1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

recommend a dirt bike?

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by bigndn, Jul 31, 2005.

1. bigndn

bigndn

Media:
    Albums:
    I've been thinking of picking up a dirt bike for a while now and am curious what you guys think. I've been out of the bikes for a lonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng time now, so bear with me. I'm leaning toward a Honda XR400, but now I see things like the CRF450 and CR500 being used a lot. I just want to ride the trails that are too narrow for my '40 or ATVs. I won't be jumping it, riding wheelies at 60, or anything X-gamesish.

Any input on 4-stroke vs. 2-stroke? How about size (does it really matter)? What do you have/recommend and why? By the way, I'm a fairly big boy at 250, so I think anything less than a 400 wouldn't cut it............am I wrong?

2. concretejungle

concretejungle SILVER Star

I know where you can get an American made 600cc street legal dirtbike for a steal.

Edit: it's electric start and kick start for if you are in the wilderness and your battery dies.

3. Junk

Junk

From the same guy that should be working on his ROTW? :flipoff2: :flamingo:

4. BNC

BNC

I think 4-stroke is the way to go with all that low end torque, not to mention they are lighter than ever.

A 400cc bike will haul you around fine and then some, they may not make the most power, but in a bike that weighs not much more than you do it goes along pretty well.

One thing to keep in mind is that a heavier, more powerful bike is generally harder to ride on the more difficult trails for less experienced riders.

5. concretejungle

Fawk........... i'm getting right on that. :eek:

6. Junk

Junk

:grinpimp:

7. Razor

Razor

Ride Red.....Ride a Thumper.....CRF or a CRFX....250 or 450

The CRFX is pretty awesome, rode one today...little on the heavy side compared to the CRF but has electrick start for your lazy ass and a large tank for longer rides and other enduro type features..

I ride the CRF 450 and would want nothing else, the bike rules, starts easy, light and quick, I had a KTM 525 EXC for a summer, nothing but problems...(sorry Katoom owners, they suck)

8. Chang-kuao-lo

Chang-kuao-lo

I like my old '84 XT 600. Thumpers are great. 2 stroke gives explosive power, go real fast for min. cc, but are notorious for fouling spark plugs, my old '76 DT 400 had two spark plugs, foul one and switch the wire, I had a kwaky 750 triple 2stroke street-bike, had a spot under the seat for a spare plug and wrench (wot an insane bike! 80mph in second, and it wanted to wheelie! I had to sell it, the only bike I was actually AFRAID of) I also had a RD400 2stroke twin, fouled plugs all the time (my favouite street bike, great sleeper, looked like a POS, but would blow away any 650 not done up for racing! 85 BHP when I was done with it). 4 stroke is more reliable, and more low-end power, the way to go for just cruisin'. KLR 650 aint a bad unit for street/trail.

9. Chang-kuao-lo

Chang-kuao-lo

I think you might get bored pretty quick with anything less than a 500cc 4stroke. 2cents :)

10. Woodie

Woodie Guest

How about a Honda 50? Toss one buttcheek on each side, get it up to about 3mph and hit some coolass jumps

11. Newps

Newps

Hands down, Honda CRF 450, it does everything better, then any other bike that has ever been made. A buddy bought one for his wife, she was an OK rider. On the 450 she could go everywhere we went, the bike if just so easy to ride. The Honda 400 is a dog, does nothing well. Buy the 450 and you will be a happy pup.

12. Nick the Carpenter

Nick the Carpenter

13. mason

mason SILVER Star

Kind of depends on what ya want to do with it. If ya want to ride it around town, and to and from the trains, but mostly want to trail ride and do some rough stuff, I'd get the suzi drz400, hands down. It's the best dirt bike that's street legal. If ya only want to tear up the dirt, then the crf450, definitely. I rode one, and it was a hell of a bike. If ya want to get a bigger one cause of your size, I'd go with an xr650 or dr650 (I'm a honda dude, so I'd do the honda), and if ya want to do some long distance riding to boot, then the klr650, without a doubt. Eddie.

14. mason

mason SILVER Star

Oh, and 4 stroke, no question.

15. concretejungle

Just gotta call BS on that. :flipoff2:

16. mabrodis

mabrodis

bigndn, what type of trails are you looking at riding? I ask because a manageable bike on some trails is too big/tight on other trails, but a smaller bike might not have the power at higher elevations. I know here in CO, the 'normal' place to ride is up in the mountains, so elevation ranges from ~7000ft to ~13500ft. That's REALLY high for most bikes and something that will pull wheelies all day long even down in Denver might not do jack crap up there, and when you're climbing a ridge, above treeline, with whoop-de-dos that you need to hit with speed, you do NOT want a bike that's dieing from lack of power.

The only bike I would take out and ride is a 600cc 4-stroke, but that was several years ago and I know bikes make more power now. I know a few people who have the XR400 and love it, I think on paper it actually has (or maybe had) more power than the XR600. A family that we are friends with has been riding their whole life, everyone in the family had XR600's, even the girls (3 girls, 1 boy) when they were about 14 they were on a XR600, seems overly big and that you wouldn't need it, but trust me, in the mountains you do, and these girls, a 85 lb cutie could whip that bike around like you wouldn't believe, fun to watch, totally breaks the big guy for a big bike idea...

Anyhoo, since you are a fatass, like myself, I would make sure you get something with a nice soft seat. I believe the XR400 is less of a race-bike than say a CRF, and the less-racebike is probably what you want since on race-bikes the seat is usually only there to look pretty, NOT to be comfortable.

Biggest thing is I wouldn't sell yourself short on power, you will never regret having more power, if nothing more than riding in front of a buddy up a muddy trail and throwing mud a good 50' back is fun.. :D

17. Tigerstripe40

Tigerstripe40

Just dump the $$$ into your truck.

What happens when you roll your motorcycle?
    -You get an ambulance ride to the hospital...

What happens when you roll your truck?
    -You laugh or cry about it, winch it back up, and try again!!!

18. concretejungle

Bingo! I did that once with a kawasaki KLR 250 and never would do that again. I used to ride with a friend that had a drz400. Nice bike, not enough power i thought and it felt really narrow. Not really stable at 60mph cruising speed on the highway.

19. tea LC

tea LC

anyone have thoughts/experience on the yamaha TW200? i've started to research an enduro to help save on gas and help improve travel options ;)

Type 196cc, air-cooled, SOHC, 4-stroke single
    Bore x Stroke 67 x 55.7mm
    Compression Ratio 9.5:1
    Carburetion 28mm Mikuni
    Ignition CDI
    Transmission 5-speed w/manual clutch
    Final Drive Chain

[​IMG]

20. Newps

Newps

Have you ridden one? The bike is electric, smooth power delivery and nibble. Sorry but there has NEVER been a bike that is so GOOD in so many different departments.