Recess dimple between valve (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Wonder what is the real purpose of these recess dimple between valve, 3B cylinder head in my case?
Found a reconditiionned head (welded) and the dimple are way less, but engine ran fine.
Now I have another head at the fusion welding shop, last time I saw it, it was welded (removed crack between valve) and then shaved...no more recess dimple.

Make me wonder, look around in the shop and realise that not all engine (diesel) have dimples. Is that a high speed engine thing, don't recall seing it on medium speed engine.
Since I don't rev the Engine at 4000rpm, Maybe I could keep the head like this, not grinding the recess?(less chance for cracks)

My guess is that it help to close the valve, avoid floating at high rpm, since area became smaller?
Any one have knowledge on that subject?
Thanks

7266860f-a439-4577-85ce-63c22221559d.jpg

I did not ask to recreate the dimples between valve, asked many places and I still don't really know for sure what is the real purpose.... It may help to fill the chamber with fresh air, without them, it could lead to higher EGT? Not sure. It's been done before on a 2H head with a turbo and the guy went overland across America...

Pictures are before and after fusion welding repair. Thanks

fissure_entre_soupapes.jpg

3B_without_dimples.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom