Rebuilding FJ55 Manual Steering Box (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The PO RTV'd the crap out of mine and it gave up the ghost while I was trying to take the kids to the beach. That was the premature start to putting in power steering.

I seriously see no reason why the box would not function just fine with a load of grease in it. Like you @Megadoomer PS thoughts would be silly and premature at this point, but I have all the leaks contained and I sure would like to eliminate this last one.

I have a spare box on my parts pig.....its a 73. I could rebuild it while I tested the heavy grease theory.

You could use something like Scrapdaddy used in his window gear box “Cenex NLGI 0 corn head grease” or any NLGI 0 grease that’s available in your local area like “lubriplate sfl 0 grease” or even the “Skil 8 oz. Tube Worm Drive Saw Oil-80111” that they sell at the Home Depot. Any of these would be a good semi-permanent solution for a leaky gearbox.

IMHO standard wheel bearing grease is too thick and will cake causing issues with the bushings and seals if used long term.

Curious how this works out, my box is weepy too....man it sucks to look at

Did this come with bearings and all seals?

As far as I remember, there were no bearings, just a brass bushing, a couple of seals, and gasket. I also ordered a pack of shims, but didn't use them. It may not have been a kit. I looked on SOR yesterday, everything was listed individually. Some parts appear to be NLA.

Skil 8 oz. Tube Worm Drive Saw Oil-80111

$21 Amazon for 4 8oz tubes.

That's worth a try.

If there a place to drain it or just displace the fluid as I squeeze the grease in?

This stuff was no thicker than the Lucas I put in there.

I pumped it full of Red Gear lube. Will advise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom