Rebuild, used or factory remanned A343f? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Nah, just the swap a gallon, run a few miles, swap a gallon, run a few miles, repeat. I figure 4-5 gallons should do it.

Yowza! Got the quote back from the above transmission shop, $2800 for the rebuild and $500 for a matching torque converter. The remanned a343fs are just under $2000 from the online parts sellers.

Still have the shudder/slipping but didn't test enough to see if it's any better. I'm going to swap out 2 more gallons before calling this one a lost cause. I'm guessing this is from when I stuck the nose down in a yuge puddle on Tatas at Rausch Creek 2 summers ago. I had to fully lock and floor it in reverse to get out of that one. And if I recall it took several attempts to get out. I feel like it's gotten progressively worse since then.

So if I do need a new trans is there any reason not to reuse my current torque converter?

I don't see why you would need to chang it??

So if I do need a new trans is there any reason not to reuse my current torque converter?

Yep. that's what's recommended. They get contaminated and although they can be flushed for all the hassle of pulling that trans again - do it right the first time. Especially if your gonna wheel it and be out in the woods. You feel like messing with flecks of metal stuck in a check valve in the valve body out in the woods?

The automatic transmission was invented by a guy who died in an insane asylum - remember that when you try to fix one. Messing with Sasquatch!

My muscle car used to go through TH400's like snake cakes - always got a new converter when it was gone through.

They can drill hole in them and flush them out - but I always bought a new one. Think of it like a clutch. You R&R the trans and you put in a new clutch unless it's newish. The one time you don't it will come back to bite you. Been there and done that. Experience is just a another way of saying: someone who has made all possible mistakes in an area of expertise.

Dub check to make sure the reman unit does not come with a reman converter...if you go that route.

I'd get a new trans and converter.

I would strongly suggest getting a new torque converter when putting in a different transmission. just like @kulangot mentioned, do you want to pull the drivetrain again in a month just because you were trying to save a few pennies?

So how long does it take for a fresh gallon of ATF to circulate through the transmission?

Ok cool. So driving it around the neighborhood and reversing some should do it. It's so nice out today I'd like to do the rest of my gallon swaps.

I've drained and filled 3 gallons, still have the shudder/slipping in reverse under load. Is it worth draining and filling the remaining 2 gallons I already bought or is my fate pretty much sealed at this point.

I don't think it's slipping from old transmission fluid - it's likely an internal fluid leak - O Ring, Seal or check valve. Could also be a worn out mechanical part like a spring or a clutch. Sorry man!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom