Rebuilding a 22R (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've had my 86's 22R sitting, cleaned on an engine stand in my garage for years now. I think I want to rebuild it and possibly put it in something cool like a gutted LR Defender (full Toyota drive train), maybe cram it into a Samurai, or build a COE van.

First step though is picking parts. I want to stay pretty close to stock, but if there are some obvious places to increase power slightly without reducing reliability/longevity, I'm all for it.

The block needs a new head. The old one warped before I pulled the engine and it had nearly 300k miles on it, so the valves are thrashed. I was thinking about going with the "Stock" head from EngnBldr here.

I was thinking about the Master Build Kit here, but when I had the block honed, the machinist said it would probably be good to bore the engine out and put new liners in because the current liners are pretty thin (how much would that cost anyway?). With that in mind, would that kit not work because it lacks overbore sizes like the LCE kits have? (an example of an LCE kit here. Don't know if that has steel TC guides, their economy kit has plastic).

The engine was originally a 22R, so I will need a new EFI intake manifold+ECU+all that stuff, no idea where to source that.

Any build threads to look at?

So, what do you guys think? I feel like I might be in a bit over my head but... I think I can manage it.

A couple pictures as she sits:

One

Two

Btw, one of the head bolts was stuck and had to be drilled out and the hole tapped.

engnbldr definitely sells over-bored pistons & rings, I had my block bored 0.030 over and installed his pistons and rings.

How much larger are the cylinders than stock size? I believe the limit you can go is 0.040.

Seems like the only thing you're gonna be able to salvage from your engine is the block and crank. Then you gotta go find all the EFI stuff. If it were me, I'd go find a wrecked Tacoma and start with the 2RZ or 3RZ. The 22R series is a great engine, but it's been out of production for almost 20 years now.

You raise a good point, but it isn't a project out of necessity. I don't need to build the 22R to put into a project vehicle at this point, but I love the engine and I think it will be a good, fun project for me :)

I did a rebuild with all engnbldr stuff and the upgraded head/cam. Couldn't be happier with the outcome, just hit black trails at rausch creek with stock gearing and a locker in the rear. She had enough grunt to climb over everything and runs amazing. The guy over at engnbldr answered any questions I had no matter how trivial.

Hm... Why would I not want to make it a 22RET?

Because you don't like spending lots of money for little benefit?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom