Rebuilt P/S Gearbox - Leaking at the top (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I rebuilt my gearbox earlier this year, and just now finishing the bigger project to get the 60 back on the road.

Now that I have filled it with oil and have started the bleeding process and turned the crank over a few times it is starting to leak at the top (as shown below). This is without the the engine even starting yet.

I used a Gates reseal kit 349480. I'm now looking at the FSM and it shows what looks like a paper gasket at the top. I definitely did not put one in there as the reseal kit didn't supply one, but honestly can't remember if I removed an old one while disassembling. I then looked at the Toyota parts catalog and it shows an o-ring at the top, not a gasket. Again, I can't remember, but if the Gates kit supplied this top o-ring then I would have used it.

It's leaking between the top and body, not the adjuster nut.

What should be there?

PS-FSM.png
PS-parts ctlg.png
IMG_6163.jpg

Last edited:
I had mine rebuilt in TX and has been running for about 1 year now with the Saginaw conversion. It has recently started a very small leak in the same area as yours. It is not enough to even leave a drip, but there is a wet line in that same corner. I'm running 33 x 12.5 tires. For what its worth....

An O-ring goes under the top cap. All USA FJ60s got power steering. The FSM shows diagrams for both a manual steering gearbox (non USA, which uses a gasket under the top cap) and the power steering gearbox (which uses the O-ring). Easy enough to get confused.

Here's the Toyota part number for the O-ring:

image.jpeg

image.png

An O-ring goes under the top cap. All USA FJ60s got power steering. The FSM shows diagrams for both a manual steering gearbox (non USA, which uses a gasket under the top cap) and the power steering gearbox (which uses the O-ring). Easy enough to get confused.

Here's the Toyota part number for the O-ring:

Thanks for the info. I picked up two OEM o-rings just in case. I pulled the cover off and the ring that's on there (that I just replaced) looks to be in good shape. This ring goes into the crevice a little lower than the top correct, and not another one higher at the base of the underside?

I'm worried that if I just replace that 1 o-ring that it won't change anything.

Hoping I might get some feedback today to get this thing put back together.

I followed the FSM when I first rebuilt it and it calls for 83 ft-lbs torque on the cover bolts. But it shows a 3-bolt cover and also mentions applying liquid sealer to the (paper?) gasket, which obviously don't apply to this gearbox. Is it possible the bolts were overtightened? Definitely don't need liquid gasket, right?

Also, the ring is to prevent oil from rising above it, but the sidewall of the cylinder is gashed (assuming from the factory) and it makes sense that the o-ring would not create a seal over the gash. Thoughts?

83 ft'lbs!? That would be at least a M12, more like M14 fastener.
Pics of the 'gash'? Youre' saying there is a notch in the cylindrical opening?
Agreed. When I originally assembled it it was probably a later sleepless night and didn’t catch that. But now when reviewing it seems wayyy to high.
here are pics of the gash. Is this not supposed to be there? I don’t know what would have caused it.
6B85F817-0C10-479D-A5EA-1C43E7B46EC0.jpeg
D8497EC0-099E-4CF0-BD26-8DD1FD54917D.jpeg

What does the top cap look like? Can you post a picture of the surface that lines up with this gash?

Guessing the gouge was made by the gear tooth on the pitman shaft caressing the housing on the way in or out.

You need to post the production date of your frame to be sure to get the correct steering box. There is a change in mounting bolt pattern in the middle of FJ60 production.

Last edited:
Guessing the gouge was made by the gear tooth on the pitman shaft caressing the housing in the way in or out.

You need to post the production date of your frame to be sure to get the correct steering box. There is a change in mounting bolt pattern in the middle of FJ60 production.
Good to know. I'll also double check the pitman arm teeth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom