recalls

Discussion in '60-Series Wagons' started by hammer1, Nov 15, 2005.

1. hammer1

hammer1

I have conflicting reports of recalls for the 84 60 series.
    some web-sites mention rear belts and gas tanks, others only the rear belts.
    i remember many references here to the gas tank issue, and would like to find out if mine was ever done, or is even qualified.
    hammer

2. soggy60

soggy60

Two recalls

- gas tank
    - rear seat seat belts

Take your VIN# to any Toyota dealer, talk w/ service manager; he/she can look up if your rig applicable / tended...

3. kansascruiser

kansascruiser

I just got my new gas tank put in the other day. Close to a $1000 dollars worth of parts for free due to the recall. Mine is an 83 60 series.

4. b56tc

b56tc

just '83,'84 for the recalls?

btw I'm in KS too

5. toyman317

toyman317

I have an 83 and an 84 FJ60. What was wrong with the gas tanks and seat belts?

6. meatloaf

meatloaf

I sent the Toyota USA (look it up online) an email with my VIN number...They replied and told when and where the upgrades were done. Upgrades for gas tank and seat belts were done by the original owner (I am the 3rd owner) at Toyota's expense. My truck is an 83 FJ60...

7. hammer1

hammer1

went to the local dealer, where i get my parts( the parts guy is good) and talked to the service mgr. ( he's NOT good)
    the manager told me the 84 FJ60 never had any recalls. he claimed he typed in my vin #,even tho' he could have been playing solitare on the computer, since i couldnt see.
    now what>
    i tried toyota's web page, and after navigating it for about tem minutes, gave up trying to find any mention of recalls
    hammer

8. sl33py

sl33py

i called toyota directly and they looked up my VIN - already done... bummer wouldn't mind a new tank.

9. jmarsh1977

jmarsh1977

check out the 3FE list on yahoo or birfield. In the files section there's an image of Toyota coorespondence issued in 1994 for certain Sept. 1980 through December 1989 Land Cruisers that Mike Harrison posted. My '88 FJ62 tank straps ate into the tank and I had a nice leaking seam that would percolate fuel if I had over a 1/4 tank. A fireball waiting to happen. I took it to the dealership and after a lot of head scratching they passed it to the service manager. Same story as hammer's - the service manager goes to his office to check on it and then he resurfaces later - his "computer" said I wasn't covered. Maybe he was telling the truth but my thought was that their shop would only lose money on a recall job. I would have used the recall image as backup had I known about it at the time. I ended up getting a long range tank instead. I'd go back to him w/ a print out of the recall and then have him provide proof of what his "computer" says. Put the HAMMER DOWN on this guy!

10. cruiser_guy

cruiser_guy

The problem is the recall ONLY applies to FJ60's. The tank straps are eating into my BJ60 tank (been patched once, yes they do that here in Central America and that's about all I let them do!) but they won't replace it.

11. toyman317

toyman317

What is the story on the seat belts?

12. meatloaf

meatloaf

Hammer,

Try this,

log in Toyota.com, click on the 'About Toyota' icon, click on 'search/ help', click on 'contact us' (left side), click on 'search FAQ's', click on 'email Toyota' then just type in your Cruiser's info with VIN...

Hope this helps...

Meatloaf

13. 60wag

60wag SILVER Star

The seatbelt recall just affected the rear lapbelts on the 60s. The retractor sucks so they came up with a plastic sleeve that is supposed to help the retract. It doesn't help much. What it really needed was a stronger spring to roll it up.

14. ColoradoLC

ColoradoLC

15. Spook50

Spook50 Get ready

The idea was that it would keep the belt from folding as it retracted, so a stronger mechanism wouldn't help the issue. Mine bound up a LOT when I'd have people riding in the back. I just make sure I tell 'em to ease the belt in so it doesn't fold when it's retracted. I have the little plastic things too :rolleyes:

16. cruiserdan

cruiserdan SupportingVendor Emeritus Moderator

Land Cruiser Heritage Museum broom closet

How are the seat belts in your average 18-24 year-old Chebby?

17. mpetersrx7

mpetersrx7

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.