Rebuilding 2UZFE Series 100 Landcruiser Motor (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey Guys,

I have a 1999 Landcruiser with 250k miles. Pulled the motor myself, and is currently at a machine shop being rebuilt. (Engine blew from being overheated due to a failed coolant T in the desert).

2 questions:

1) Any non-obvious recommendations about replacing parts while I have it apart? I am thinking about replacing the alternator and starter (even though they were replaced in the last 50k miles). Also, will replace the oil pump, water pump, thermostat.

2) Any place I can by OEM parts online? Are OEM starters and alternators worth the extra money (vs ordering on rockauto.com or Autozone? I got over 150k miles on the factory starter, but only got 50k miles on the starter from Autozone. Considering that it is a huge pain to change the starter, wondering if I should buy OEM.

Thanks in advance!

I'd buy a low mileage used one. Rebuilds are never as good as oem unfortunately. Probably cheaper too.

Talk to Beno here on Mud, he is an OEM parts retailer. He'll get you everything you need

man.... no way i'd rebuild one of these engines... you can buy a documented low mile 4.7 for less than $1k all day long (usually less) due to the mass numbers of these engines out there + the fact they last forever there is very low demand = cheap I'd swap an engine before I'd even replace head gaskets.. I've done a couple and this is one of the easiest engine changes

Either go OEM for the alternator/starter or high quality BRAND NEW aftermarket brand.
All of the rebuilts are cheap junk that will not last and are not worth their weight in dog s***.

Interesting feedback on rebuilts....I've done many head gaskets over the last 10 years on 2UZ motor and never had any issues. HG are common north of the 49 parallel when using block heaters in the cold weather. Never due to overheating but rather because they were leaking down the side of the block. Drivers side only, usually.

I agree with ponytl on this one 100%. Just easier to swap it out. However if you did want to rebuild check out www.lceperformance.com they do have 2uz rebuild kits (just under 1k for the kit) and do offer oversized pistons as well. I think it would be interesting and fun (not cost effective whatsoever though) to build one of these engines up. whatever you do take pictures. I would like to see the failed internals of severe overheating on a 2uz.
How long did it run hot for? What exactly happened that you know the engine is toast? (Ex rod knock, piston damage)

I'd take ponytl's advice, even if you already owe the machinist money.

Plenty of LC 4.7s? I know there are plenty of Tundra/sequoia motors but it's not the same thing. Not sure they are a plug and play swap with the non LC version.

IDK about straight swap, but the tundra/sequoia engine is what will be going in mine if it ever goes out. Way more power.

Plenty of LC 4.7s? I know there are plenty of Tundra/sequoia motors but it's not the same thing. Not sure they are a plug and play swap with the non LC version.

you have to use the LC oil pan. oil filter housing/mount,and depending on the year the throttle body.... other than that they are all the same....

i've only done a few one engine from a 4runner one from a tundra
;

Yeah I'd use a lower mileage used engine all day long. They are readily available and cheap and like ponyytl says they are same after swapping over a few items.

Resurrecting this thread. If you swapped in the sequoia motor you would have to do trans/ecu as well, correct?

Resurrecting this thread. If you swapped in the sequoia motor you would have to do trans/ecu as well, correct?
According to @ponytl you do not. You do have to use your throttle body, oil pans, engine mounts, exhaust manifolds, and oil filter adapter.

See 1998 Lexus lx470 bad engine , what years fit it ? - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/1998-lexus-lx470-bad-engine-what-years-fit-it.906376/post-10168625

I am about to swap in a Tundra motor into a 1998 LX 470. Here is the thread. I'll try to post helpful info, but I am on a deadline with this one because the College Boy heads back to school in two weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom