Recall Refusal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Dirtgypsy said:
I called a few weeks back to check out the recall on my rig as well. Toyota America's Database does not go back that far. You need to call another dealership if the local one is giving you the run around. The local dealerships will have the info. My tank and seatbelts were replaced many moons ago in California and the dealership here in Oregon had all the info with a couple of clicks of the mouse. Don't lay down and take it on this one. It is a safety issue that needs to be addressed. Good luck and keep us posted. Feel free to e-mail me your vin# and I can check with my guys here. They are super to deal with and very knowlegable.

clint
thats a way to help out very cool save me calling and:shotts: :D

When I did my tank (years ago) Toyota of Santa Monica (Len Sheridan) said they couldn't do it because the hoses bla, bla ,bla. I told them to get fxxxed and drove 2 miles to Toyota of Marina Del Rey and the set me up with an appointment the next day, and did the tank swap while I waited! Needless to say I never gave Len Sheriden(Toyota of Santa Monica) any business ever again. In So. Cal. there are Toyota Delerships all over the place. I think the number is close to 25 just in the Los Angeles area, so you can usually find a cooperative dealership. I say screw the stelership anyway as they are the biggest crooks around, but for recall work there is no choice.

Dynosoar

Anyone know of this is strictly for original owners? I think I'm the 3rd owner of my 60 & I sure know none of the recalls have been done on it. I have my hids in the back & want those seat belts to work properly.

Sometimes the dealers(and even Toyota HQ in CA) appear to be dragging their feet on a recall when they actually are incompetent at operating their own data systems."Cant find it" becomes "not availible." They owe you a gas tank...get some data from Toyota national, or the NHTSA web site for recalls and maybe get that regional rep to poke a stick at them.

Norcalvws: It doesn't matter who owns the vehicle: 1st owner or 40th...

Dynosoar: Toyota Santa Monica(formerly Len Sheridan) very smartly handled my recent minitruck steering recall, AFTER I found a "whitecoat" that wasn't a moron.

Recalls for safety items never go away. If you can prove ownership of the vehicle, they have to do it for you.

Maybe Dirtgypsy would post his dealer's name & phone # - you can call just like he did & they'll search by VIN.

It would be very helpful if someone could post the coverage of the two recalls - I've already replaced the driver's seat belt on my '83 because it was "lazy". I'd get all of them replaced in it & my '84 if they're all covered.

PO on my '84 told me he had the tank replaced already (original owner).

When I had my 60 tank done (just last year) I had the dealer ship check on both recalls for both of my rigs. The tank in the 62 had already been done, but I got a new tank for the 60. However, they said the parts were no longer available for the seatbelt replacement. Is this BS?

My experience with manufacturers, I've worked at Mazda Subaru and Ford dealers, I'm sure Toyota would be similar, is that these Help Desk and Customer Service people are fresh outta College and are actually 'temporary'(they just don't know it yet). What I mean is they get hired and think they got a good job and then @ 6 months they get laid off.......the manufacturers way of saving money by not paying benefits.........

Now that's my experience and I'm not saying Toyota does that but it's a good bet that these people have no automotive experience and are just robots answering the phone..............

I just called my local Toyota Service here in Portland Or. Ron Tonkin and they
looked up the vin number and told me in about 5 seconds that the tank and
belt was replaced in November of 1994. So if it is that easy i think your dealer
is just incompetant at best. I do have my dealers phone number if interested:

Ron Tonkin
Se 122nd Ave
Portland Or.

(503)255-7016

The fix for the seatbelt recall is lame. They don't replace anything. The recall simply adds some plastic guides that are supposed to improve the ability of the rear seatbelts to retract. The guide helps a bit but really doesn't fix the problem.

The gas tank, OTOH - I had mine done in 2001. The clerk showed me the paperwork. It was something like $780. I'm not sure if the dealer got reimbused for the full amount.

many thanks mr gypsy...funny they didnt tell me that but i guess you cant expect a *dealer* to keep track of stuff!

i appreciate your help; anytime there is anything i can do for you just ask!

one love
jah bill

I just bought my first cruiser a couple of months ago. I called Toyota of Dallas two weeks ago to check on these two recalls and sure enough niether had been done. The dealer didn't give me any grief, they immediately ordered the gas tank and seat belts and called me this week to let me know they were in. I'm bringing the truck in on Tuesday to get the work done, I'll let you know if there are any problems but I don't expect any. The guy even asked if the truck was rusted out so that he could plan on the amount of work required. I think you need to call a better dealership.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/recalls/results.cfm

Make / Models : Model/Build Years:
TOYOTA / LAND CRUISER 1980-1990

Type: ANY
Recall Number: 91V110000
Summary:
There is no summary currently available
Consequence:
FUEL LEAKAGE CAN LEAD TO FIRE WHEN NEAR AN IGNITIONSOURCE.
Remedy:
REPLACE THE FUEL TANK WITH AN IMPROVED TANK.
Notes:
SYSTEM: FUEL TANK ASSEMBLY.VEHICLE DESCRIPTION: MULTI-PURPOSE VEHICLE.DESCRIPITON OF DEFECT: CERTAIN HIGH TEMPERATURES AND LOADING EFFECTSCAN CREATE HIGH PRESSURE IN THE FUEL TANK. THE RESULTANT STRESS CANCAUSE EXCESSIVE LOAD TO THE FUEL TANK SEPARATOR WELD ATTACHMENTS TO THE INTERIOROF THE TANK, WHICH CAN RESULT IN CRACKS IN THE FUEL TANK AND FUEL LEAKAGE.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/recalls/recallprocess.cfm

What Can I Do if a Manufacturer or Dealer Refuses to Repair My Vehicle or Equipment at No Charge after a Recall Is Announced?

If a dealer refuses to repair your vehicle in accordance with the recall letter you received from the manufacturer, you should immediately notify the manufacturer. In most cases, contractual agreements between a manufacturer and dealers require all dealers to honor the recall and remedy defects at no extra charge, regardless of where the vehicle or equipment was originally purchased. Under the law, if a vehicle recall has been initiated, consumers are entitled to the remedy without charge, within a reasonable time. In most cases, there will be a time lag between the date of the manufacturer’s decision that a recall is warranted or the agency’s final decision, and the time the remedy is available to consumers. This time is provided to allow manufacturers to identify owners of vehicle or equipment included in the recall, develop remedial procedures, instruct dealers on how to repair the defect, distribute to dealerships the parts necessary for repair or replacement, and send letters to consumers informing them how the recall campaign will be conducted. A dealer is not required by law to remedy a defect in a vehicle brought in before that date. Although consumers demanding immediate correction may feel they are not receiving satisfactory resolution of the problem, there is no legal recourse available at this stage - patience is the only alternative. In instances where a manufacturer needs extended time to develop a remedy, the agency may require the manufacturer to send an interim notice to consumers that contains any short-term actions that the consumer may take to lessen the likelihood that the defect will occur.

Dirtgypsy said:
I called a few weeks back to check out the recall on my rig as well. Toyota America's Database does not go back that far. You need to call another dealership if the local one is giving you the run around. The local dealerships will have the info. My tank and seatbelts were replaced many moons ago in California and the dealership here in Oregon had all the info with a couple of clicks of the mouse. Don't lay down and take it on this one. It is a safety issue that needs to be addressed. Good luck and keep us posted. Feel free to e-mail me your vin# and I can check with my guys here. They are super to deal with and very knowlegable.

clint

I called the local Toy dealer a month ago on an 84 that was purchased out of Colorado and they we able to instantly pull up the info on when and where the recall was done on my rig.

try this:

With any luck this will post: original recall notice as issued by Toyota. Sorry for the poor quality - it's a scan of a low res print from a JPEG originally posted on www.cruizers.com forum 3 years ago by Yooper.

PM me if you want the full size file or maybe someone with a star could post it up larger for me. :D

HTH,
-dogboy- '87 FJ60
fueltankrecallnoticeweb.jpg

Just noticed the Tank in my '87 was leaking from the rear seam - called the local dealer (100+ miles away) and they told me right away the recall was still open on my truck. Had them check my '81 and it was never done either. They ordered them both - will take a while for the tanks to come in but worth a short wait. This thread may have saved me from blowing up in my '87!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom