Rebuilt or Used A440F on FJ62? (2 Viewers)

Rebuild existing transmission or used operable transmission?

• Rebuild Existing Transmission & Transfer Case

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Used Transmission & Transfer Case

Votes: 2 66.7%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm trying to decide between rebuilding my FJ62 automatic transmission (A440F) and transfer case or putting a used (160k mile) A440F automatic transmission and transfer case in my FJ62.

My rebuild is having issues with the transmission output shaft. In looking for one, a well known cruiser restoration company and cruiser guru offered me a used transmission and transfer case that drove really well (no noticeable issues over the 5 mile test drive) prior to being pulled for an engine swap. It's not been opened/dismantled and is still transmission and transfer case in tact and has been tagged and sitting on the shelf for the past 6 months.

I'm torn between the two options. There are pros and cons between the two options but I've heard rebuilding the A440F is not easy and not always reliable.

I know everyone has different opinions but I thought it would be a good poll discussion for the forum! I am sure some will say, change transmissions, upgrade, etc. That's not an option I'm interested in. I'm trying to keep my FJ relatively original and like the automatic transmission.

Assuming the cost is the same, which would you rather?

Feel free to ask questions for clarity and thanks for providing some feedback!

brand new transmissions are available from Toyota

if going with your 2 options, cost being the same, rebuild would be the choice, but I don't see where a good used unit will be anywhere near the same price as a rebuilt unit.

If I were in your position I’d take the swap as rebuilds have a less than stellar success rate.
You’ll like get another 60k out of the used one since most issues show up around 225k
Keep the rebuild parts and the old unit on hand as it will eventually die and you can cobble together the best of both units.

Now for the answer you don’t want. I too wanted to keep mine stock but I am planning on using the rig as my primary driver when I retire in 10 years. I just didnt have confidence in the long term reliability of an A440F so I threw an H55 in. It’s no longer stock but it is near bullet proof.

New tranny and new T-case is the route im tkn....wayyyyy too many positive experiences with H55s for me not to go thar route $5700 assembled (pre install) included everything needed to go Brand new...seemed like a no brainer.

New tranny and new T-case is the route im tkn....wayyyyy too many positive experiences with H55s for me not to go thar route $5700 assembled (pre install) included everything needed to go Brand new...seemed like a no brainer.

OP isn’t talking about an H55F. He’s talking about the A440F transmission.

Ya..i get that. Why eat tuna when ya can have lobstah tho?

He can have my A44OF and many others for virtually free...thats how desirable they are....

I would swap in the used transmission and also buy the rebuild kit if you can afford it. Who knows how much longer they'll be available?

@EscapeWagon62 You’ll like get another 60k out of the used one since most issues show up around 225k

Shhhh....don't tell that to my transmission. 259K and counting - shifts just fine. I'd do the used transmission here.

@EscapeWagon62 You’ll like get another 60k out of the used one since most issues show up around 225k

Shhhh....don't tell that to my transmission. 259K and counting - shifts just fine. I'd do the used transmission here.

Same, but way more than 259.

OP, if you don't buy that used trans, send me a link 😆

Brand new A440F trans? Really, Paul?

someone posted up last year with the part #, the A440F was still available, $4400?

@Onur are they not available?

They are definitely not available and haven’t been available for close to 15 years or more.

I stand corrected.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom