Recall! Harbor Freight Jack Stands (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

$46 for delivered double locking 6 tons is a good price. The pic does make it look like the base is pretty thin metal, though. How thick is it, if you know?

The steel of the base is slightly less than 1/8" thick on the Pro Lift T-6906D (lighter grey color in photos). At the neck the metal is approx 3/16" thick. On both measurments, it looks to be slightly thicker than the HF model. The Pro Lift is ~8.4 lbs for the base (this number excludes the weight of the locking pin) and 4.75 lbs for the stem. The HF model is 8lbs for the base and 4lbs for the stem. The stem on the PL contains 11 height adjustment points to the HF's 13 adjustment points. There appears to be an 2 additional 1/4" reinforcement bracket welded onto the PL's neck where the locking pin engages.

I realize this is OT to the original purpose of the thread, but I was looking to offer an alternative that I am happy with. Perhaps other people may appreciate this. I am not seeking to convey anything more than this seem to be a viable working alternative to the HF model. I offer no warranty or guarantee of the product beyond the facts conveyed here.

20200602_184208.jpg
20200602_180911.jpg
20200602_183101.jpg
20200602_181209.jpg

Last edited:
thanks for checking. Interesting. Yours does sound a bit sturdier than the HF. I'm surprised at how shallow the teeth are on the HF. That would have concerned me a bit. I recall the teeth profiles on my 12 tons as being much deeper.
As to the "Shinn Fu" company, it looks like it's from Taiwan, not a bad thing, they make good stuff in Taiwan. Although, who knows, maybe nowadays they are also outsourcing. Interestingly, besides Hein-Warner, it also owns the Pro-lift line, also mentioned above.

thanks for checking. Interesting. Yours does sound a bit sturdier than the HF. I'm surprised at how shallow the teeth are on the HF. That would have concerned me a bit. I recall the teeth profiles on my 12 tons as being much deeper.
As to the "Shinn Fu" company, it looks like it's from Taiwan, not a bad thing, they make good stuff in Taiwan. Although, who knows, maybe nowadays they are also outsourcing. Interestingly, besides Hein-Warner, it also owns the Pro-lift line, also mentioned above.

I used to keep the floor jack fully engaged even when I had the jack stands in place. The HF item is a terrible, terrible design. Thankfully I now know, I have returned them and I am unharmed.

I am glad that you were able to find another option. Unfortunately, you haven't offered any model number for the floor jacks that you bought. I was seeking to provide an option for people who need replacements for the recalled HF model to work on their Cruiser. As you said, the model I posted will work well enough. I don't work on anything bigger than my 100 so I wouldn't need something that is heavier to hold more weight.

Given that the HF jack stands are about the same price as these, I doubt it will be possible to buy new for much less. After the HF recall, my biggest requirement for purchase was a locking pin. I was willing to pay more, but many of the $200 American made jack stands still didn't offer a locking pin. As a result, I went with the above linked jacks. I would do so again if I was still looking. I have no doubt that they will safely hold my 7500lb 100 and thanks to the locking pin will never collapse.
43720DEF-B206-4340-A9E8-D920552517CF.jpeg

In front of 33x10.50 and behind 2 ton stands.

728E1813-37EC-406F-A8D6-D6B5531CB70F.jpeg

Beside my 20+ year old 2.5 ton jack.

6997B97F-4A48-4193-8BD7-C1630725C21F.jpeg

I’ve used the 2 ton for the 40 for years without problems.
For my newer rig, they’re not sufficient. It’s 9k+ empty... 6k on the rear axles & 3 over the front. Based on what the spring shop said the drivers side is 700 lbs heavier (+/- 3400 lbs).

I have a pair of 12 ton HF jack stands and they are quite beefy. The only thing they are missing is the secondary locking pin. My other pair from Torin have the locking pin. I feel pretty safe under them while wrenching on my 100 series.
AA0A54E8-4E18-4F51-9EA5-6EC7D1E67A4F.png

But it looks like Torin stopped making the 12T with locking pin but strongway now does.

as an update and thanks to this thread, I returned by "under recall" HF jack stands. Their red 6 ton jack stands are not part of the recall and I used the store gift card on the return to get these with a 20% store discount. I put my wife's SUV up on them (its an LR4 so comparable in weight to the LC) and it felt sturdy and stable. However, I am probably also going to use the rhino ramps I have under the wheels for additional safety.

UPDATE: THE REPLACEMENTS ARE F’ING BAD TOO

for anything your life depends on don’t buy harbor freight.
8DF17231-1F42-488B-9A8E-C43BE483A903.jpeg

Just bringing this back to the top. I had missed that they were taking any of their old jackstands.

I printed this out and took it in, but my local store seemed pretty knowledgeable about the whole process. Others have commented about stores not knowing the credit over cash price, though, so YMMV. I'd have the list handy.
Recall.png

From here: js-details - https://www.harborfreight.com/js-details

Mine were the 6-ton 38847 versions (Pittsburgh), so some of the oldest ones on the list. I'm not sure what versions there were before that or if those are the "original" ones?

Currently, their Inside Track Club also has the 3-ton and 6-ton jack stands on sale in all colors:
ITC Sale.png

So, if you take store credit on them and turn around and use the ITC discount, you can get a brand new pair of 3-ton or 6-ton jackstands for $10 and change (the recall refunds sales tax as well).

I took two pair of my HF jack stands I've had for ages in last night. The paint was faded; there was rust on the teeth, cradle, and bases; and two of them were missing their labels. No problem. Put them in a shopping cart, push them over there, processed the refund onto a gift card, grabbed another shopping cart, picked out two boxes of new ones, got a couple other things while I was there, and checked out using the gift card and paying the additional balance.

I've never had any issues with them, but I have to say that the new design is nicer and the locking pin and braces and feet at the bases give you some more peace of mind over the old ones. For $10 and change a pair, it seems like a no-brainer.

Now I have to swap the news ones for the ones that are currently under my project so that I can take those in and get them replaced as well.

^ I was thinking about getting those too and returning my old ones. Better welds hopefully, feet, and the added safety pin. Sounds better overall. Not that I was worried about the old 12T TBH, though. Sounds like the best way to do this is to get the store credit and buy the new 12T with a coupon.

20% off coupon this weekend, 25% if one is an ITC member. Jack stands don’t appear to be excluded! Def. gonna exchange my jacks this weekend.

EB360E2C-921C-46F5-B9AF-D4BD88B7C0BE.jpeg

does that mean that this coupon can't be used *with* a gift card (and would a gift card not be the way they give store credit for the jack stands?) and/or does that mean that you can't *buy* a gift card with the coupon (obvious)?

Last edited:
well, I went, returned the old 12 tons, and got the new ones.
they were trying to say that it'd be $120 credit until I showed them the recall notice above from PAToytota (saved me $23 - many thanks!)
Got the full store credit instead, and bought the new ones with the current 20% coupon (similar to Dogdays' above). Yea! Came out ahead!

Once again, MUD rules!

does that mean that this coupon can't be used *with* a gift card (and would a gift card not be the way they give store credit for the jack stands?) and/or does that mean that you can't *buy* a gift card with the coupon (obvious)?

The discount can't be used to purchase a gift card, but you can use the discount on an item and pay with a gift card.

For the first exchange I did, they went the route of giving me the gift card even after I said I was going to purchase replacements. So five minutes later I was at the same register handing the gift card back to them. The other two times they had me go and get the new ones and they did it all in one transaction.

recall notice above from PAToytota (saved me $23 - many thanks!)

Glad to help out!

that was great, thanks for the headsup, I might have been shorted otherwise. And, no, there was no issue at all when I used the coupon with the gift card I got for the return. That would have been weird, of course, but you never know.
So, basically, I ended up with new presumably safer stands plus some extra money (which I promptly spent on more tools, of course). So assuming these new stands are safe in the absolute, that was a win. TBH, I'm not too worried, my heaviest truck would be like a quarter of the weight ratings of those stands, and there would normally be 2 wheels on the ground, so then 1/8. And a 3 or 4 times safety factor beyond that, hopefully. Plus, I always put some backup like a wheel or cribbing under there too. I'd be more worried about the stands toppling over sideways than breaking but that can be reduced maybe with wheel chocks and not too likely. (And another reason why I use the 12 tons - for the wider base.)

I'll keep the new 12 tons in the box until needed so no review on those from me for a bit.

but the more I think / read about those safety pins on the new models, the more I think they are a great addition. Makes a lot of sense.

(just hoping that nobody died causing this recall to happen...)

TBH, I'm not too worried, my heaviest truck would be like a quarter of the weight ratings of those stands

I mostly use the 6-tons rather than the 3-tons just for the extra height and extra stability.

but the more I think / read about those safety pins on the new models, the more I think they are a great addition. Makes a lot of sense.

Of course, the issue is in actually using them. The shop I work at part time people make a joke out of "safety third" and are constantly doing questionable stuff. Using just a jack when jack stands are sitting right there is pretty common. The other week one guy dropped a Class B tandem axle fuel truck that he had the front end supported by two bottle jacks - put under the end of a single u-bolt on each side, to boot. Fortunately nobody was hurt and no damage was done. His comment - "That's never happened before." Complacency will get you...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom