Recommend cable puller/hand winch/Come along? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After an adventure on the weekend where I proved that off camber roads, ice and autolockers don't mix well, I've decide to pick up a couple of hand cable pullers. I looked at Home Depot and Canadian tire, and saw winches for $30 to $60 that look like they will probably fragment and kill anyone trying to winch anything larger than a go-cart on flat ground. I looked at Wesco in Burnaby and saw a very expensive Tirfor winch that is definitely overkill for my purposes.

Basically I'm looking for a locally available hand puller that can pull an HJ60 up an embankment. Or..if anyone has done that successfully with a cheap canadian tire cable puller, let me know.

Who was it, Marcin or Mat R, had one long handled puller at Cabin Lake that could do the job. That's Gary in the background, simultaneously supervising and quaffing a Kokanie. Who says that men can't multitask?
Marcin cable puller.jpg

Last edited:
save yourself a tonne of grief -- get a good (used) winch.

A good come-along works. Or use a highlift jack with a shackle attached to the bar. Problem with both is the length of pull is pretty short. If you use ropes or webbing straps they stretch, so you might only get a couple feet of pull out of them. I'd go with a decent used winch. If theft is a big worry do a receiver mount and set it up to use front or rear.

Even if I eventually get a bumper winch, I'd want at least 1 hand unit for side pulls and vectoring.

So I'll have a closer look at KMS- I looked on their site and saw nothing though I was maybe not using the right search terms. Everyone calls these devices something different.

Any other retailer suggestions?

nice work lance thanks.. i had one years ago worked the best,it got stolen with the truck,never new where to get another one.that thing was perfect,way better than any turfer ,i like the dog system better than the sheer pin especially if your going to be over loading it.but if you do decide to buy a turffer make sure you get a few extra sheer pins for .

the conventional "come along" that has a small spool of wire rope is not rated for anything even close to the vehicle weight. The Magnum (ARB) unit that I have is rated to pull a full size truck or lift something silly like 4000lbs. It's not cheap though, but there are other brands of the same thing and you can find them used at times. I would look at industrial suppliers, especially for the forestry trades for units like that. The traditionall Jack All with no modification at all can pull a truck as well ( had to do that once before I had a winch ). It's slow and tiring but it works.
The ARB Magnum I have has already been used on several trips and has payed for itself. Safety and getting home is worth a couple bucks to me.

Thanks Lance. That post is actually what sparked my inquiry. I don't like ordering stuff over the internet, so I was hoping I could find something like the More Power puller on a shelf somewhere in the lower mainland. If no one in the next few days comes up with anything local, Ill probably order the More power...

the conventional "come along" that has a small spool of wire rope is not rated for anything even close to the vehicle weight. The Magnum (ARB) unit that I have is rated to pull a full size truck or lift something silly like 4000lbs. It's not cheap though, but there are other brands of the same thing and you can find them used at times. I would look at industrial suppliers, especially for the forestry trades for units like that. The traditionall Jack All with no modification at all can pull a truck as well ( had to do that once before I had a winch ). It's slow and tiring but it works.
The ARB Magnum I have has already been used on several trips and has payed for itself. Safety and getting home is worth a couple bucks to me.

If you want one they are about to raise prices, don't know how much but currently they sell for $165 US Not bad for a cable puller rated at 3 tons with no snatch block and 6 tons with it. And price includes the snatch block.
https://www.wyeth-scott.com/index.asp

Main problem with the cheap cable pullers is the small cable. 1/4 in cable is only rated for a working load of about 1400 lbs not exactly safe to pull an HJ60 up an embankment. And even though the more power puller is rated at 3 tons, the 5/16 cable it uses has a working load limit of 1800 lbs. Our 5/16 winch cables are in the same predicament.

Seems odd that everyone overlooks just how much you are supposed to load up a cable. While the breaking strength is there you should be at or below the working load limit which is only one fifth of the breaking strength. Surprisingly most sythetic lines are only marginally stronger

Tony

Last edited:
get the three ton and just pack a couple cheap 5 inch snatch blocks extra cable and crosby clips ,im surprised princess auto wont bring that on for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom