rebuilding a 2H for a HJ47 troopie (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does anyone out there know what it would cost to get a 2H rebuilt, and who can do this? Or, how much does a rebuild kit for a 2H cost and where to get the parts? I would like to put a H55 behind it and add a turbo. Would my money be better spent if I just yanked out the 2H and installed a later model turbo diesel with 5 speed all together?

Does anyone out there know what it would cost to get a 2H rebuilt, and who can do this? Or, how much does a rebuild kit for a 2H cost and where to get the parts? I would like to put a H55 behind it and add a turbo. Would my money be better spent if I just yanked out the 2H and installed a later model turbo diesel with 5 speed all together?

the rough price for a diesel rebuild is $1000 per hole.

yes, going with a newer 1HZ /HDT makes much more sense.

Thanks for the reply Crushers. Which of these engines would be the best choice in your opinion and where can I get the whole package? It looks like the HDT series will give more power. Will it bolt up to the same engine mounts? I plan on doing a ground-up restoration anyway so I may as well upgrade the engine/trany.

Last edited:
where are you located? i have a 1HZT installed into a FJ40 sitting in the yard and available for viewing of the install.

both are straight forward installs, personal preference: i do not like the HDT with the manual, if you are going auto then the HDT is a sweet ass combo.
the engien mounts are custom, the tranny mount is custom, you have the vacumm shift t/case so that works easy. the rad is the same as a gasser and needs to be relocated over a bit. the big issue is the steering box but thanks to a close buddy that was overcome in an easy and clean way.

i can do the install with turbo in just under 60 hours.

try G&Scruiserparts.com or Japan 4X4 (but the waiting list grows each day).

the HZT is the one i love with the H55F. that 40 rockets and returned confirmed 26.7 mpg CND pulling 3000 lbs from Calgary to Ontario over 3700 km at 55 mph. it is quiet, powerful, reliable and great on fuel. with out the trailer it is just too much fun to drive.

i hope to do a write up if i can find my pics in the next couple weeks.

I am near Astoria, Oregon. Why the HZT over the 1HDT? Does it have to do with the 5 speed? I just want the best turbo diesel and 5 speed combo possible in the troopie, money is not an issue. Did you make your own mounts or can you buy them? How did you do your power steering?
Lloyd

ditto. i'd love to see some pics and more info about that setup wayne! :beer:

if money is not an issue then give me a call and we can chat...

why i like the HZT over the HDT?
like i said personal preference mostly...

i do not like the H151 tranny that comes behind the HDT
i do not like the sensitive throttle of the manual coupled to the direct injected HDT.
i have had excellent experience with the HZ
i love tweaking the turbo applications on the HZ
and the non-direct injected diesels get better fuel milage than the direct injected ones (even though there are some on this forum that have limited or no personal experience with these engines disagree with this statement)
i LOVE the H55F

but it is all personal preference and (see sig line)

Wayne, I'd like to talk with you on the phone. Please PM me your number.
Lloyd

I like the DI engines .. just like the 1HD-T .. and yes prefeer the H150 over the H151 but the H151 come with the 300 mm clutch and the H150 with the 275mm clutch .. maybe it dosen't make any diference ..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom