Rebuilding a Carb Fan (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So it looks like i either need to get a new carb fan or rebuild mine. When my carb fan comes on for the first time it squeals like a pig, but then goes away....it was kinda embarassing when i parked in front of the sushi restaurant.

How easy is it to rebuild this bad boy?

Doesn't need 'rebuild'

May be lucky & just need some lube,
or you may find leaf/trash in housing.

Remove wire at harness connector.
Remove fan assembly.
Open blower housing, you'll see squirrel cage.
Remove cage, see motor shaft sticking out of housing.
Use 3-in-1 or some other light oil - NOT WD-40...where shaft enters motor housing.
Rotate by hand a few times
. . .few more drips of lube
. . . . .reassemble
l . . . . . .ive happily everafter

Last edited:
soggy60 said:
Doesn't need 'rebuild'

May be lucky & just need some lube.

Remove wire at harness connector.
Remove fan assembly.
Open blower housing, you'll see squirrel cage.
Remove cage, see motor shaft sticking out of housing.
Use 3-in-1 or some other light oil - NOT WD-40...where shaft enters motor housing.
Rotate by had a few times
few more drips of lube
reassemble
live happily everafter
sweet..thanks

i just took it completly apart and cleaned the entire thing and lubed it up. Plan on driving it around enough so it kicks in.....i pray it doesnt sound like a little pig anymore...
scared the poor Karate kids yesterday...

i just took the rig for a drive....while turning off the key i was anticipating worst...

Then i didnt hear anything and i thought to myself - fawking great, i ruined it. Nope!!! the fan is so quiet you cant hear it...FAWK YEAH...i am not uswless after all:)

Fixing that fan and hearing (or feeling) the whosh of air passing through the fins is a great feeling. What seemed to be your problem? Trash or just in need of a lube?

jhstatts said:
Fixing that fan and hearing (or feeling) the whosh of air passing through the fins is a great feeling. What seemed to be your problem? Trash or just in need of a lube?
I think it was a combo of both. I took the motor out of the shell and lubed the spindle and then cleaned the crap out from where the magnets are. I didnt have any 3-in-1 so i used gear oil....anyhoo - it is amazing what 30 mins of work can acomplish..

Nick the Carpenter said:
why do you need a fan on the carby???
you need it to cool the Carb. If you dont you can get fuel evaporation. I didnt have my fan plugged in and when i tried starting it after driving it for a while, I would have to pump the gas as if were the winter. Now that my fan runs sweetly (lol) i dont even have to give it any gas and it starts right up....

a p.s. note- the fan motor on the carb cooler is same motor used for 'dash board A/C' and rear facing (under pass. seat) heater....and, I "think", for bushings/brushes: the windshield (and headlight) washer pump motor....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom