Recommendation for a car cover? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm having to park my Land Cruiser outside, and the California sun and summer heat concern me. We're in the Bay area, which can have high winds, so that's a consideration as well. Thanks for any suggestions!

I've had good last experience with the generic eBay ones you can buy for around $150. But you need to make sure you have a good coat of wax and the ideal is to not put them on a dirty truck.

If you're keeping up on your waxing and buy a quality form fit sunscreen for your windshield I think you can get away from any sun damage to your truck without a cover!

I'm having to park my Land Cruiser outside, and the California sun and summer heat concern me. We're in the Bay area, which can have high winds, so that's a consideration as well. Thanks for any suggestions!
If you're looking to have it sit for a long time with a cover on it, buy a QUALITY cover. Typically a soft interior surface with a PTFE (goretex) outer covering to allow it to "breathe" without allowing moisture to get in.

Secondly, the car cover MUST be able to fit TIGHT. The winds will cause the cover to flap and ripple in the same place for a long time and ANY place that moves will be like rubbing a paper towel on that area for a long time and will wear off the paint. You can use motorcycle straps to help pull the cover tight when coupled with the grommets listed below.

I have used a particular type of clamp on a car cover to help cinch it down over a classic car because the ONE type doesn't rip the covers. The kind with a hook or toothed clamp WILL tear the cover and make it worthless. See the Super Snap Grommets below. I use them on my lawn tractor cover, my cover for my Studebaker, as well as any tarp I use carrying stuff in a pickup because they will NOT tear or come loose.

Super Snap Grommets

Can't remember the brand I'm using, but it cost about $200 or so (the Premium one with soft liner and UV protective materials), seems to be holding up in the Florida sun. It came with a couple of bungie cords to pull it in at the front and rear.

There are however removable clamps that clamp to the fabric and as Bilt4me mentioned, I was concerned they might tear the fabric; that hasn't happened, yet (only two years old). Either Covercraft or Cover King??

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom