Receiver hitch for 70 series? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a KZJ70 and Im looking for a bolt on receiver hitch that bolts to the rear cross member. Anyone know if they are made and where I can get one?

I have looked here in the UK and there seems to be none, I used to live in NY so I have friends over there who could mail it to me if there is anywhere stateside that does them?

At the minute I have this crappy drop plate but its more of a plough/anchor than a hitch! :rolleyes:

P8241504.jpg

ummm, standard thread instead of metric which means you have to drill out the thread nuts on the back side of the crossmember and use the nuts supplied..
which, to me, is just unacceptable from a LC supplier when the metric bolts are available...

ummm, standard thread instead of metric which means you have to drill out the thread nuts on the back side of the crossmember and use the nuts supplied..
which, to me, is just unacceptable from a LC supplier when the metric bolts are available...

Not the case on my JDM 70 series; there were no 'thread nuts' just 1/2" 13mm holes with bolts&nuts securing the JDM tow ring. The bolts supplied by 4WD are just the right length to secure the JDM tow ring over the 4WD receiver hitch, and leave the elastic stop nuts visible on the outside where they can be seen if they become loose and the nuts are less likely to rust like the original nuts behind the frame member did. I also strengthened the frame crossmember with a 1/4" steel channel behind the hitch that extends out the sides to protect the body and is secured to the frame where the OEM bumper mounts did. This will reduce any twisting of the crossmember from the 4WD receiver hitch shown here.
thumb_Our%20hitch1.jpg
06-45-5r2-ToyotaLandBJ74.jpg

Last edited:
hummm, interesting...
i have never seen a 70 series without the nuts welded to the back side...

either i am real lucky or you weren't, no matter which, this is good info for me to remember...

hummm, interesting...
i have never seen a 70 series without the nuts welded to the back side...

either i am real lucky or you weren't, no matter which, this is good info for me to remember...
I've seen that same tow ring on quite a few JDM 73s and 74s, and I suspect it's OEM. Perhaps the 73/4 frames didn't have welded nuts at that point.
No evidence that any were ever there since it would be difficult if not impossible to grind them off since there's not enough room.

Last edited:
nope, not saying there was...
not questioning your or your statement at all...

just good info since i had a misconception that all did...

That hitch looks nice. Ive sent a email so we will see if they can help me out. Im looking for a receiver hitch that can take at least 3tons really so I can tow the maximum allowed weight. Looks like that hitch is not strong enough?

As you can see I already have the correct fitting bolts so Ill just re-use those. Mine has the nuts welded to the crossmember too.

Is that the only company that makes them for the 70 series or are there more? Just like to see a comparison really.

Last edited:
AFAIK that is the only one i have found...
i have installed a number of them and they are good quality, simple, clean and functional...

Fair enough, the only reason I thought it wasnt strong enough was that it says in the item description:
"Note: This hitch is designed for utility trailers only. DO NOT TRY TO PULL YOUR MOBILE HOME WITH IT!!"

Im guessing they mean huge house like trailers weighing 50+ tons? :rolleyes:

liability issues.
the hitch itself is as strong as any class 3 hitches i have installed but due to some idiot that is sue happy 4wheel had to cover their asses...
i have 3 more sitting here waiting to be isntalled... if they were crap then i would not recommend them...
simple as that.

BTW, depending on your rig, you will have a "personal" recommended tow max of 3000 lbs...

I have one like this for my 70. Pay no attention to that price as it includes installation.

Towing_Package___47ffdfe92d7db.jpg

That looks quite good too. How far does it hang down though? Im trying to make sure I dont have anything to spoil my departure angle.

No reply from Kevin at 4WA yet. :frown:

It hangs about 2.5" below the frame rail/rear crossmember but is still higher than the fuel tank.

ummm, John, that doesn't look like a 7* series rear cross member...
is that a full bumper?

Hoser and Crushers: Do you have pictures of the hitches mounted to 70s Id like to see them mounted so I can get some idea how far they hang down.

John Galt: As crusher says is that a 70 rear crossmember??

Two Thirty Dirty: That is more like what Im looking for! It isnt pretty but looks damn strong and doesn't hang down at all. Where can I get one from?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom