Reclaimed Fj80 Build/Rejuvenation thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.whyturbothat.com
7 years ago I made the hard decision to sell my stock 95' locked fj80 to a friend when I needed money. It sucked but I at least made him promise me if he ever sold it he'd give me right of first refusal. A couple years later he decided to sell it and gave me a call. Unfortunately I still wasn't in the financial position to get her back. I called my brother/main wheeling buddy Rick and asked him if he was interested. He jumped at the chance had her at his house the same day. I made him also promise me right of first refusal if he sold it. After a bit his oldest son turned 16 and needed a car, so it's been in my nephew's care ever since.
Well recently I got the call from my bro that they are selling it and after all these years I was finally able to purchase it back for the smoking low price of $3000 dollars. He did give me the ol' family discount but the years have been hard on her. Multiple leaks including oil, tranny and axle seal, busted up door panels, striped seat gears, missing/broken interior pieces, torn seats, dead stereo, trashed front bumper, old cracked tires, partially finished sliders, 3 blown out shocks, rims with the wrong offset, faded are among the many things to be repaired/upgraded.

Here's the blank canvas:

fj80 1st pic.jpg

I don't have a complete plan as I'm out of the loop and want to keep my options open. But on the list either done, in process or planned is wheels, 35" tires, leaks, move cats/secure passenger slider, 2" lift, stereo upgrade, alarm and some kind of bumper upgrade. I'm keep adding as I go but that's where I'm starting. I already have the wheels and tires but I wanted to post the stock pic. Wish me luck and all suggestions/feedback is welcome!

Repairs/upgrades. I'll edit to update as I complete each one
leaky crank seal-done
leaky oil pump cover-done
leaky power steering line - done
AC compressor - done
starter - done
Move cats and fully attach passenger slider (done)
220 amp alternator (power bastards)
Big 4 upgrade 0 gauge
2nd battery set up (Slee tray and washer tank relocate kit)
Stereo system - in progress
Auto start alarm
Bed liner paint job (Raptor)
2" lift (ironman) - done
Sway bar disconnect (LCP)
Front and rear steel bumpers (coastal)
Led light upgrade through out
new carpet kit
re-upholster seats with marine vinyl
skid plates (I welcome advice on this one)

Last edited:
So I found a deal on tires I couldn't pass up. 35/12.5r17 mud tires for $187 shipped per tire. I have never bought an off brand tire in my life but I watched some youtube vids and they looked pretty solid so I took the shot. I found them on simpletire.com, a site my buddy turned me onto.

Next I went into discount tire to order some 17x9 steelies. Anyway when I told the guy the size and offset he showed me these black rhino sierras they had on hand. Apparently someone bought and returned them and they had been sitting for a bit. He started at $850 for the set and talked himself down to $667 before I cracked and bought them. He even threw in a free mounting and balancing.

The tires are fairly quite for an MT, balanced well and are really sticky. Honestly that may be the only knock on them. They feel so soft that i fear they may wear down quickly. Time will tell. Anyway I couldn't be happier with the look and feel.

Funny thing is even with the saggy stock springs I got zero rubbing driving around town.

fj80 pic 2.jpg

link to tires:

link to rims: https://www.discounttire.com/buy-wheels/black-rhino-sierra

I did however get some rubbing on the first trail run. No binding but definitely a touch big for stock height

fj80 pic 3.jpg

Not the best pic but I didn't get one of just the rig.

Next post Iron man 4x4 2" lift

Last edited:
Got the Iron Man 2" lift installed and damn does it ride smooth. I originally was going to go for a 4"-6" lift and I still will eventually but I just wanted to get it road/trail worthy as soon as possible. This way I can take my time and really figure out what I want to do.
On a side note, I dig everything about Iron man; Catalog, pricing, service. They just really have their act together. And for $639 you can't beat this kit.
IMG_20200624_174858.jpg

My old shocks and springs had seen better days. I'm pretty sure only one of my shocks even functioned properly and the rear springs were so saggy I ended up with over 3" of lift.

IMG_20200624_121541.jpg

Looks like a good platform, and I'm sure you're stoked to have her back!
What's your plans for the interior? Cloth or leather? Color?
You're in the perfect area for clean, rust free parts, with many cruiserheads in NM, AZ, and CA.

Looks like a good platform, and I'm sure you're stoked to have her back!
What's your plans for the interior? Cloth or leather? Color?
You're in the perfect area for clean, rust free parts, with many cruiserheads in NM, AZ, and CA.

Thank you! I really am stoked! My fj62 is fun but the 80 is such a better driver.

For interior I'm sticking with stock tan color scheme. The upholstery shop is going to use a really sturdy marine vinyl with everything double stitched. It should be pretty durable. The plan is to drop off all seats but driver. While they're getting worked on I'm going to install the new carpet kit and replace the gears in the driver seat. Then at some point I'm going to rebuild the cargo area side panels to be a little more useful and durable.

For mechanical parts this area is great but the sun wreaks havoc on interior parts. They fade and deteriorate. That's part of the reason why I'm going with marine vinyl on the seats. For interior pieces I tend to look at less sunny areas. In fact I just got a box of goodies from @slow95z last week.

Reactions: YMT
Here's how my buddy Jesse solved the cat/slider mount problem. I like it because aside from a 45 degree rotation the cats are in the factory location and we were able to get some additional ground clearance as well.

IMG_20200724_105123.jpg

IMG_20200724_105132.jpg

IMG_20200724_105114.jpg

I'm pretty stoked about the clearance
IMG_20200724_105200.jpg

Last edited:
Going to tackle this tomorrow with my nephew. Front and rear bumpers from Coastal Off-road. I didn't see a lot of feedback on these diy kits but what I did see was positive. And the price is right
IMG_20200808_065244.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom