recalls (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have conflicting reports of recalls for the 84 60 series.
some web-sites mention rear belts and gas tanks, others only the rear belts.
i remember many references here to the gas tank issue, and would like to find out if mine was ever done, or is even qualified.
hammer

Two recalls

- gas tank
- rear seat seat belts

Take your VIN# to any Toyota dealer, talk w/ service manager; he/she can look up if your rig applicable / tended...

I just got my new gas tank put in the other day. Close to a $1000 dollars worth of parts for free due to the recall. Mine is an 83 60 series.

just '83,'84 for the recalls?

btw I'm in KS too

I have an 83 and an 84 FJ60. What was wrong with the gas tanks and seat belts?

I sent the Toyota USA (look it up online) an email with my VIN number...They replied and told when and where the upgrades were done. Upgrades for gas tank and seat belts were done by the original owner (I am the 3rd owner) at Toyota's expense. My truck is an 83 FJ60...

went to the local dealer, where i get my parts( the parts guy is good) and talked to the service mgr. ( he's NOT good)
the manager told me the 84 FJ60 never had any recalls. he claimed he typed in my vin #,even tho' he could have been playing solitare on the computer, since i couldnt see.
now what>
i tried toyota's web page, and after navigating it for about tem minutes, gave up trying to find any mention of recalls
hammer

check out the 3FE list on yahoo or birfield. In the files section there's an image of Toyota coorespondence issued in 1994 for certain Sept. 1980 through December 1989 Land Cruisers that Mike Harrison posted. My '88 FJ62 tank straps ate into the tank and I had a nice leaking seam that would percolate fuel if I had over a 1/4 tank. A fireball waiting to happen. I took it to the dealership and after a lot of head scratching they passed it to the service manager. Same story as hammer's - the service manager goes to his office to check on it and then he resurfaces later - his "computer" said I wasn't covered. Maybe he was telling the truth but my thought was that their shop would only lose money on a recall job. I would have used the recall image as backup had I known about it at the time. I ended up getting a long range tank instead. I'd go back to him w/ a print out of the recall and then have him provide proof of what his "computer" says. Put the HAMMER DOWN on this guy!

The problem is the recall ONLY applies to FJ60's. The tank straps are eating into my BJ60 tank (been patched once, yes they do that here in Central America and that's about all I let them do!) but they won't replace it.

hammer1 said:
i tried toyota's web page, and after navigating it for about tem minutes, gave up trying to find any mention of recalls
hammer

Hammer,

Try this,

log in Toyota.com, click on the 'About Toyota' icon, click on 'search/ help', click on 'contact us' (left side), click on 'search FAQ's', click on 'email Toyota' then just type in your Cruiser's info with VIN...

Hope this helps...

Meatloaf

The seatbelt recall just affected the rear lapbelts on the 60s. The retractor sucks so they came up with a plastic sleeve that is supposed to help the retract. It doesn't help much. What it really needed was a stronger spring to roll it up.

60wag said:
The seatbelt recall just affected the rear lapbelts on the 60s. The retractor sucks so they came up with a plastic sleeve that is supposed to help the retract. It doesn't help much. What it really needed was a stronger spring to roll it up.

The idea was that it would keep the belt from folding as it retracted, so a stronger mechanism wouldn't help the issue. Mine bound up a LOT when I'd have people riding in the back. I just make sure I tell 'em to ease the belt in so it doesn't fold when it's retracted. I have the little plastic things too :rolleyes:

ColoradoLC said:
They should implement their kaizens to improve this according to their company vision!

http://www.toyota.com/planetkaizen/index.html

My company is nuts about this stuff, but it is a good thing for a car manufacturer.

How are the seat belts in your average 18-24 year-old Chebby?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom