Recommend a good BMW forum - like Mud? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Threads
I have a need to learn about the 1985 BMW 635 and was wondering if anyone could steer me to a good bimmer forum so I don't have to join them all and find out which ones are full of non technical poseurs? Thanks in advance.

DougM

bimmerforums is probably your best bet.

roadfly used to be good back in the day - haven't spent any time there lately, but I know it's gone downhill.

bimmerfest - meh.

I know absolutely nothing about bigcoupe.com, but it is solely for e24's...

I recall there being a specific 6 series forum but can't find it right now. What do you want to know? I know quite a bit about the E24 and am currently driving an E34 535i which uses the same basic drive train.

I used Bimmerboard, but the e24 section doesn't seem especially active: The 6 Series E24 Forum

Apparently the e24 shares a lot with the e23 and e28, possible good resources. My strategy for finding forums like this is to google [+e24 +forum], then see which one has the largest amount of recent posts. Quality comes second, lots of traffic is initially my goal to finding out what issues a vehicle might have, and getting timely responses. The biggest Phaeton forum has been kinda like our 100-series forum: not a lot of traffic and not a lot of DIY info.

Last edited:
Back when I had my E34, I learned roadfly sucked, it was a bunch of pretentious posers with not much actual tech. Bimmer.info spawned from the lack of tech at roadfly, bimmer.info is now bimmernut.com . Unfortunately, it is mainly e34, so doesn't help you much :doh:. I will recommend BMAAutoparts for good prices and quality parts.

Thanks, I'll check it out. I may be taking care of a 635 soon - a car that ranks as one of the nicest styling executions in recent history to me.

DougM

The drivetrain suspension and brakes in an 85 635, are identical to an E28 535. They are pretty stout cars. The drivetrain lasts a LONG time if well maintained. I know of one that has over 800k on it that went well over half that on it's original engine. But the six series body, trim, and interior parts are ungodly expensive. As long as it's a nice one and it just needs mechanical love, no big deal. If it's a restoration project it could very well cost more to make it nice than it's worth. But they are nice cars, especially for their time.

R3vlimited.com -- has some good swap forums, since swapping other BMW motors into E30 bodies is commonplace. If you are looking for good motor tech there might be something for you there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom