Rebuilding Knuckles: Anything else while I'm down there? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Looking great @Hojack ! Which moly did you end up using?

I’ve heard the valvoline is good.

This is on my 2019 list of to dos. I have all the parts, but keep holding back on pulling the trigger. Was anxious about not using the SST for centering, but feedback on forum says to just count the shims on top and bottom. That assumes the previous owner knew what they were doing.

4FAA50AC-10B8-4025-AEC2-92C63F8F2A04.jpeg

Exactly!! Very nice and well done.

I over thought this job for like three months before I actually went and did it. It was surprisingly easy, unsurprisingly messy, and surprisingly fun.

Consider new rotors and wheel studs. Now‘s the time to replace them if you’re going to replace the rotor. You’ll need a shop press or a friend with one to press new studs in easily.

The @OTRAMM videos are phenomenal.

@bottombracket not only are the @OTRAMM videos' awesome, but he has a weekly shop chat ( I think on Tuesdays) on Youtube where you can ask questions and get answers in real-time.

I'll tune every few weeks when I have a spare moment. You learn a lot not just from Ryan, but from other Cruisers who inevitably have faced similar issues as you have or issues that you WILL have coming up as you dive into fixing up your rig.

Can this job be accomplished one side at a time, while driving the vehicle between the rebuilds for the first and second side?
Personally I say no... but I’m no expert. I did mine one at a time. Truck should be done completely before driving.

Personally I say no... but I’m no expert. I did mine one at a time. Truck should be done completely before driving.

When I do mine, I'm going to work one side at a time. I have to give myself extra time for anything that doesn't go according to plan. I fully expect it to take more time than I usually have in a weekend to get it done. What issues might come up if I drive it between the rebuild on each side?

You will be fine. There is no real reason you can't do one side at a time. I wouldn't even refill the gear oil, just make sure not to put it in 4wd.

When I do mine, I'm going to work one side at a time. I have to give myself extra time for anything that doesn't go according to plan. I fully expect it to take more time than I usually have in a weekend to get it done. What issues might come up if I drive it between the rebuild on each side?
How’s much driving are you talking between? Just seems unwise... if something is off, overly worn, who knows, you’d cause wear to the fresh side from the unfresh.

Likely no more than 75-100 miles between sides.
As I said, I’m by no mean an ‘expert’ and I am being told otherwise. Do one and roll.

No problem with doing one side at a time and driving in between doing the two sides. A good reason to do both at once is that you'll have all the tools out to move to the other side plus you'll have to go through the messy clean up twice.

When you remove the birf/axle gear oil will come out if the housing is level. I suppose if you jack up one side so the gear oil doesn't leak, then it would be possible to do one side (without topping off the diff gear oil), then the other at another time, but with all the prep, you're probably adding considerable time to the project.

You'll be better served to block a couple of days so you can properly clean and paint both sides at the same time.

When you remove the birf/axle gear oil will come out if the housing is level. I suppose if you jack up one side so the gear oil doesn't leak, then it would be possible to do one side (without topping off the diff gear oil), then the other at another time, but with all the prep, you're probably adding considerable time to the project.

You'll be better served to block a couple of days so you can properly clean and paint both sides at the same time.
After you bring this up, I'm inclined to wait until I can do both sides w/o putting it back on the road in-between. I'll wait until I can take a long weekend!

I'm psyching myself out to under take the knuckle rebuild. I have the kit from knuckle rebuild kit from Cruiser Outfitters, rotors & pads. As far as wheels studs and birfs, are there signs that I should look for that would signify I would need to replace them?
Are the wheels studs non-reusable? The history on the 60 was it was a family rig with 170k on it with at most some light fire road use. Im no expert by any means, I was just assuming the birfields would be fine. WDYT

I'm psyching myself out to under take the knuckle rebuild. I have the kit from knuckle rebuild kit from Cruiser Outfitters, rotors & pads. As far as wheels studs and birfs, are there signs that I should look for that would signify I would need to replace them?
Are the wheels studs non-reusable? The history on the 60 was it was a family rig with 170k on it with at most some light fire road use. Im no expert by any means, I was just assuming the birfields would be fine. WDYT
It’s not your DD right? I’ve got a bag of studs leftover from a kind mud person. Tho mine all appeared fine so I left them. I also did not pull apart my birfields either, just squeezed out as much old grease and packed w/ new. Did you also buy new calipers? No sense swapping rotors and pads w/o calipers.
Just get in there and do it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom