'looks Zombies' !!!!

What's ideal for you is not ideal for everyone. Some People on this forum actually go 4wheeling where bigger tire work better. You sound very opinionated and not very qualified to be calling people 'looks Zombies' !!!!
No, it's quite ideal for that truck. And yes, I'm fully qualified to call people that.

No, it's quite ideal for that truck. And yes, I'm fully qualified to call people that.
I well say it again whats Ideal for you is not Ideal for everyone !!!!!!!! and the only one qualified to say whats ideal for that truck is the owner/original poster.
Otherwise its just a opinion. And we all know opinions are like A holes and they all stink. Since your such an expert we should all consult with you before buying tires as you seem to know the best tires for Mall crawling and getting stuck in the snow. As for name calling I guess you just never grew up.
Rant over, Just diddly sorry for mucking up you thread

:rofl::rofl: Keep the comedy relief coming.... your on the fast track to being disregarded by anyone one here who knows even just a little bit about 80’s.

I do like the look for the most part, but I would like to get it a smidge larger.

Nitto states the 285/75r17s I have on now are 33.86" diameter & 11.26" wide where as
305/70r17 is 33.86" diameter & 12.24 wide (I like the width, but would ideally like to fit a "true" 34" tire
315/70r17 is 34.41" diameter & 12.70 wide (this is much wider than I would like)
35x12.50r17 is 34.76" diameter & 12.52" wide but nearly are 15lbs heavier per tire (at 75lbs/per) than what I have now

I know this is all just like splitting hairs, which is what makes it so frustrating in my mind lol. Ideally I could find a 34.41" diameter tire that is 12.24" wide.
Just Diddly - I've given you the most sensible and economical advice on this thread so far.
Others have offered different advice (or just hate against advice they don't like) without also making you aware of the consequences of their advice.
No one expects you to make a decision you don't want to make, so not really sure what they're all up in arms about.
At any rate, take what you want to consider and go from there.
Happy Trails! 👍

285/75/17 is a great tire size. Assuming your current tires are still in passable shape, I'd "run what you brung" until they need to be replaced. You're talking like a half inch difference in diameter compared to 315s. This would be 90% for looks (Heckraiser said judgementally while trying to conceal the fact that he bought 315's for primarily cosmetic reasons :eek: )

What are your qualifications exactly?
Relax, pinger.

(edit) And I'll even bother to add that I've said everything I need to.
If you or the others would like to endeavor to advise the OP how you see fit, go right ahead.
I've no vested interest either way.

Last edited:
:popcorn:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom