Recent CA-Legal LS Swap? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

jaymar

SILVER Star
Threads
Someone here recently did this, defied the odds and passed the referee. Where's that thread? Thanks!

Someone here recently did this, defied the odds and passed the referee. Where's that thread? Thanks!
I think if your not OBD2 its easy with an E-rod Crate motor, defying the odd or just paying the California Extortion fee. Are 95s fjs OBD2? Mine is a 97 and its OBD2

Mine is 95 OBD II. Not sure about the guy with the recent swap…

You are fine with 95' and a crate. OBD2 is not a requirement until 96, therefore you are "considered" OBD1...
You mean you can compel them NOT to use the OBD II readings? That would be interesting. Jonathan Ward stopped doing them because the state reinterpreted its own rules on (IIRC) engines and weight classes, and does everything it can to disapprove the swaps. BUT there's a guy here somewhere who did one within the last year, I think into an FZJ, I think around San Diego(?), and got it approved. Looking for that thread, or anyone else who recently got an FZJ LS swap approved...

You mean you can compel them NOT to use the OBD II readings? That would be interesting. Jonathan Ward stopped doing them because the state reinterpreted its own rules on (IIRC) engines and weight classes, and does everything it can to disapprove the swaps. BUT there's a guy here somewhere who did one within the last year, I think into an FZJ, I think around San Diego(?), and got it approved. Looking for that thread, or anyone else who recently got an FZJ LS swap approved...
There is no compelling...., call BAR yourself and have your answer 1st hand.

Better yet go talk to the referee. he will tell what he wants to see :oops:

It’s mostly up to the local refs…. To a point
If u have a 96 down and an extra $12k Erod is the way (out of simplicity). Not sure why the YouTube guy made it sound impossible, maybe he’s got a crappy BAR ref or the red didn’t want to deal with him anymore
I myself have a 97 so I’ll have to hodgepodge and follow a bunch of OBD2 rules

Seems like a crapshoot to me. Have you heard of states in the East (Vermont comes to mind) deciding that people can no longer register their previously lawfully registered Mitsubishi Delica vans? It just wouldn't surprise me if CA one day says you can no longer register your LS powered 80 Series, and the current state of affairs seems murky to me. I am not expert on this (at all), but I would be very reluctant to put big time or money into an LS swap in CA. If it comes down to which ref you get and whether they are in a bad mood...count me out. I have to assume that Jonathan Ward and TLC are as well informed on this as can be. Just my two cents.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom