Recent Upgrades: Intercooler / Electric Fan / Thermostat + Oil Leak Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This weekend I did a ton of stuff to the KZJ78 - but it does come with some observations and questions I was hoping to get from the experienced folks here. I also want to special shoutout to epaul for his intercooler build thread which helped me with mine. If anyone has any questions and is planning to do theirs, please reach out. I'd love if you were to check out some of the questions and provide any insight. Thank you in advance. Happy to send additional reference photos.

Parts List / Install List

1. Mishimoto Z-Line front mount intercooler w/ 2" intercooler piping
2. Flexalite Wave Loboy 16" Electric Fan 3000+ CFM 10 Blade
3. custom sheet metal shroud
4. Davis digital thermatic fan switch (allows me to set fan temp)
5. Davis inline thermal sensor adapter
5. Tridon High Flow 77C Thermostat
6. Radiator flush from green coolant (which was in it when I bought it) to Toyota Long Life Red
7. 2" Intercooler Pipe Assortment (Amazon) (x2) + 2" to 2.5" coupler + 2" to 2.5" 90 elbow (x2) - I had extra left over, but I really needed 90 elbows.

Observations:
- She has a little more pep in her step now. I used to take forever to get up to speed with traffic, but it feels like now I can drive at speed with traffic much easier. Given, I still watch my EGTs religiously as I accelerate. I still hit 900 from a red light to cruising speed, but it does so faster.
- I mention this later but EGT temp is at 850-875 @ 65mph flat ground.
- The lowboy fan is barely noticeable from a sound aspect over the engine. I couldnt tell it was on from inside the cabin.
- The hood closes normally, so all the intercooler pipes clear. There is a bit of rubbing on one pipe from the shroud on the hood, but I wouldnt consider it excessive (as of yet).
- For the crossover pipe I used a normal pipe clamp instead of the round ones since it's a little bit of a rectangular shape. The normal pipe clamps are more flexible and conform to the shape better.
- It helped to get a little bit of WD40 silicone lubricant to get some of the intercooler pipes on the silicone hoses.

Below are some images from the build and some references for a couple questions...

Question 1:
Post intercooler - I notice I am still at around 850-875F on my EGTs cruising at about 60-65 on flat ground. Typically I probably would be at 900 or just over. Based on what I've read, I was expecting a more significant change in temps. Should I be worried as I load up and head on trips with moderate uphill climbs? Not sure if I should adjust my expectations here, but I was hoping this would give me some peace of mind as I drive. Not sure if it really has. Is this a normal EGT for highway speeds on flat ground?

Question 2:
I'm noticing some oil spraying out of what I think is the oil hose or somewhere near it at the top of the block. I never noticed any on the ground but I do notice some build up as I was digging into my engine, and most recently saw some fresh oil on my intercooler pipes. Is there any part numbers to fix this or any links anyone can recommend for this particular issue?

Question 3:
If I'm still getting these EGT numbers and I've already done EGR delete, 3" exhaust, dump pipe upgraded prior to the upgrades this weekend -- is there anything I should be looking into? I feel like I read build threads and people's EGTs seem much lower.

IMG_3987.jpg

IMG_3998.jpg
IMG_4001.jpg
IMG_3996.jpg
IMG_4002.jpg

sorry can't be more helpful but you are just going to have to clean and hunt, clean and hunt. If the leaks were not there before, more than likely you created the leak.
nice add ons.
I put an aussie engine guard for temp monitor recently , just bolts directly to the head and powers from my aux battery. Much easier than tapping the coolant. I can read the temp of my engine accurately from the house kitchen, love it.

I wouldnt have called the electric fan an upgrade. x2 for the Engine Guard or the Engine Watchdog

I would also add, that one has to be beware of adding aftermarket stuff. Like anything , things degrade and require repair, spare o'rings / consumables for example. Generally things need to be maintained, tweaked and perked to refresh.

I just had to replace a seal on an aftermarket oil bypass filter after 3-4 years heavy use. Luckily I had a spare seal, as I liked it so much I so happened to have another one to put on an engine I am building ground up. I felt real clever when I installed it 3-4 years ago, but geez, a bit of a pita to repair! Absolutely no one could help me figure that one out, no one to ask.

Aftermarket stuff does not have the same longevity as toyota parts, say 10 years, 20 or 30 years! OEM Toyota has the long track record, hands down. Furthermore, aftermarket manufacturers often replicate the OEM toyota parts because it was so good in the first place.( to differing levels of quality). Then there is the backup of the excellent toyota manuals, which are simply timeless.

My bypass filter is an excellent design and good quality, however, I know the maker is very clever, but old , he shall not live another ten years, unlikely. Then where do I go for spares and consumables?
Start again I guess.

what boost? you may have already said but I'm an impatient reader, fully overloaded flat to the floor on a hot day with a trailer I'm lucky to see anything over 650c , boost is between 16-18 psi, if i pull wastegate off altogether and boost spikes between 22 and 26 psi my egts sit at around 450 but its murder on the turbo , you should hear it screaming for mercy
boost is your friend here, the more pounds the better, plus steel shaft bronze bearing old turbos do take a bit of a hammering before snapping
Bin the electric fan and use the factory viscous fan, 100% better than anything an electric fan can put out
My thing fumes and breathes like a diesel train will all sorts of oily spray all over the engine bay from time to time, I say my compression is a bit sad
if you have the factory headlight washers still operational this makes for a super easy intercooler sprayer to help temps as well

what boost? you may have already said but I'm an impatient reader, fully overloaded flat to the floor on a hot day with a trailer I'm lucky to see anything over 650c , boost is between 16-18 psi, if i pull wastegate off altogether and boost spikes between 22 and 26 psi my egts sit at around 450 but its murder on the turbo , you should hear it screaming for mercy
boost is your friend here, the more pounds the better, plus steel shaft bronze bearing old turbos do take a bit of a hammering before snapping
Bin the electric fan and use the factory viscous fan, 100% better than anything an electric fan can put out
My thing fumes and breathes like a diesel train will all sorts of oily spray all over the engine bay from time to time, I say my compression is a bit sad
if you have the factory headlight washers still operational this makes for a super easy intercooler sprayer to help temps as well
Thank you - now that my viscous fan clutch is out I’m going to refill the fluid in it and put a 10 blade fan on it. I’ll give it a shot again. Currently on stock boost but I just bought a boost controller so I intend to up it some.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom