1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recommend a few ATVs...

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by Arya Ebrahimi, Jul 26, 2005.

1. Arya Ebrahimi

Arya Ebrahimi

Looking to pick up an ATV to use around the new property. Its main uses will be accessing remote parts of the property and property maintenance such as dragging trees around and so forth. Not really looking for an uberfast thrill ride, just a grunt of a work horse that a beginner could ride.

I've probably ridden an ATV about 10 times in my life and I'm the most experienced of the would-be users.

Anybody got any favorites that I should check out? or at least some general specs to follow as I begin my research? We will more than likely pick up a tractor in the future, but for the time being this and the 80 will be the utility vehicles used around the property(we hire out the bush-hogging and snowplowing currently).

Also, pros and cons of buying new and used?

Thanks

Ary

P.S. I'm the lightest of the would-be users coming at 180lbs. My brother is probably gonna be the heaviest at 220lbs. Dunno if it makes a difference or not, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

2. reffug

reffug

Get a Yamaha Banshee or Raptor and say fawk it.

3. FLFJ40

FLFJ40

4. LabRat11

LabRat11

ATV's are for driving fast and going yeeeeeehaaa. What you're looking for is a utility vehicle for property management and you should look at a Kawasaki Mule.

http://www.kawasaki.com/product_category.asp?category=3&tag=utility

Personal experience - have and use a 3010 4x4 (wish the diesel was availible when I got mine) - you can cary about 1000 lbs in the bed, tow about 1500lbs, 4x4, lockable xfer case, high clearence suspension, roll cage, engine has good grunt, air intake is in the top of the cage (snorkle), many other options availible. Have had it 4 years - used it hard - nothing more than normal maintenance - love it.

5. Zack1978

Zack1978 SILVER Star

Media:
    Get the Yamaha Grizzly and be happy! It the best ATV IMHO out there!

Zack

6. Arya Ebrahimi

Arya Ebrahimi

I have considered the mules, but am not sure they have the compactness that I need to get around on that property. There are a lot of DENSE woods and I just don't think something a little bigger than a golfcart will be able to maneuver through them.

Also, although I don't need the ATV for the fun, I will definately use it for that. As I said before I just need a good utilitarian ATV. If I need to haul stuff bigger than that, I'll use the 80 or borrow someone's tractor.

Ary

7. brian

brian SILVER Star

unless they're small trees, a quad won't drag them, even the 4x's.
    quads are for going FAST...

8. concretejungle

concretejungle SILVER Star

If you're not going balls-to-the wall, you can't hardly beat a honda. Polaris are good units, but seem to have a lot of recalls. Bombardia (sp?) makes a really tough ATV that runs the super torquey and reliable rotax motor.

9. bigndn

bigndn

Media:
    Albums:
    Bombardier Outlander XT

400 H.O., auto trans, select 2X4/4X4, winch, diff-lock, awesome!! The Rotax engines are bulletproof and the Bomb's are all around quality rigs. They make Ski-doo as well. You can even get a two-seat version.

Mine does all you are looking for and then a bunch more. My 7 YO :princess: loves to drive me around on it, so it's easy to operate. IMHO, one of the best out there with the Honda Rubicon and Yamaha Griz.

You need a UTILITY ATV.

10. Gumby

Gumby Supamod Staff Member s-Moderator

Hondas are bulletproof

Polaris are really easy to use, but have poor initial build quality. Once you get the bugs out they are the best for what i did with mine - beat the piss out of it

I have heard good things about the Bombadier. they are the company that makes ski-doos and sea-doos. the Rotax engines are nice. - Buying from French Canadians is only slightly better than buying from the French though ;)

The Kaw Mule and Polaris Ranger are nice utility vehicles. Dump beds, tandem seating, roll cages. Well worth looking at for your needs.

11. David Clayton

David Clayton

Honda Best on Earth

That ad phrase is true in my book. Go for the new 500 Foreman w/ manual trans.

12. CruisinGA

CruisinGA

Hondas are where it's at.

Not as flashy as most others, but by far the best build and engineered.

I've ridden all the major brands, I've owned two hondas and would have nothing else.

Polaris chassis and suspensions are excellent, but the engines/transmissions are horrible. The transmissions are not sealed and taking in water ruins them.

Yamaha's like honda are build well, but the suspensions are crap.

Suzuki's are ok, the King Quad is a personal favorite.

Heres two personal stories for honda-
    I've ridden my honda for distance above the seat in water, rolled it 5 or 6 times, and generally abused it like any teenage boy would, and it looks no worse for the wear. Took it in for one $300 tuneup and general service after several years of riding, and it was back to new driving condition.

I once owned a 1985 Fourtrax 4x4, it was 15 years old at the time, and had sat in the weather with no plastic on it for several years, after being ridden into the ground by farm hands. It took a buddy and I two afternoons of less than skilled work to have it running and riding again. The only part we replaced was the rusted out gas tank.

Honda's auto trannies are also the best, electronically shifted GEAR (vs poloaris belt) transmissions with the capability to button or manual foot shift.

HONDA! :D

13. desertdude

desertdude SILVER Star

Not wanting to start a new thread - What about for sport - Honda versus Yamaha?

14. brian

brian SILVER Star

honda 400ex-air cooled, old, outdated, slow by "modern" standards, but BULLETPROOF

honda 450R-liquid cooled, fast, smooth, hell-of-a-lot better then the ex, but still nothing super special

yama 450-liquid cooled, just about a store bought race ready machine, not for the faint of heart, it'll pull the smile off your face, pretty much the king of the hill...for now...

and because it's what i have

zuki z400-liquid cooled, not the fastest anymore(see above), but most say it's the most comfy for long trail rides, also has reverse.still gets big points for it's handling. look for the z450 to be released ANYtime soon, that *should* be the new king, if it ever shows up.

15. haystax

haystax

'nother vote for Honda - any size and configuration, just depends on your checkbook - they are bulletproof

I'm not really sure acbout the Yamaha vs Honda for sport and dunes - Yamaha has been building good quads for a while, way before Honda came out with there 400EX or whatever it's called. More aftermarket support for Yamaha with the Banshee following. You might be able to pick up a built older two stroke Honda - they are pretty sweet and way lighter than a Banshee. I generally avoid all quads like the plague - bikes are just way more fun and don't roll down the hill chasing you when you crash just to run over you and make sure you are really hurting in case the inital fall wasn't enough :D

16. desertdude

desertdude SILVER Star

Quote: yama 450-liquid cooled, just about a store bought race ready machine, not for the faint of heart, it'll pull the smile off your face, pretty much the king of the hill...for now...
    --------------

Good info! - still researching the specs - and need to hear real world opinions- I would rather buy the best and cry once

17. desertdude

desertdude SILVER Star

haystax - thanks for chiming in - I was really heading the bike route - but i want something offroad i can do with my GF - she is somewhat shaky on a bike - but very comfortable on an ATV - something about 4 wheels on the ground - True enough ATV's can turn on you in a heatbeat

18. 89s rule

89s rule

well i was always a honda man through school and etc. but I found a sweet deal on a 95 yamaha warrior last year. $500 and only had to spend about $200 to get it running. So basically I have a sweet deal on a quite quick 4wheeler that i dont care if i wreck it, scratch it etc. If I had spend $4K on a ATV I would go nuts if i wrecked it and cracked plastic or anything. Good grief thats more than I have in my cruiser.

I guess it boils down to $ and how much you are willing to spend.
    If you are cheap then check the clasifieds and trader papers as well as putting the word out with your buds. If you have the $ to blow then go to the dealership and buy the one you like best by the advice here or whatever.

19. concretejungle

concretejungle SILVER Star

ATK all the way! Fuel injection, ohlin's suspension. THey are the revamped cannondale atv's. Faster than a honda or yamaha. I've seen videos of them eating banshee's for lunch on the sand dunes.

About the Rotax motor, IIRC they are made in Austria. THe motor, that is. I don't know about the rest of the ATV.

20. desertdude

desertdude SILVER Star

ATK all the way!
    ---------------------
    Post some links!