Rebuild Rebuild Rebuild!!!! (1 Viewer)

ok. I want to get some info on this before i start.

I am going to restore and make new my mechanical system.I am going to drive my cruiser to a shop and have them make a detailed lsit of what needs to be mechanically fixed . This list will have prices of laybor and parts besides the jobs that need to be done on the list. From there, I am going to pickthe things off of the lsit that i can afford to do in my budget.

I am curious as to how much everyone spent on performing these things ontheir cruisers:

Rebuild the entire driveline ( excluding the tranny , transfercase and engine themselves) ... how much?

body off of frame (cost or if you did it yourself was if difficult and is it worth it to get to everything mechanically?) .....how much?

axle rebuilds ( complete) ........... how much?

maybe Power steering............ how much ( with rebuilt front end?

So any imput would be great

Last edited:
Ok, I'll give this a shot. I am just finishing the driveline. in fact the crank and cam will be back from the machine shop this week. I agree with Joe, if it aint broke, try to save money. If you don't need this rig for a while, then I would say do the whole dang thing. These are some pricing ideas, all the work was done by me...

Front axle=200
rear axle =200
tranny = 150
transfer =100 or so (
head = 175 (head shop:grinpimp: did this one , 3 angle etc)
short block = 550 (rings, all bearings, oil pump, gaskets, machine work)
brakes = 100
frame = 190 (sandblasted and powdercoated)

That may give you an idea sorta, lots of cleaning, and I replaced some stuff like bearings, that didn't needed to be replaced.

Yes. What i am doing is going to have it gone through in extreme detail and quote everything on what it costs that needs fixing / rebuilding/ replacing with new. I feel this is the way to go. I can wait fo ras long as it takes. I just need to find some one that is willing to do the work that is experienced in doing this with alot of 40s of their own. I am maybe looking to mudraks to do this but am not sure on the price. Anyone on here that would be willing to help me out with it. I can drive my parents car for a while but in a year when i go away i need this baby to work perfectly. I don't want to worry about it at all except for maintenance.

anyone else have a list of somesort they made themself with $$$ numbers beside everything in detail?

You can PM me if it is personal and I will not share to anyone else. I am struggling hard on planning this thingy out. I guess people just throw money at this crap and never plan???

That i don't understand. There must be somone on this board that can come up with a detailed practical list or something.

The way the went about it , who they took it to.

I don't need anymore questions about how long it will take, or i don't need this or i don't need that. Just some simple facts about how much these individual costs would be?

Don't mean to bash . Everyone has been incredibly helpfull and it is much appreciated. I just need to get crackin and down to buisiness.

THANX ALL:cheers:

and that is all you did fo rthe resto driveline part of it? Cool

So are you doing a complete frame off renovation or something?? curious thats all. If the cruiser that is in your avitar is yours its hella nice!

orangefj45

Supporting Vendor
Cornbread said:
Ok, I'll give this a shot. I am just finishing the driveline. in fact the crank and cam will be back from the machine shop this week. I agree with Joe, if it aint broke, try to save money. If you don't need this rig for a while, then I would say do the whole dang thing. These are some pricing ideas, all the work was done by me...

Front axle=200
rear axle =200
tranny = 150
transfer =100 or so (
brakes = 100

That may give you an idea sorta, lots of cleaning, and I replaced some stuff like bearings, that didn't needed to be replaced.

those are some pretty conservative figures if you ask me. but then again, people's opinions on the word "rebuild" itself vary greatly as well.

Cornbread said:

Front axle=200
rear axle =200
tranny = 150
transfer =100 or so (
brakes = 100

Those are parts costs only, right, except where noted as machine work? An in frame 'rebuild' with no bore work, and at home replacement of parts in the tranny and transfercase per kit.

Unless I'm mistaken the question was asking for costs of having work done in professional shops as in " to have it gone through in extreme detail and quote everything on what it costs that needs fixing / rebuilding/ replacing with new. I feel this is the way to go. I can wait fo ras long as it takes. I just need to find some one that is willing to do the work that is experienced in doing this with alot of 40s of their own. I am maybe looking to mudraks to do this but am not sure on the price."

OKIE, if you go to any shop, good or bad, and use phrases like "extreme detail" they're going to take you at your word and try to give you what you've asked for. To me that means a no hold back complete overhaul to as new condition regardless the cost. Are you sure that you want to ask for such complete refurbishment? If so I don't think that it's going to help you to ask for such a job and then squirm about the price. It'll make the shop hesitant to start with you. It won't be cheap, and no shop wants to be left holding the bag on such a job.

yeah i understand how they could think that. what i mean is I want it looked over in extreme detail. Then beside every component they go over, i am getting an estimate of parts and labor costs separately. Then i will personally go over the list with my mom and we will check wich things will need to been done or not.

thats how i meant to say it. Im not just going to walts in there and say restore my drivetrain in extremem detail, but yes i feel looking it over in extremem detail gives me an idea of all the components condition of use and i get a better idea of how my vehicle is.

Remember that diagnosis eats time too, and they've got to bill for it. Mechanical repair isn't like body repair where there are paid appraisers who can look at damage and estimate the repair within some specified range. Most mechanical wear is hidden from that kind of view.

Website
www.birfield.com
okie said:
.......I am maybe looking to mudraks to do this but am not sure on the price........

Call him and schedule an appointment to duscuss your thoughts. He's a super cool guy, easy to talk to, and his "attention to detail" is right where you want it. Top Notch.
PMK

okie said:
Rebuild driveline ( except for tranny and engine) paint and all ... how much?

body off of frame ( for easy access) then paint it.....how much?

axle rebuilds ( complete) ........... how much?

maybe Power steering............ how much ( with rebuilt front end?

Parts and labor using $50 per hr shop labor rate (cheap).

1. Rebuild driveline Clutch - $400, transfer case $400

2. Body off frame, paint. 70 hr labor, 400 materials - $3,900

3. Axle rebuilds (not including differential) Front $500 rear $300

4. power steering $1000

It could be a lot more for a shop that charges more normal labor rates.

orangefj45

Supporting Vendor
pygpen said:
Call him and schedule an appointment to duscuss your thoughts. He's a super cool guy, easy to talk to, and his "attention to detail" is right where you want it. Top Notch.
PMK

big ditto on that. gary will take the time to go over the vehicle with you and let you know exactluy what is needed, why it's needed and how much it'll cost.

You might want to contact Mark Algazy at Marksoffroad.net
He is more than capable of doing what you need and he is good coulsel as well.
Going somewhere that specializes in LC's will save you money in the long run.
Good Luck on your project.;)

Ed

Mark's about 400 miles south of her, Ed, maybe a little more. He's down amongst those LA places like on your TV, where they lower cars, paint them silly, and put in booming stereos and those spinners that never stop spinning.
Gotta' effect a guy. :)

honk said:
Mark's about 400 miles south of her, Ed, maybe a little more. He's down amongst those LA places like on your TV, where they lower cars, paint them silly, and put in booming stereos and those spinners that never stop spinning.

And don't forget the sandals.

honk said:

Glad you corrected me, I thought that's what she wanted;)

Your state is too damn big. I thought Norcal was a region that began roughly at SF.

You guys oughta be two states, NorCal and SoCal, or maybe you are?:D

Ed

krzyabncanuck

USFS HOTSHOT
GOLD Star
Just from personal experience. I am going thru my 64 fj45 right now and just parts alone to go completely thru the front / rear ends, engine / tranny / transfer i have about 2500 - 3500 in parts alone. That is with me doing all the labor and the machine shop bill also. That is gears, bearings, seals, and all to completely redo everything inside of each component. Now inside my transfer i had some bad gears so you have to include something like that also.

HTH

I am really afraid to sit down and figure the total out.

Poser

Oh...Durka Durka Durka.
Supporting Vendor
" Rebuild Rebuild Rebuild!!!! "

Why Why Why?????

orangefj45 said:
that'd be nice, we'd have a whole lot more money in our state budget then. georg from norcal......
Naw, You would have more water and less money because you would get Sacramento.

:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom