Rebuilt Carb - First start attempt is a no-go (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just finished rebuilding my head, and the carb. I replaced the fuel filter with a new oem unit too.

I also removed the fuel pump while cleaning the block. That's everything fuel related that I touched.

It seems like there is no fuel getting to the filter so I just put about 2 gallons in, and still nothing.

Thoughts on next steps?

If the filter is dry, then your pump is not sucking (probably). You put the spacer on ? Lines on correctly?

New spacer is on, and lines are correct (I think. Double checking now). Is there a chance it's installed incorrectly?

Do you see fuel in the sight window? If not... Prime the carb. Don’t step on clutch and turn the key so the starter revs and gas is moved forward. Do it about 5-8 times. Checking after a few times to see if gas is in the window.

Lines are correct. And no fuel in the window after quite a few crank attempts with choke, no choke, gas pedal pumped.

Pump only goes on one-way unless you installed it upside down. You could try putting the fuel suction line that comes off the filter (toward the tank), into a jar of Gas and see if it's sucking. If the pump is original, I suppose it's possible it has failed after being jostled?

In the FSM there are some methods for testing the fuel pump.

I tried the jar method pulling off the filter line on the pump side. It did not suck, but did release a junk of air with every turn of the crank.

I have not tried swapping the lines on the pump as the filter line is clearly connected to the "inlet" port on the pump. But I might try that depending on the thoughts on the gargle, and before pulling the pump altogether

did you follow the procedure in the manual to confirm the pump is working properly. The first instruction under "precheck" is to wet the pump with gasoline so the check valves will seal properly.

When you say it released air with every turn of the crank, were these bubbles back into your jar of gasoline? That could indicate the pump is not hooked up correctly or the check valves are not sealing.

1606752280660.png

That is correct. It released an air bubble back into the jar of gas with each crank. I can try swapping the lines on the pump, but that really wouldn't make sense to me.
After that, I'll pull the pump and test it's functioning properly per the FSM

I tried swapping the lines and no such luck. So I pulled the pump, and based on the inspection check, the lever has the same amount of tight play across all tests except for blocking off the vent hole which makes it only a little tighter with less play. There certainly isn't any "locking" of the lever with the holes covered.

I've ordered a new pump which I am hoping to have today or tomorrow. I'll follow up once I have it and it's on.

I tried swapping the lines and no such luck. So I pulled the pump, and based on the inspection check, the lever has the same amount of tight play across all tests except for blocking off the vent hole which makes it only a little tighter with less play. There certainly isn't any "locking" of the lever with the holes covered.

I've ordered a new pump which I am hoping to have today or tomorrow. I'll follow up once I have it and it's on.
Kyosan pump?

Ok. Update: New OEM pump is in and we have fuel in the filter and in the carb window. I've made a few attempts to get it to start cranking 3-5 revs each time but no start. I have not pulled the choke, but did try a couple pumps of the gas pedal.
I am getting a sporadic noise while cranking that I can only describe as a loud electrical pop? The first time it smelled like electrical burn, and then after hearing it a couple more times it started smelling like burnt fuel?
I then stopped attempting.
I had the entire engine disassembled (except for the block/pistons/crank/rods), including rebuilding of the head, carb etc.
What could that noise be, what could the smell be and what should I look for next?

Thanks

If you have fuel in the float bowl and you can see the fuel squirts into the carburetor throat when you operate the accelerator linkage, then you have fuel available. You also need oxygen and spark to make the engine run. So you should check your ignition circuit: is the distributor installed correctly, are the spark plug and coil wires installed correctly and in good condition, pull a plug, ground the electrode and see if you get a spark. basic stuff like that.

Good morning, and happy Saturday fellow mudders.

I have confirmed that fuel is squirting into the carb when pressing the throttle.

I have removed the distributor, found TDC on compression, reinstalled it properly according to the FSM and reinstalled 2 year old plugs, wires, etc.

I have confirmed the spark plug on cyl #1 is getting a spark (figured if one was getting it, can't see a reason the rest aren't)

But still no start. I'm stumped.

Make sure you're getting spark.

Take one of the spark plug wires off and put an old spark plug in it and lay the plug on a metal part that has good ground, or use a jumper wire to ground the spark plug. Have someone try and start the truck and watch the exposed spark plug to see that there is indeed sparking.

(also, you sure everything to the coil/distributor is hooked up correctly? The Igniter need GOOD ground to function).

Harbor Freight makes a cheap Spark Checker tool thing if you're close to a HF

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom