Rebuilding '85 4runner suspension (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm looking at rebuilding the suspension on my '85 4runner and am wondering if anyone has used OME or Trailmaster add a leafs front and rear on stock springs. Has anyone tried this on the front springs? I've seen some write ups on the rear springs.

PO also put 2 inch blocks on the rear and disconnected the parking brake due to the block being in the way. Is there a mod to keep the brake with the blocks or do they have to go?

I do have some grooves worn into the leaves on the rear springs from each individual spring. Wondering about modding the spring to have a spring pad on each end of the spring.

Any thought on rubber v. poly bushings on a stock rebuild and shock choice? Thanks.

Are you trying to keep this stock height? The lift blocks could have accelerated the rear springs demise... They are not a good idea.... When it comes to springs most people say do it once and do it right... I would suggest new sets of either Alcan or OME...

I've been toying around with both ideas, but since I drive so much in it and it's the only thing I have that gets halfway decent mpg, I think I'm going to just rebuild it at this point.

The PO just put blocks in the rear prior to my purchase. I've never been a fan of them and I can't believe an auto repair shop would have done that and disconnected the parking brake.

I've been toying around with both ideas, but since I drive so much in it and it's the only thing I have that gets halfway decent mpg, I think I'm going to just rebuild it at this point.

I don't understand. Wanting to daily drive it seems to me to be a good reason to put a good suspension system under it as a direct bolt-in swap. I'm not sure how you rebuild a set of sprung springs. You can add an add-a-leaf but that will only help so much with a worn-out spring pack.

When it comes to springs most people say do it once and do it right... I would suggest new sets of either Alcan or OME...

What he said. This is the only real solution. Otherwise you are putting band-aids on top of band-aids.

I had an '82 once that I put poly bushings in with good hydro shocks and it made a big difference. Pretty much what I was thinking of doing here. Although down the road OME's sound nice with some larger than stock tires and new gears. But to keep MPG up stock height and tire size fit the bill.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom