1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recall Refusal

Discussion in '60-Series Wagons' started by AKcruiserfreak, Aug 29, 2006.

1. AKcruiserfreak

AKcruiserfreak

I am curious if any of you have had this issue. I took my 82 fj-60 into the dealer to have the gas tank replaced because of the recall, and they are refusing to replace it due to the "unavailability" of parts for it. I know a number of you have had this done, but anybody have it done recently? Any advice on what to do next? Not sure what to do and I'd like a new tank without 24 years of sediment.

P.S. they did replace the rear seat belts due to that recall.

Thanks

2. cruiser88

cruiser88

Media:
    Albums:
    call another one to replace it.another thing how rusty is it.i mean the frame aroung the whole gas tank area.that might create a little lazy one not want to do it.sounds otherwise there just trying to get out of the work.do some research find the tank yourself just make sure its oem.and when you get it all printed up and looking pretty flop the paperwork down on the desk and say here ya go.but if it were me i would be getting intouch with c dan and see what he can advise you in the meantime.good luck.

3. High Desert

High Desert

I don't think a dealer can refuse a recall repair. Maybe if you've done some other modifications that increase labor or risk of some other failure if the dealer goes in and wrenches around. But a stock rig that has been "recalled" for repair has to be fixed. Statute of limitaions, I dunno if those things ever time out or not..

Find another dealer give em a call or contact Cruiser Dan and ask him..

4. jb welda

jb welda

can someone summarize the requirements to qualify for this recall? i called the toyota dealer and as i recall they referred me to some phone number and i gave them my VIN but they said there was no recall on the vehicle. i just took them at their word but now im wondering...

one love
    jah bill

5. AKcruiserfreak

AKcruiserfreak

I have made no mods to the tank or anything to do with the fuel system and the frame is almost completely rust free. The tank straps and bolts are all good- I sprayed 'em with WD-40 and freed them up just so they wouldn't cry about it. Since I live in Fairbanks Alaska I really can't afford to drive the 400 miles to the next dealership, so I have to have this one do the job. I'll give Cruiser Dan a holler, but any other sugestions?

6. cruiser88

cruiser88

Media:
    Albums:
    yes there was a recall on the seat belts and the gas tanks.i think it was the only recalls on all 60s.

7. cruiser88

cruiser88

Media:
    Albums:
    yes it sounds like the best action is to contact him.:D

8. 60wag

60wag SILVER Star

Get a hold of the regional Toyota rep - the dealer should be able to get you his number. If he will authorize the work, the local dealer should do it. Usually dealers are happy to do recall stuff because they get paid for it by the manufacturer.

9. cruiser88

cruiser88

Media:
    Albums:
    yoyota normally has the best reps.just a example my father broke a axle on his new 40 many years ago and the local dealer would not touch it under warrenty.so he contacted the local rep. and told the troubles he was having with the dealer well a week later a little jap guy showed up in a 55 wagon in the snow and brought his part to him and put it on for him with a smile.now i know this would not happen these days but your recall will get honored im sure.

10. jb welda

jb welda

>>can someone summarize the requirements to qualify for this recall? i called
    >>the toyota dealer and as i recall they referred me to some phone number and
    >>i gave them my VIN but they said there was no recall on the vehicle. i just
    >>took them at their word but now im wondering...

>yes there was a recall on the seat belts and the gas tanks.i think it was the
    >only recalls on all 60s.

well thats the problem...when i gave them my VIN they said there was no recall. whats up with that do you think? i have a 85 fj60 so it should fit...maybe the recall fix has been done in the past for the previous owner (ive owned this rig for about 4 years now). dont look like the gas tank has ever been removed and it *sure* doesnt look like the seat belts, front or rear, were ever replaced.

is there somewhere on the web with exact details on the recall?

many thanks in advance

one love
    jah bill

11. cruiser88

cruiser88

Media:
    Albums:
    its possible it was allready done but they would tell you if it was.and yes tell them there was a recall and in fact they are wrong.ask to speak to the dealer himself if you had not already.(the manager owner whoever)i cant remember which site but im sure you can find it on google and just search for toyota landcruiser recalls you will find it.there are several sites that specify it.print it up.or get ahold of cdan he will take care of you

12. cruiser88

cruiser88

Media:
    Albums:
    as requirements as long as it was not done already they are have to do the work.you do live in the states correct

13. Mark W

Mark W

In a previous life, when I worked for a dealer for a bit, recall and warrenty work was not at all liked by the dealer. Labor rate was much less than regular work and they didn't make any money on the parts either.

Mark...

14. cruiser88

cruiser88

Media:
    Albums:
    thats what my father ran into.or why they found a excuse for them not to do the work.good point:D

15. Mark W

Mark W

Sounds like the dealer is flat out lying to you. I can still buy an FJ40 tank from Toyota. I can't believe that a '60 tank is not available.

The recall is something that is forced on them. It is not an optional kind of thing.

Sounds like you need to go over their head. Talk to Toyota America or such.

I know that the Anchorage dealer is still doing the gas tank replacements. At least as of a few months ago when my last customer took one in.

Mark...

16. cruiser88

cruiser88

Media:
    Albums:
    you want me to call them:D

17. jb welda

jb welda

cruiser88 thanks for the info, yeah i live in sacramento california...i will do some google things unless you want to call them for me!

:cheers:

one love
    jah bill

18. cruiser88

cruiser88

Media:
    Albums:
    try getting the info:D

19. jefferson-mo

jefferson-mo

As far as a 'statute of limitations' that's up to the manufacturer............

I'm a Ford parts guy so I'm an expert @ Ford recalls..............and right now business is so bad I'll take recalls all day..........it's like a captive audience

as far as the Toyota recalls.............on my 84 I'm not really interested for a couple of reasons

I already replaced my fuel filler neck

I'm putting a 32 gallon Bronco fuel tank in

I'm replacing the rear seatbelts with the SOR shoulder belt kits

but yeah with your VIN they CAN tell you instantly if your vehicle is qualified, if there are any open recalls or if they've already been done...........

especially in this computer age............

20. Dirtgypsy

Dirtgypsy

I called a few weeks back to check out the recall on my rig as well. Toyota America's Database does not go back that far. You need to call another dealership if the local one is giving you the run around. The local dealerships will have the info. My tank and seatbelts were replaced many moons ago in California and the dealership here in Oregon had all the info with a couple of clicks of the mouse. Don't lay down and take it on this one. It is a safety issue that needs to be addressed. Good luck and keep us posted. Feel free to e-mail me your vin# and I can check with my guys here. They are super to deal with and very knowlegable.

clint

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">