Recall! Harbor Freight Jack Stands (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
F75DE8E9-409C-4404-86B7-7A34CF717D42.jpeg

This the reason why I would not buy jack stand from HF. I will spend good money on good quality JS, not worth losing my life or a limb.
Thank you for sharing.

2013 to current for those who don't click and read link.

Have to check mine, although I'm pretty sure they're all much older than 2013.

Got winner.. this really concerns me becuase a jack gave out when I was using these before. Hope no one gets injured from this BS. Lesson learned.

20200519_180717(0).jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the PSA-just checked and I have a set of these. Seems they're trying to kill us anyway they can.

Get the 12ton ones if available. They are taller on their lowest setting, therefore safer to use since you won't have to lift them up (depending on the ride height of your truck).

I would be curious to know what the exact problem is. Anybody can tell from inspection?

I haven't inspected mine yet - I can look this weekend. In an article on CNN.com I think they blamed it on worn tooling in China. Entirely believable but should have been stated "Sh!tty Chinese tooling manufactured at the lowest possible cost by people who have no clue how the end product is actually used." I've been to a lot of tool shops in China and what I saw was universally sketchy. Like Rockwell hardness varying 15 points across the same block of steel.

the basic idea behind those teeth would be -I assume- that the geometry of the pawl increases the locking under load. Is there a problem with that on those sketchy stands?

Maybe I am paranoid about safety, but it is what it is.

I once needed to have a little more height than the minimum height offered by my 6ton stands and instead of lifting it up as it's supposed to be done, I simply put a block of 4" wood under the stand in order to keep it at it's minimum height setting.
That was before this new recall was even a thing.

I guess mine are post recall.

tmp-cam-7387054407869255644.jpg

tmp-cam-436618127208943164.jpg

I might take a file to those teeth in any event.

$52 for the 12 tons is a good price. Besides sturdiness, one of the advantages of those that I like is the wider base and therefore better stability over the little guys.
My 12 tons are probably a good 10 years old, maybe 15. So hopefully, those were built with reasonably new tooling still... Somehow I don't think they change the tooling every week out there... :)
And given the propensity of chinese factories to churn generic stuff to be rebranded, I wonder if other brands have the same issues potentially...

I haven't inspected mine yet - I can look this weekend. In an article on CNN.com I think they blamed it on worn tooling in China. Entirely believable but should have been stated "Sh!tty Chinese tooling manufactured at the lowest possible cost by people who have no clue how the end product is actually used." I've been to a lot of tool shops in China and what I saw was universally sketchy. Like Rockwell hardness varying 15 points across the same block of steel.

I'll fix this.
's***ty Chinese tooling manufactured at the lowest possible cost paying workers the lowest possible wage using the lowest quality materials.'
This cheap throwaway Chinese s*** is ****ed. The whole world needs to wake up and stop buying this junk and go back to manufacturing quality stuff that lasts. Something like Jack stands used to be made and they would last a life time. Now they are designed to throw in the bin and buy a new set a few years later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom