Recall nightmare, anyone else have this issue? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Okay I have seen a few threads relating to the recall for the passenger side airbag and seatbelt tensioner. Im in eastern KS and I purchased the LC (2008) from a Toyota dealer in Amarillo Tx the second week of Sept this year. The dealer told me it had an open recall but they had not fixed it yet and I thought "no big deal, Ill have it done back home". Well I got it into my local dealer on Sept 27th and they ordered the part needed and I was told they would give me a call when it came in and make another appointment to install it. I waited two weeks and never heard anything from the dealer so I called and was told Toyota was only releasing the part for each specific VIN and they have never had this much trouble getting a part from Toyota. The dealer offers to put me (actually my wife) in a rental until the part comes in so we take them up on it. Well I keep waiting for the part and call the dealer once a week and they don't have any news, they are still waiting. On Oct 23rd I get a random call from the Toyota dealer in Amarillo TX to let me know my recall part is in and they want to schedule an appointment for the install. I asked them when they ordered the part and I was told they ordered it on Oct 21st and got it in two days. I told them the story I have been waiting for a month and how I'm not driving 12 hours for a recall fix, I asked if they could ship it to my dealer in KS and I was told "no" (apparently for HAZ-MAT issues). I called my dealer and told about my conversation with the TX dealer and my local told me not to speak with them again they would get the part. I spoke with my dealer today and no news on when the part will arrive, their service manager has been trying to get the part but no luck so far. This is absolutely insane however we are keeping miles off of our vehicle but I want it back. The rental co tried to put us in KIA and I told them that wouldn't work, Toyota is paying so we ended up in a 19 Nissan Armada. I have never driven a Nissan before but it has lots of creature features, definitely not the same quality build as the LC though.

I was waiting over 2 months and didn't let them keep my car. I left 3 messages over this time and was "put on the list" twice only for the 3rd time to be told I was never on the list. Finally have an appointment this Monday. Told it is a "24 hour repair" and I will get a loaner. We'll see how it goes.

I was waiting over 2 months and didn't let them keep my car. I left 3 messages over this time and was "put on the list" twice only for the 3rd time to be told I was never on the list. Finally have an appointment this Monday. Told it is a "24 hour repair" and I will get a loaner. We'll see how it goes.

So did you call Toyota headquarters to get on the list? Im just worried this is going to take even longer because a replacement part was sent out, just ended up at the wrong dealer.

Which Toyota did you go thru?! After talking to Koons Toyota in Tysons about the recall, they had the part within a week and I was in and out in a couple hrs.

LX570 here. Lindsay Lexus of Alexandria, VA. Also called to get a quote for AHC fluid replacement and the guy had no idea what I was talking about. Said I would get a call back on that and never did. After this recall repair I won't be going there again.

LX570 here. Lindsay Lexus of Alexandria, VA. Also called to get a quote for AHC fluid replacement and the guy had no idea what I was talking about. Said I would get a call back on that and never did. After this recall repair I won't be going there again.
How crazy is it that we as customer have to inform the dealer. This isn't just Toyota, I have had lots of Jeeps and have gone round and round with dealers on BS stuff they should freaking know. When I brought the LC in on Sept 27th I had some 100k stuff, fluids changed and what not . When I got the truck back the air bag light was on, the dealer had no idea why it would be on. Later I did my own research and found out that had to do with recall, the dealer had no idea.

For some parts of the country, the land cruiser is a bit of an oddball. Unfortunately, that comes out in dealer capability, which is lacking at times. While I get your concern, I don't think its a Toyota issue but your local dealer is to blame. For this recall, it was simply a call to my local dealer, they already had my VIN on file, ordered the part (backordered at the time), 2 weeks later got a call and it was done in about 2 hours. Zero issues.

I was told "no" (apparently for HAZ-MAT issues).

WTF? I guess the parts fairy got the recall kit to Amarillo? Call Toyota Corp, get a case number assigned.

Very weird, they are a top notch shop - but, as you know, you have tons of options between delaers in NOVA and MD. If all else fails, call Sheehy in Annapolis, ask for Shae. It's a bit of a haul for you, but they are a Platinum Lexus Dealer and will get it done right, the first time.

No my dealer ordered and had mine in within a week. They called me when the part came in and scheduled an appt to come in at my convenience. I was in and out in not much longer than an hour and they gave me a desk to work at while I waited. Not a single complaint about my experience. Sorry to hear about yours it shouldn't be that difficult. I have 3 dealers within an hour of my house but I can certainly tell you not all of them are equal in their knowledge and service ability.

Last edited:
WTF? I guess the parts fairy got the recall kit to Amarillo? Call Toyota Corp, get a case number assigned.

Very weird, they are a top notch shop - but, as you know, you have tons of options between delaers in NOVA and MD. If all else fails, call Sheehy in Annapolis, ask for Shae. It's a bit of a haul for you, but they are a Platinum Lexus Dealer and will get it done right, the first time.

Ya I'm sure they have some great mechanics there, but at least their service advisors have done enough to send me somewhere else.

Went smooth for me. Took 3 days to get the part after I called to make an appointment. They didnt need the truck then and it was done in 2 hours after I dropped it off

somewhat smooth for me - called with the recall notice and they had to schedule a "fantom service appt" out into next year to actually be able to order the parts with my VIN. the said it would take about 2 weeks to get the parts. I never got a call from the dealer to say the parts were in, but I got a postcard in the mail from the parts department (hello 2019? postcard?!?)

I called with the postcard and they scheduled me in for half a day appt the following week and all got taken care of.

I think part of the issue is there are a lot of 2019 new sitting on lots with Stop-Sale which are the priority for the dealers and Toyota... and the parts are also in demand from everyone. I was told it was starting in the south where the issue was more likely to happen due to humidity and corrosion, and that the colder northern climates would be later. that seems to be about what happened time-wise from the initial notification.

I left my vehicle with Toyota of Dallas and got a rental when this first happened. I was in a rental for about 7 months. However, mileage was unlimited and we put a ton of miles on the rentals, so there's a bright spot.

We went through three or four rentals, as they kept having to get the oil changed. The rentals were everything from Nissan Armada, BMW X3 to Chevy Suburban. Then, we had a snafu on communication where the service manager texted me that the part was in but since he wasn't in my contacts and I had never received a call or text from him, I never got the message as it went to spam.

In the end I will say, it was not a good situation but Toyota corporate paid for the rentals including the missed communication delay of a few days. I believe they did their best to make a sub-optimal situation better. I can't complain about how Toyota handled it from my perspective.

My suggestion would be to contact Toyota corporate and explain the situation, they will make a incident report and probably can give you the best way forward.

Good luck.

I got the letter, phoned the Lexus dealer, dropped off the car/truck, jumped in the loaner, went home, got a phone call and went to the dealer and picked up my vacuumed and washed car/truck. No drama, no hassle. Sometimes they do it right and should get the mention.

I did my weekly call to the dealer on Friday morning to see if there was any new news, and they said unfortunately no. They were still getting the run around from Toyota. The dealer then called me back 3 hours and said the part just showed on the last truck and they would have it installed that day. Well I asked to a few other to the vehicle while they had it like replace the window seals on the doors and fix a chip in the windshield. They were short one of the seals so I get to pick it up Mon and they are covering the rental for the weekend which is nice. My wife said she is done with the Armada and wants her Cruiser back LOL

I had a great experience at Ed Martin in the Indianapolis metro area (@Eric Sarjeant). It took a few days to get the part. I dropped it off at lunch time and picked it up in the evening.

Surprisingly I am sitting in the local Lexus dealership for a regular oil change right now. Sorry I am living in an apartment. The service guy told me there is a recall and he had put that on my work order.

I thought I would like to search here to see if anyone noticed. I will post the full receipt after I get home.

Edit: The service guy told me the part has not arrived and will call me back once they got the part.

Last edited:
After moving to Bend, OR in September I called the local Toyota dealer (Kendall) and told them about my LC and the recall. They put me on the list but warned me that Toyota had a back order on this and it would take a few weeks. (Apparently they shipped a whole lot of the wrong color or something.). I hadn't heard back but when I took my LC in this week for other maintenance they picked up on the fact that they had the necessary parts in and took care of it while it was in the shop for a brake job, oil change and other stuff.

I’m taking a if it ain’t broke don’t fix it! someday they can fix mine if the passenger side light malfunctions, its working right now. I’ll get an oil change in a couple of months I’ll let them fix it at that time if they have the parts.

After moving to Bend, OR in September I called the local Toyota dealer (Kendall) and told them about my LC and the recall. They put me on the list but warned me that Toyota had a back order on this and it would take a few weeks. (Apparently they shipped a whole lot of the wrong color or something.). I hadn't heard back but when I took my LC in this week for other maintenance they picked up on the fact that they had the necessary parts in and took care of it while it was in the shop for a brake job, oil change and other stuff.

My Toyota guy just ordered the part...was there the next day...and ready to go in.

Full disclosure...
They did manage to somehow mangle the seatbelt anchor bolt during the process, causing another day’s delay for a new bolt...but no that had nothing to do with the recall & no ssues getting ahold of the recall parts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom