Rebuilding a F engine mechanical fuel pump (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

red66toy

Supporting Vendor
Threads
Hey everyone! Happy New Year. I just made a video on how to rebuild a mechanical fuel pump for the F and 2F engine. Not a hard job at all! :) Rebuilding the old worn out pumps is truly rewarding as most of the pump can be reused, just replace the old rubber parts and you are good to go. You can replace the valves but as indicated in the video, only earlier pumps have replaceable units. My hypothesis as to why Toyota moved away from having replaceable valves is the fact that they likely are never the culprit in a failed pump. But, that is just my hypothesis. We will be bringing in some rebuild kits from Japan soon in case anyone cant locate one. I think Toyota discontinued most of the rebuild kits and the only option is total pump replacement. Cheers all! Being a part of this community and giving back to it since I bought my first cruiser 22 years ago has been such a fun experience. :cheers:

This would be great if parts worked on really early "hand prime" models with the wire loop, hopefully I still have one around for my 63' FJ45.. Had to change in the 80's?

This would be great if parts worked on really early "hand prime" models with the wire loop, hopefully I still have one around for my 63' FJ45.. Had to change in the 80's?
I’m with you! I was excited to track down a kit that worked on the early hand prime pumps. For the most part the pump internals didn’t really change from the hand prime versions to the late 70s! Same diaphragms and springs.

Early 60s fuel pump on the left and a 1976 pump on the right. :)
IMG_5291.jpg

Do you know the cut-off date for the early pumps that have the replaceable valves? I have a spare fuel pump from a '69 FJ55 that I'd like to try a rebuild on. A few years ago I bought a set of four NOS fuel pump valves. Maybe my pump is old enough that I can use them.

Do you know the cut-off date for the early pumps that have the replaceable valves? I have a spare fuel pump from a '69 FJ55 that I'd like to try a rebuild on. A few years ago I bought a set of four NOS fuel pump valves. Maybe my pump is old enough that I can use them.
I think somewhere around 1973, this is just based on looking at the parts diagrams. I bet @65swb45 would know exactly. :)

Where did you find kits? This was discussed elsewhere on the board, seemed the kits were non-existent. I kept an old pump around just for this reason, hate to toss them when all they need is a new piece of rubber.

On the other hand, I've got an FJ60 sitting at 249,000 miles with the original pump on it. Guess Toyota nailed the newer non-rebuildable pumps. Now that one will probably fail tomorrow since I touted its amazingly long life.

I'd like to have a couple rebuild kits on the shelf for F engine pumps.

Where did you find kits? This was discussed elsewhere on the board, seemed the kits were non-existent. I kept an old pump around just for this reason, hate to toss them when all they need is a new piece of rubber.

On the other hand, I've got an FJ60 sitting at 249,000 miles with the original pump on it. Guess Toyota nailed the newer non-rebuildable pumps. Now that one will probably fail tomorrow since I touted its amazingly long life.
Hey careful with that jinx stuff! :D Yeah the later 2F pumps were definitely a very different design! Especially with the fuel return port.
The company we sourced them from only sent us these two sample kits, they are a larger volume seller/manufacturer in Japan. We wanted to tests the kits first before we ordered in "bulk".
The original rebuild kits are NLA :( . There are some aftermarket sources in AUS I believe.

Oh and one last thing I forgot to mention in the video, Make sure to line up the middle rib under the top cap with the middle rib that separates the two valve chambers. Lining them up helps seal the two chambers from one another and prevents cross flow.

IMG_5282.jpeg

Hey all, Thanks for the interest! They are still in Japan but hopefully on their way soon. I’ll post in the classifieds when the kits are here in the US.

If anyone has a 73 pump or 74, it would be cool to see exactly when the valves went from being replaceable to stamped in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom